Notices

i really mean it this time! appreciate some help?!

Old 05-05-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i really mean it this time! appreciate some help?!

i have 'prepared' (as much as i can) for quitting this time. i set a date to quit (that date being today), so i knew this was coming. i have printed out a calendar from the time i began drinking to the end of this year-all days so far are crossed off, today is circled, it also has markers for past promises to quit that failed etc...
i also have lots of horror stories from the internet and reasons why people stopped drinking, why their lives are so much better now. i have a lovely letter from my partner telling me his reasons that he wishes i would stop drinking. i have listed my reasons for wanting to stop/wanting to continue and the pros (what pros?) and cons of drinking, how it has affected me etc.
(this may all sound dumb, but really these pieces of paper have helped me massively in the past, so i totally trust them).
i think i have everything i need. lots of ideas and hope.
i am here today to ask for words of support that i can also print out and keep. then when i feel weak, i can look at them and feel stronger.
i look forward to any advice/support/stories of hope and recovery-anything really-the good, the bad and the ugly-all will help me.
thank you x
Old 05-05-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey again smadams11
Good decision you've made

as far as advice - post here as often as you need to...ask for help, ask questions. Join the Class of May thread if you like
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2014-a-3.html

Use all the support you can find - and don't be afraid to make changes in your life that will help you stay sober

D
Old 05-05-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

smadams I just asked myself what hasn't improved in my life since I became sober and the answer came back "nothing". Every single thing in my life is better: health, fitness, my relationships, my mental health, my emotional health, my energy, achievements, aspirations, balance, peace of mind. Everything. I'm not suggesting my life is perfect because it isn't, no-one's is, but it sure is a good life and I'm a much nicer, clearer thinking, patient person.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Would luv to be able to give u some positive from me, but it will happen. So I will say good luck on your journey and I have heavy shoulders if u ever need to talk x
Old 05-05-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Smadams I just try and recall that feeling when you wake up after drinking, what a horrible sensation it is. I use that to aid my recovery I know I never want that dreadful feeling again.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HI smadams, good choice to stay sober - once and for all!

There are lots of stories of success and encouragement around the forum. Take some time to read up. I'm sure you will find a few items that ring a bell for you. In the mean time, just stick to a plan of abstinence. And look forward to a life without misery from drinking.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

smadams - it helped me to start thinking about it as embracing sobriety rather than quitting my DOC. The concept of quitting / stopping was a constant reminder that I was giving something up. I had to believe that sober life was one worth living and was going to be better than a life of using. That one wasn't too hard for me because the using life had become really miserable.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi - good luck.
Are you going it alone or getting group support from somewhere?
I will be 2 months sober tomorrow (5th May) and don't think I could have done it without the support of the people at AA, as I wasn't prepared for all the emotional stuff that comes with quitting.

I find using the daily reflection ....
Alcoholics Anonymous : DAILY REFLECTIONS

... and writing in my journal helps keep me focussed as well.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

what OpioPhobe said. For me it is how much better life is now that I am sober. All the good things. I am loving the sober journey. I embrace each new day, with a stronger body and mind. I am in control of me, not the alcohol. As long as I never take the first drink, I am in control. Do not take the first drink NO MATTER WHAT!!!! You can do this. I am glad you are joining us on our journey. Big hug, you have made a great decision.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just clicked on the link for AA daily reflections, may 5. Perfect for this thread. Thanks beccybean. Good luck smadams. There is a wealth of support and experience here. I've made the mistake of thinking too much about something instead of just doing it. You can do it!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OH MY GOD - It's the 5th of May TODAY, not tomorrow. 2 months sober today!!

Woo hoo!!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
OH MY GOD - It's the 5th of May TODAY, not tomorrow. 2 months sober today!!

Woo hoo!!
Well done Beccybean that's a great achievement.