Notices

Triggers

Old 04-17-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Triggers

I many triggers I'm trying not to think of situations in advance my main one is a bad day! If I have a bad day I used to think oh in entitled to a drink

Or family, sadly enough it's a trigger with so many health problems in the family namely my sister who has hep c and cancer and my mother who died of cancer a few years back.

Now with a clearer head I can say I was feeling sorry for myself and then reaches for that bottle

What are y'all's triggers and how do I deal?
Old 04-17-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

At the end of my drinking career everything was a trigger and was en excuse to drink.

Now that I am sober I know I have to be careful with Stress, Angriness, and loneliness.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stress, anxiety, inability to say no to people and therefore putting more pressure on myself. Learning to cope by taking up meditation, thinking before I speak, distracting myself by changing my routine, just taking a deep breath.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What are your triggers? When did you just say to heck with it and just drink?
Write these situations down on paper. At the end of that list write down, "I don't really need to drink over this." Whenever you feel an urge or craving, look at your list. If it's already on there, check it and then go to the line, "I don't need to drink over this" and check it. Don't drink. Keep adding to the list when something new comes up and always put, I don't need to drink over this. Check it off as you go. Try it. Keep that list with you. Keep checking the "I don't need to drink over this." line. Use it as a constant reminder that you don't really need to drink.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Anger, anxiety, fear, feeling powerless at work (job to do, but no authority/resources to do it), arguments with husband or parents.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Breathing.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good idea lbrian and lol about the breathing part
Old 04-17-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stress. Happiness. fatigue. Long weekend. Sun shining. Cloudy. Sad. Spousal fight. Kids fight. Work stress. My list just gets bigger.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jealousy is a huge trigger for me. Always has been. I'm working on it.

Good weather is also a big trigger for me. Interesting because when I drank on nice days I really just ended up staying inside on the couch all day (or in a dark bar), go figure.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Boy ohhh boy... Triggers! I think my triggers were just buried in the struggles of life. I think it's natural to run and hide to stay on cruise control. Life is difficult and I'm learning new healthier coping mechanisms and I am actually more in touch with my feelings. I can tell you how I feel and usually nail down why I feel that way. Before I quit drinking I really didn't feel anything.

I was taught at a young age to suppress my feelings and just power through. I believe this is what led to the necessity of some outlet to cope with the struggles of life. ALCOHOL. Man, it loved me and was always there when I needed it. That always hit the reward center immediately! When you do this for years and years it takes a toll on you physically and mentally. I had to learn all over again how to cope with my daily feelings in a healthy way. Sure I get the blues but who doesn't and I'm actually finding that my worst day sober isn't nearly as bad as being drunk all the time.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I sometimes used to be secretly please when I had a bad day.

It would give me an excuse to drink myself silly.

I was also guilty of starting arguments or rows that I could then use as a reason to drink. Thats not nice behaviour.

I can say, after 2 years without a drink, I don't do that equation in my head anymore.

That bad day = lots of booze.

It has taken time though.

I have a new equation now.

Bad day x alcohol = more bad days & problems.

Keep going. Distract yourself, so you don't automatically rush to booze cabinet when faced with a bad day.