Notices

Klonopin and Recovery

Old 04-17-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Klonopin and Recovery

Has anyone been able to successfully recover while maintaining a Klonopin regimen for anxiety? I am not sure if there is any influence from my medications that might cause a relapse.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't answer that question, however I will say this; in my opinion, taking xanax or meds of the sort blocks out the underlying issues that need to be addressed.

I suffer from the worst anxiety I think imaginable, and I'm not on any meds.

I'm not a DR though so i'm just stating what I honestly feel
Old 04-17-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have major anxiety to and am on nothing except Trazadone to help me sleep. My doctor wanted to put me on something short term as I go through my recovery but I'm feeling better than I did and decided against it. I agree with Krete, it does sort of numb the underlying issues but you can only speak to you doc about that. He is the only one who would know what will work for you!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know Klonapin is a benzo, and benzo, while they do help with anxiety, are also addictive and can have the same effects when discontinued as alcohol, you should probably talk to the doctor about a possible taper and then perhaps move to something in a different category. I used to take a lot of lorazapam and when I was in detox they had me on a librium taper and they destroyed the lorazapam. I left with Visteril for anxiety, and trazedone to sleep....personally after a bit of not drinking the anxiety started to go away a bit, but there was and always is some.....one thing that has helped me a ton was l-theanine....which is just b-1, drinking depletes that greatly and it has a huge effect on anxiety. the nice part of the b-1 is that it doesnt make you drowsy.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a long, ugly relationship with Klonopin. It worked for my panic and anxiety for 10 years, but to do so took an ever increasing dosage as tolerance and interdose withdrawal kicked in.

But it was that same mechanism that makes Klonopin work that also contributed to my alcoholism. Benzos create that one emotion those with panic and anxiety crave -- complete, total, uncompromised apathy.

I had to lose all care in order to not panic. That apathy then applied to drinking and smoking pot. I didn't care if I was sober, either.

Tread carefully.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I am thinking of using it while I go through my detox because I have a prescription, but no health care insurance. Not sure if it is wise, but it may be the thing that keeps the DTs away.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am almost six months sober from alcohol and I take a small amount of klonopin at night, because of my seizure history. It is prescribed by my neurologist and I am under strict supervision. I take it exactly as prescribed (no taking more than I am supposed to) and I haven't had any problems with it. I haven't had any seizures or jerks since then.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I started out with xanax, but the anxiety has gone away a bit on its own. I was surprised how much alcohol increased my anxiety.
As far as PAWS....the first 30 days I needed aide mostly in sleep time. That was the hardest, and less sleep would cause more anxiety. Make sure you get sleep.
I take all B vitamins 1-12 but I-theanine once depleted can cause anxiety in myself as well.Good point hockeywhino made. I am over 4 and half months sober and taking .25 xanax only 2 times a week. When I have a bad attack. Good luck. You will find the right balance for yourself. :-)