Notices

Using SR as part of recovery plan

Old 05-07-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
In the early days i was on SR a lot! About 3 hours a night minimum! It was a safe place to ho
I think you meant 'go' LOL

I got involved in the community here WFL - I posted my own troubles, I listened to others problems...I learned a lot about how to live a sober happy life here

The monthly threads weren't around then but I recommend them, and the other group threads like One Year and Under.

Chat wasn't here then either or the blogs, but feel free to check those out too

I'd been a loner for too long. My life was lived in my head.

I liked being part of the community here.
It felt safe to me - and still does.

D
Old 05-07-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

In the early days of Sobriety TIME was the enemy, if I could just get to bedtime without drinking I was safe from drinking that night, so SR was a great thing to get involved in, read, post, get support, learn about my addiction from people with experience, but most importantly kill those long hours, ps for anyone who doesn't know, there is a games sections, hours of fun to be had!!

The longer I've been Sober the issue becomes random cravings, stressful issues in life, social events that I'm invited to . . . in other words the task of changing my whole lifestyle to one not revolving around where my next drink was coming from, so the experience of people on SR has been invaluable to learn and make necessary changes in my own life.

Also not many people know I had a drink problem, I was a "very functioning" and so I didn't suddenly announce it to the world when I became Sober, and many of those that I did share with can't just accept it, so my Sobriety became a very lonely place at times, enter SR and an amazing bunch of people, non judgemental, listen, I've had some great times within the SR community over the last 6 months.

Finally, I think addiction can be a very selfish thing, SR provides an opportunity to focus on others, not just myself all the time, I'm not sure how that helps my overall self, but it's a great feeling to share my experiences, maybe it'll add to my inward health as well as the physical, who knows, but it brightens up my day to be able to help others in their struggles.
I could not even come close to saying it better.

A few times I have close to relapse and I have come here and have read the despair of those recently relapsed and it brings it all back to me and I think why would I drink. My heart goes out to them....and I am thankful
Old 05-07-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I found this site when I was 5 months sober. Never left!

I use the online chat meetings that they do Tuesdays & Fridays. I also spend most of my time in the newcomer and family forum. The newcomer forum keeps me humble, reminds me where I came from and to let people know that sobriety is possible.

The family forum reminds me of the person I don't want to be anymore. And it reminds me that not everything is about me, my drinking does affect everyone around me too.

I even gave my alcohol counsellor the link to this site and he was very interested in checking it out. I hope he has given it out to others.