Notices

Equal parts Hopeful and Hopeless

Old 04-21-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Equal parts Hopeful and Hopeless

Ugh im back. Hi my name is Leslie and im an alcoholic. I hate those words with a passion. Ive got myself a nice little routine of binge drinking on weekends. Im not able to stick to any goals I set for myself. Im sustaining.. but not progressing. I may be over-dramatizing the situation but if I could minus the alcohol from my life for good I know id benefit. Its a very powerful crutch for me. I got a fortune cookie last night that read "a gambler loses not only what he has, he also loses what he doesnt have" I know thats gonna be my story if it isnt already if I dont quit. If drinking was doing me good why would I wake up with such enormous feelings of guilt paranoia and depression. Ive got this amazing child n I really want 2 be 100% present for him.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think there's a little "gambler" in us all... don't you? No matter what the addiction, we all risk everything, every time we indulge it...

Its a hot mess... the good news is that its up to YOU to change it, and the bad news is that its up to YOU to change it... Living a lifestyle of instant gratification (I want what I want when I want it, regardless of the consequences) sets us up to expect the same of recovery... and its just the opposite. The idea is simple... do the next right thing you know to do... one right thing at a time.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank u for the chuckle and the truth! It doesnt have to be this heart wrenching struggle. Just do the next right thing. **** even I can do that. But then there r my crazy emotions lol
Old 04-21-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh.. emotions... I actually understand those now... The best news yet is that YOU take control of them (emotions) - they don't get to control you...
My former self would quickly douse them as soon as they reared their little heads... this did not serve me well, but I was too "caught up in my feelings" to notice.
I'm grateful today that I was finally able to learn the difference...
Old 04-21-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LiveLikeGold... I hear gold keeps going up. Why not live like gold? I really like that fortune cookie, "a gambler loses not only what he has, he also loses what he doesn't have"
That of course is a reference to the future for me. My POTENTIAL. Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish... Why gamble on a bright future?

You can do this. Skip the weekends. Join our sober weekend thread - and keep at it. Whenever you feel the need to drink, post it here. Then read some of the posts of others who are suffering. You can win this battle easily. If you can make it through the week, then there is no reason you can't stay sober this weekend. Try it, you'll like it.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Youre awesome L Brain I really like your post!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back LLG
Whats your plan going forward now?

D
Old 04-21-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Really glad to see you back here LLG.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope this time you can get sober for good.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know how it feels - I did reduce my drinking a great degree, but I've halted further progress and cant jump that last hurdle!