Notices

New here

Old 05-06-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I am in control

New here

Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster and all of that. I just joined about 10 minutes ago, but I've been reading these forums for well over a year. I'm 34 years old, with a long and troubled history of alcohol abuse, but I'm now in a Harm Recovery program and it has been working for me for both safer drinking when I do drink and moderating my drinking nights and number of drinks. I always figured that moderation wouldn't work for me, but so far it's been successful.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello to everyone! I will continue to look forward to reading your posts.

Johnny
Old 05-06-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I'm glad you found something that works for you.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Out of curiosity, what is a Harm Recovery program? I think you are the first I read about that succeeded with moderation, I myself find it really hard. Great work on taking control.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Welcome to posting on the forum!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I am in control

I should mention that this "harm reduction" program is not for everyone. I'm using it as a "one last chance" type of thing and if I don't find it helps me, I will look to quit drinking completely. If you've already quit and have a number of abstinent days already, then HR may be going backwards. All I can say is it seems to be working for me, but who knows if it will be a permanent thing. Different strokes for different folks!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

Welcome!

Moderation would never work for me, or the majority of people who post here. If you genuinely find that it works for you, then fair play.

I just have one question, is it worth it? Following a set of rules like that every time you want to have a drink, especially for someone with a history of problem drinking, seems like a nightmare. (And if I'm being honest, a disaster waiting to happen). It just doesn't seem like it would be very enjoyable.

Like I said though, if it works for you then that is great. I'm certainly not one to judge.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I am in control

Originally Posted by TroubledJoe View Post
Welcome!

Moderation would never work for me, or the majority of people who post here. If you genuinely find that it works for you, then fair play.

I just have one question, is it worth it? Following a set of rules like that every time you want to have a drink, especially for someone with a history of problem drinking, seems like a nightmare. (And if I'm being honest, a disaster waiting to happen). It just doesn't seem like it would be very enjoyable.

Like I said though, if it works for you then that is great. I'm certainly not one to judge.
Fair question.. "is it worth it?". I don't know. It seems like a long list of rules, but I have them ingrained by now, since it's been so long, so I don't necessarily have to think about them all the time. I'll be honest - I do get enjoyment out of drinking (I think all of us have at one point), so drinking in a controlled and relatively safe manner while at the same time following a limit structure, I can say it's worth it to me, because I view it as a challenge and it actually becomes kind of like a game.

I looked at my history with alcohol and it became clear that most of my destructive habits had to do with drinking hard liquor while in public. When I first began my "harm reduction" program, I honestly didn't have much faith, and the next step for me was always attempting to quit permanently. Luckily, I like beer, and I never really have any ambition to drink anything harder, and if I keep it to 2 days per week (I've slipped up a couple of times but not very often) it's been fine.

So basically.. as long as everything is proceeding like it has been for the past year +.. then yes, it is worth it. But like you said.. if it does get worse.. and who knows, it very well might.. then I will have to (try to) quit permanently.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Whoa! You are fast JohhnySober99! You answered above before I could post this below...but I'll post anyway

Originally Posted by TroubledJoe View Post
I just have one question, is it worth it? Following a set of rules like that every time you want to have a drink, especially for someone with a history of problem drinking, seems like a nightmare.
Yeahhhh. I second TroubledJoes's questions. Something suggests to me JohnnySober99 that you might have a little nagging going on in the back of your mind?

But hey! Obviously do not know anything about you and if the Harm Recovery Program is working for you that is great.

This SR forum is fabulous! Welcome again.

Last edited by Verte; 05-06-2014 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Slow typing...
Old 05-06-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I am in control

Originally Posted by LeTheVerte View Post
Yeahhhh. I second TroubledJoes's questions. Something suggests to me JohnnySober99 that you might have a little nagging going on in the back of your mind?

But hey! Obviously do not know anything about you and if the Harm Recovery Program is working for you that is great.

This SR forum is fabulous! Welcome again.
Thanks for your post! There's definitely nagging at some points.. for sure. I'm not really a "normal drinker" at all. Otherwise, I wouldn't need a program or anything like that. I do think about drinking on days that I don't drink.. but I find setting up "drinking nights" in advance (i.e. saying Thursday and Saturday will be my drinking nights this week), I subconsciously accept that, and while I definitely think about drinking more than the regular person, it seems to have been working so far.

Thanks for your reply
Old 05-06-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I'm glad that you've found a plan that works for you. I can say with 100% certainty that I could never adhere to that plan. I could probably do it for a little while. But I know I would just be setting myself up for an inevitable days long bender. I've tried moderation and for me personally, I can't do it. I don't have the self control. Imagine that, an addict/alcoholic with self control issues
Old 05-06-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I am in control

Originally Posted by BigTeddy View Post
Welcome to SR! I'm glad that you've found a plan that works for you. I can say with 100% certainty that I could never adhere to that plan. I could probably do it for a little while. But I know I would just be setting myself up for an inevitable days long bender. I've tried moderation and for me personally, I can't do it. I don't have the self control. Imagine that, an addict/alcoholic with self control issues
Haha, that's true. Who knows, I might be posting this exact same post in a couple of months from now. If that happens, I'll be on board with a quitting-for-good plan.