Notices

Codeine Recovering

Old 04-15-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codeine Recovering

Hi,
I'm really nervous and even embarrassed to be posting here but seeing other people who've gone through the same makes it much easier. I took my last 2 nurofen plus tablets(ibuprofen and 12.8mg codeine) on April 12. Before that I was taking anywhere from 8-12 a day for at least 3 years. I'm not really sure how I even started taking them but it happened. Nobody knew until I decided to quit and now my 2 closest friends are my support. I saw the doctor on Monday about having blood tests done to check my kidneys, liver and thyroid and I find out the results next Tuesday. I joined this forum really for support in regards to the withdrawal symptoms. I have a pounding headache, achy and jittery body, Hot and cold flashes, and really bad digestion problems. I can't eat without spending ages on the toilet a few hours later. I work full time and can't afford time off. I just need to get over my stomach problems and then I'm sure I can handle this.
Thanks for any feedback you can provide
Old 04-15-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome yellowducky

I have no experience with codeine withdrawal myself, but others here will. Feel free to check out our substance abuse forum too
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
D
Old 04-15-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you! I'm sorry have I posted in the wrong section? I'm sitting at work holding off on my lunch break because it's so close to my local chemist. I don't feel confident that I can walk past without picking up a small pack. I keep thinking that even of I take only 2 a day ill be okay. I can't though. I need to quit for good. I want my happy life back.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not the wrong section at all - you are very welcome here...just trying to help you find other threads

I think if you could take 2 a day you would have - 2 a day wouldn't do much for you now anyway..right?

coming off codeine can't be fun but I know it's not lethal.
Hang in there!

do ask your Dr for help tho if you need it

D
Old 04-15-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck with it all I'm on day 3 and its been a shocker so far but I know I'm doing the right thing just have to keep reminding myself no more pills no more pills the withdrawals are in full swing and I'm doing everything in my power not to go to the chemist.
You can do it there are many amazing ppl on here that are helping each other.
Stay strong and good luck
Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi coco! I had googled codeine addiction and came across your post. I could relate to you on sooooo many levels! I am so eager to get over this. Yesterday I left work a half hour early, came home and slept most of the evening. Today I was able to work all day but as soon as I got home I fell asleep. The headache is really bad today. I'm allowing myself 2 panadol daily to help the pain but they aren't doing much, more of a placebo effect I think. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes the headaches and lets be honest the whole situation is awful I think the physics symptoms are easing as today is the first day my legs are not hurting!!! I got panadol and the same thing i don't think they do much and unfortunately for me when i take them for some strange reason I'm hoping to feel like I did on codeine.. weird way of thinking but anyway keep on going and trust me it does get that little bit easier as the hours pass.
good luck
Old 04-16-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand what you mean about the panadol. And I'm sorry I haven't replied your private message. Apparently I haven't posted enough yet but I've been trying
Today is much better for me. I still have a headache but the upset stomach and achy body seems to have gone for the most part. I have also noticed that among all of this I've also cut out caffeine. I used to drink so much coffee! So I guess that's a winning point too
Old 04-16-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

You should be ok to send PMs now YD

D
Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks D!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm no expert butti strongly recomend you see a doctor within a few days , for us hevier regular drinkers +6-10 drinks a night . going cold turkey can be dangerous ( its still the path I took but I went to a doctor day 2 and check my blood presure twice a day and know what to look for ) I'm sure there is probably things to watch out for with codine. I'm not trying to scare you , far from it !! I think its great your going clean . and your at a great support site , good luck
Old 04-16-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow caffeine as well.. well done!! Don't think I could do both at the same time so thats awesome work!!!
Im still in lockdown to tempted and today has been the worst for me just wanting to get some to have handy.. but I just keep telling myself no more pills
Keep going your doing great my body still aches and I'm so exhausted but just think hour by hour you are doing it!!
Old 04-17-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hows it going.. hope your doing well!!!
Old 04-09-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry to bring up an old post but i self medicated with alcohol and OTC codeine for a long time.

Still drinking but stopped the codeine. Day 3 is the worst then it gets so much better.

Nurofen plus taker (upto 30 a day) to "cure my anxiety". Stopped that, now its time to stop the booze
Old 04-09-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Yellow ducky you are most welcome here

Otc painkiller addiction is very real and wrecks lives

Hang around and you will find good support here

Lean into us

V
Old 04-09-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome!