Notices

Broken record

Old 04-13-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I thought this was good: Alcohol Addiction Treatment and Self-Help: How to Stop Drinking and Start Recovery
Lots of options just a google away. The "support groups" link in the article has a good description of different options.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
What worked for me was taking it one day at a time in the beginning, checking in here daily, thinking through to the end of what happens the morning after, and keeping my commitment not to drink. I had to keep trying…and trying. Don't give up.

That is so true for me too. One day at a time. I post everyday on the 24 hour thread, come here often, try not to miss Tuesday and Friday meetings here, and I don't pick up the FIRST drink, no matter what. If I feel I need a drink I come here. Go to the chat room, eat ice cream ( I never feel like drinking when I am eating ice cream.) Most of all I commit to myself not to drink. Wecan all do this, one day at a time. Hang in there. You can do this.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was a failure too, over and over, until at last I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink. Simple, but not easy, but it can be done.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Unchartedxo

If everything you've tried so far hasn't helped maybe it's time to try new things? - AA or another group?

Perhaps the 'Celebrate Recovery' group if you're a Christian?

D
Old 04-14-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was a binge drinker, I could go weeks or months without a drink, but when I drank it was always to excess. Either I drank until the alcohol was gone or I passed out. This went on for years, periods of sobriety and then back to drinking to excess once a week or month, whichever. Each time, the next day I was filled with remorse. As the years went by I tried many methods to remain sober, people talk about them here on SR and you can look online for ways to become sober and most important stay sober. In the end, for myself, I was so tired of drinking to excess and making myself ill...I found SR and was here daily...reading posts and any recovery material I could find. I also took what I had learned from therapy, AA, AVRT, Smart recovery...I tried so many things to stop drinking. One day I just made up my mind to put recovery first, no excuses to take the first drink. It was difficult, around month 4 or 5, I nearly drank, luckily I knew I had committed to honesty and would have to tell my SR about a slip, so I didn't drink. Keep trying, don't give up and take care of yourself.