Notices

Using SR as part of recovery plan

Old 05-07-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Using SR as part of recovery plan

This is a stupid question. I have been around this forum since 2011--I had stopped drinking April 2010, and started again fall 2011.

Mostly,I read posts in Newcomers and Alcoholism, and for a while, Family and Friends. I don't post too often.

I hear many of you say you used SR as a recovery tool (some in addition to other programs, some with their own study, etc.)

My question IS....How did you USE it? chat rooms? Reading in different sections ever day? Posting?

I am wanting to stop lurking and start taking action here.

Thanks to all of you who I feel I know personally from your posts--that don't know diddly about me! :-) I feel like a STALKER.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Come in read some posts comment on a few.

In the early days i was on SR a lot! About 3 hours a night minimum! It was a safe place to ho and feel part of something when AA meetings had finished and everyone else was tucked up in bed.

I came to SR before i stopped drinking, its an extraordinarily useful tool to use and helped me discover which recovery method i wanted to use in the real world.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used SR when I was wanting to stop drinking. It helped me to do that. Now that I'm sober I come here for inspiration and reminders of what can happen if I drink again. I also like helping the newcomers as I was helped when I first came here.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The way that I incorporate SR in to my recovery is that I come on to this site a few times a day. I try to respond to at least a few posts every day. I have learned that for my sobriety it is important for me to "give back" and to share my experience. Reading posts from others, too, is a reminder of where I can go if I don't stay on track as well as reading posts to give me hope and strength of where I want to be
Old 05-07-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like giving others encouragement,that seems to help me as well.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I came to SR about 3 weeks into my first ever attempt at sobriety. I'd read a few books in early sobriety. I guess I must have googled sober and recovery....and got here.

I guess I've gravitated to posts that helped me in different stages...discussions about "the pink cloud", learning from others who tried to moderate, kindling....they were my first real interests. I stuck pretty close to my July class, and still do, even though I slipped on 2 occasions. Those slips then moved me into the next phase....not just "being" sober, but rebuilding my life and a sober version of me.

That is the phase I am in now. Part of that is seeing new people join....and hopefully sharing snippets helps me see how far I've come, and helps them to see what's possible.

I also look at ways members with long term sobriety have improved their lives. I'm open to big book quotes, found looking at the women for sobriety guidelines useful. Sometimes just sharing my thoughts and someone suggesting how they got through a similar situation is enough.

Well, it's working for me being here. Everyone is different and has a different journey. After each of my slips, one work related and one a death in the family...both made me see sobriety isn't just about not drinking...it's what life looks like without alcohol, dealing with it, dealing with my reaction to it (confronting!)....along with facing how I correct what I can to come to terms with my past.

Not sure if the above answers how SR helped. All I know is this is the sanest and happiest I've been in a very, very long time.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Inwas about two years sober when I came to SR. The focus of my life during those two years was so narrow that working any kind of a program was not possible. As many have said in their posts here on SR, not drinking is only part of sobriety, somwhen my life opened up again, I joined SR to help me address the personal issues which led to my drinking. I read the many articles found on this site, joined a Class, read posts and responded when I felt I had something to add or could be of help.

So far, this has been working well.

Glad that you decided to start posting, WritingFromLife.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I am in control

I think many people use it as a tool to both quit drinking and as well, to get motivation and stay quit. It's great because it's 24/7. There's even a mobile ap!
Old 05-07-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think this forum will be the best for my recovery. Several years ago I was in outpatient and worked the steps, AA meeting etc. However I'm rather ADD. Things don't stick as well in my brain like at a meeting. I can come here and read and let things soak in. Re-read the same posts over if I need to. Everyone has a tool that works for them the best. For me SR is the place.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like the monthly threads. I joined the thread of the month I quit, then also joined the "One Year and Under" thread. I cruise through the whole site scanning for topics I find intriguing. I find I not only learn a lot, but am able to get my mind thinking and responding and moving forward, too. I really enjoy SR.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had been in recovery for a few years before I found SR.

Before SR, I turned to books to help guide me in recovery.

SR is my lifeline and I check in here daily and have for years. It helps me in so many ways. I have learned so much about Gratitude here because that was not something I had much experience with. I learned how important journaling can be in recovery. I have learned about tolerance when dealing with people whose recovery programs are very different from mine. I have learned the importance of saying 'No' and not feeling guilty. When I'm having a bad day and don't have much to give, I always find something inspirational and uplifting to read. (Btw, I have never used Chat).

I think SR is what you make of it.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I signed up for SR in August of 2012. I posted once but felt it was inauthentic bc I was still active. I waited to post again until I was sober, which was later in August - 27th of 2013.

I had a lot of International travel for wrok early in recovery and was a mess. I used SR as a lifeline and learned a lot. Some was good, some info didn't work for me. I liked the interactive nature of putting an idea out there and getting feedback. I met some friends on here, some of which came from me pissing them off actually (surprise surprise) and one of them feels like I have known her all my life.

I check in daily and read and sometimes post too much. I like more of the theoritical discussions but have never ventured into the chat section. Stick around and good luck.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Lots of good advice here, writingfromlife. How did I use SR? I heeded the advice that was given
Old 05-07-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ST has been my lifeline since April 13, 2014.
It is helping me to stay sober because of the anonymous aspect. I don't feel weak, stupid or a looser here. I don't have to wear a mask. I can interact with other Recovering addicts, learn from their experience, pick up the tools that work for others, check in;be accountable to others. When you from friendships with others in recovery, a bond occurs, and you simply do not want to disappoint or trigger another.
Everything I read, I learn to apply to my own journey. I also go to AA f2f meetings. Have a sponsor and working the steps. Best regards to you Dave, you've already started using SR, just by asking for help.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When I am feeling blue or out of sorts, I can post here. I will read what others have posted and comment. I receive and give encouragement. And when I think my life totally stinks, I can come here to remind myself that my life is actually pretty good. And that others before me have triumphed over their problems associated with alcohol.

A difference between being here (SR) and going to AA meetings it anonymity. Sure AA is supposed to be anonymous. But people see you and know where you live know details of you that they shouldn't - I know it's up to me to be discreet as I need to be. But here there is a feeling of not being judged or looked down upon. It is refreshing to see so many new 'faces' on a regular basis rather than seeing the same people week after week saying the same thing over and over again. There are different avenues of support here. And it is also a place to just come and occupy your time if that's all you need to do. The games, the chat, and so on. I am still learning how to use this site. I'm glad it's here.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

In the early days of Sobriety TIME was the enemy, if I could just get to bedtime without drinking I was safe from drinking that night, so SR was a great thing to get involved in, read, post, get support, learn about my addiction from people with experience, but most importantly kill those long hours, ps for anyone who doesn't know, there is a games sections, hours of fun to be had!!

The longer I've been Sober the issue becomes random cravings, stressful issues in life, social events that I'm invited to . . . in other words the task of changing my whole lifestyle to one not revolving around where my next drink was coming from, so the experience of people on SR has been invaluable to learn and make necessary changes in my own life.

Also not many people know I had a drink problem, I was a "very functioning" and so I didn't suddenly announce it to the world when I became Sober, and many of those that I did share with can't just accept it, so my Sobriety became a very lonely place at times, enter SR and an amazing bunch of people, non judgemental, listen, I've had some great times within the SR community over the last 6 months.

Finally, I think addiction can be a very selfish thing, SR provides an opportunity to focus on others, not just myself all the time, I'm not sure how that helps my overall self, but it's a great feeling to share my experiences, maybe it'll add to my inward health as well as the physical, who knows, but it brightens up my day to be able to help others in their struggles.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
In the early days of Sobriety TIME was the enemy, if I could just get to bedtime without drinking I was safe from drinking that night, so SR was a great thing to get involved in, read, post, get support, learn about my addiction from people with experience, but most importantly kill those long hours, ps for anyone who doesn't know, there is a games sections, hours of fun to be had!!

The longer I've been Sober the issue becomes random cravings, stressful issues in life, social events that I'm invited to . . . in other words the task of changing my whole lifestyle to one not revolving around where my next drink was coming from, so the experience of people on SR has been invaluable to learn and make necessary changes in my own life.

Also not many people know I had a drink problem, I was a "very functioning" and so I didn't suddenly announce it to the world when I became Sober, and many of those that I did share with can't just accept it, so my Sobriety became a very lonely place at times, enter SR and an amazing bunch of people, non judgemental, listen, I've had some great times within the SR community over the last 6 months.

Finally, I think addiction can be a very selfish thing, SR provides an opportunity to focus on others, not just myself all the time, I'm not sure how that helps my overall self, but it's a great feeling to share my experiences, maybe it'll add to my inward health as well as the physical, who knows, but it brightens up my day to be able to help others in their struggles.

Amen
Old 05-07-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I enjoy reading people's experiences and daily struggles on SR: I feel a real kinship with people here.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I can't thank all of you enough. Not just for these replies (of which every single one is helpful) but also for all your sharing I have been reading over the years. Seriously, I've said it before -I truly respect ALL of you.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Never Too Many Tools

Even though I just joined, and havent been on in a couple days, This has been a great help already(thank u everyone), and you can never have enough tools to fight our disease. I attend a meeting a day, step groups a few nights, read the Big Book as much as possible and come here when Im home and alone with no one to talk to. Like they say read a few posts and comment like your in a meeting or a group outside and good luck!