Notices

help

Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help

Need help and advice. Tommorrow I will try to stop drinking. I'm 39 and and slowly killing myself. God i hate alcohol. Today a had 20cl vodka with breakfast, then another 20cl after i woke 3 hours later. Now I'm having 4 cans of 5 percent lager and some whiskey. Just feel so ill without it, and as soon as I have the drink the pain goes. Hate myself, really do. I used to be so fit that when I woke I felt I could run all day, now I'm a mess.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I would recommend that you stop drinking NOW, and get yourself to an AA meeting or call AA and ask for help.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Been there, felt the same way. Only thing to do is stop. You may want to get a doctor's advice as detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous, but I didn't know that and just quit at home. I survived, thankfully, but it was unpleasant.

I am 40 days clean from all mind altering drugs other than caffeine. We are here to support you.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you are at the stage where you are drinking to stave off withdrawals, you should detox under medical supervision. Withdrawals from alcohol is serious stuff.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang In There

Remember it is a process. Stop drinking with a set goal of X days. The first three days you will feel like you are going to die. You will be physically ill. Drink a ton of water and vitamins.

When you get through that three days, have two more. After 5 days you should start feeling a little better physically. Mentally is another story, it takes a very long time for the years of alcohol abuse to leave your body.

Your electrolytes will be off, you make have some low blood sugar as your body is trying to figure out where its supply has gone.

Shoot for a month. Stay busy. Go to your doctor if your anxiety is too much.

It is a process. You can do this. Stay close to this forum. Read it daily. Post when you feel like you are falling apart. You will have days where you feel like you are on top of the world and then you will feel terrible again.

It has been over 8 months since I took control of my life. I am not perfect, nor am I sober. But I am alive and wake up every morning feeling good.

One day at a time is all you can do.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice. Tomorrow I start a 3 day night shift, its the only time I dont drink, I do this every 3 weeks.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks solosweat. I can do the 3 nights without alcohol, but then it kicks in again, need a drink, need a drink. Find myself at the shops bying alcohol and dont know how I got there, so wierd.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do this Riprap. Welcome to SR!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you shared your feelings here riprap. You're among people who truly understand and care. It sounds like you're ready to get free - we know you can do it. Keep posting and reading here - we are with you.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the support guys, I'll keep you posted and I'll try to stay strong.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I totally know where you are coming from and you have arrived at the right place xxxxxxx
Old 04-14-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you feel ill without it, I recommend seeing a Dr riprap. Detox can sometimes be problematic for some of us.

D
Old 04-14-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great news about wanting to quit, that is the essential first step! Please be really careful detoxing- DT's and seizures can take several days to set in, so just because you've made it 3 days, does not mean you are out of the woods. If you don't know what I'm talking about, please do some research here and on a site like webMD.com, or about.com/alcoholism. best of luck, post back and let us know how you are doing.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome RipRap, sorry your going though this , but we all have I think at some point. I may be wrong but you say every 3 weeks you don't drink for 3 nights and you don't seem to be freaking till the 3 nights are over. I have a sneaky suspicion that you could stretch that to say a week if you really want to. I know you CAN! You say you used to be in great shape, I think you still are but the demon wants you to drink. But if you go 3 days without being uncomfortable, you can do a week! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby