Notices

Easter scrooge needs advice

Old 04-21-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Actions speak louder than words. I hope you stop the self-pitying "poor me", blaming your nasty attitude towards your wife on your "withdrawal" because I can see it formulating into a justification to drink....just to relax of course....6 beers, you have it all planned out?

nope, you cannot change the past, but changing the future is possible. Your children also deserve a kind sober father who treats both them and their mother with respect.

I don't mean to sound extra harsh, but your words echo so much of what is heard on the other side of this forum....friends and family.....You stopped drinking and that is great, but being nasty to your sick pregnant wife while sober, complaining about the house and putting your daughter to bed and thinking you can fix it with a bouquet of flowers is just clueless.

women who take care of the family, working either at home or a job or most times BOTH, work 24/7.

Thanks for the tough love Fandy. You are right. Being a nice and understanding husband is more important then flowers. I can not fix these issues now but I can apologize, be more empathetic, and become a better person through my actions in the future. I just feel bad that I was a jerk to her and wanted to vent. Thanks for putting me in my place. (again selfishness of alcoholism. The world does not revolve around us.) Being a supportive person and having a safe delivery is what I need to focus on.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
Did you make it to the AA meeting?
Deeker, I made it to my first meeting on Easter ironically. I drove to a meeting early in the morning but they were closed due to the holiday. Then I drove to another one a few towns over. I was welcomed right away. People told me their stories of darkness and how they lost most of everything. I have not hit that point. It was truly a real eye opener. I also learned why step 1 is so important. If you have one drink it will send you spiraling for another few years or to death. I am lucky that I have not been to the depths of many there but blessed their experiences had such an impact my thoughts about drinking 1-2 on the holiday. I look forward to going back. I was also the youngest one there. And they all said man I wished I quit drinking when I was your age. They referred to all the time they lost with family members an reckless behaviors and people lost to addictions. Alcohol is fun at first. Makes you loose and on top of the world. But then it becomes a necessity to function and turns you into addict. That's certainty no way to live.