Notices

Need help !

Old 04-11-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help !

Hi
Think I need help. I'm confused about something.
There are a lot of addictions in my family some members have died
And some still drinking.
For the past few years iv been worried about me. Am I am alcoholic.
Iv always binge drank And always the the point of blackout. Do t drink everyday but when I go out with friends this still happens. I don't know when my cut off point is. Have a 3 small children now so I do not go out much instead I drink at home. I find I want to drink almost every evening. One bottle of wine and I never what to stop at that if there is another bottle there il drink that and if that's gone I look for more. Get really pissed if nothing left.
Iv tried to go a week without drinking in the evenings and I find I can't.
It makes me feel good for a minute but I wake up feeling awful ashamed, wishes I haven't done it and then I am in bad mood and tired for the next day.
I don't know what to do. Can anyone help??
Old 04-11-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by Minionmum View Post
For the past few years iv been worried about me. Am I am alcoholic.
If you are worried, there is probably a reason. But no one here can tell you if you are an alcoholic. However, from what you say about your drinking and blacking out, there is definitely a problem. One that can best be solved by quitting.

If you aren't an alcoholic, this might proved difficult, but it's doable. If you are an alcoholic, the struggle will be greater and you will have to decide what you are willing to do to get and remain sober.

Stick around SR, post and read. Perhaps you will get some clarity about your situation.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mini,

Your current situation mirrors my own. 50% of my family has a problem. My Dad God bless him quit when he was 50 and never had a drop after.... When I looked at my life (currently 53) I realized why my Dad quit and have done the same. I miss drinking and for sure miss my bar friends, but being a good husband and father won out. It will be hard, but just quit....
Old 04-11-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Minionmum,

I want to give you some kudos for coming here to fix the problem now. Welcome!

Maybe this will help...

Ask yourself... if one of your three little ones should happen to have an emergency (fall down the stairs, start choking, have a severe allergic reaction), do you think you could be there for them after your binge drinking? If the answer is no, then you are putting your kids' lives in danger by continuing to drink.

I say this from experience (fortunately not mine - unfortunately that of someone very close to me). Because of this experience, I always feel nervous whenever I hear of parents who are blackout drinking with their kids in the house. Not only because of what their kids are seeing their parents do, or because their parents can't be there for them on an emotional level... but because of that one "it could never happen to me!" moment that one day happens to you. You need to be awake, alert, and sober for if and when that moment happens.

Maybe you can think about that the next time you think about picking up?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes you are probably alcoholic, but only you can know for certain. Blackouts dont happen to "normal" drinkers. Alcoholism is like diaherra, its in the jeans. Meaning its in our genetic genes, passed over from generation to generation. Who knows or can pinpoint the time you became alcoholic, you are now a pickle, you can never go back to a cucumber. many treatments out there to choose from. If I were you, I would pick the best treatment with the best success rates out there. AA comes to mind. Best success rates, ONLY if you work the program as outlined in our basic text book, which a text is meant to be studied.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can stop drinking if you decide you want to do that.

Look around here and you will see many different ways of achieving sobriety and recovery.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxxxx
Old 04-11-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I hope our support can help you stop drinking for good. Life is so much better sober.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are in the right place. You will find people here just like you. I lurked in the corners of SR for the longest time before joining and would read story after story that could have been written by me. Welcome!!!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for all of your replies. I feel a lot
Better that I have put this out there, I am going to take it day by day
And see how it goes, if I start to get that overwhelming feeling that I want to go get a couple of bottles of wine and I feel out of control I am going to find an AA meeting.
Will defiantly stay on here too.
Thank you again
Old 04-11-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you've come to a great decision minionmum - welcome to SR

D
Old 04-11-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome minionmum, good call on making the right choice. Keep at it.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Just a suggestion but start going to meetings before you need them. In all likelihood if you start looking when you need them it is already to late. Sort of like taking your heart medication when your having a heart attack
Old 04-11-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Just a suggestion but start going to meetings before you need them. In all likelihood if you start looking when you need them it is already to late.
Agree. Whatever method you choose, start it now before you need it.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey I'm new too. Found myself turning to alcohol for ANY reason I could find! And will drink until there is no more. I made a conscious choice to stop and see where that takes me....day 1. Best of luck!
Old 04-12-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR blacksundays - there's a lot of support here.
Feel free to start your own thread too - you'll get more response that way

D