Notices

Help please

Old 04-11-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help please

Everyone seems really friendly on here, so i feel comfortable opening up.

I have severe PAWS and the symptoms are constant; brain dysfunction, axiety and cravings beyond belief, not to mention the codependnce.

who on here has experienced consistant paws; i really need somone to talk to; i feel so close to ending it all becuase i cant stop the pain.

sorry
Old 04-11-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again 211648

I'm sorry to see you're still struggling.
Did you get a second opinion on this from a Dr at all?

D
Old 04-11-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes thanks, they said none of my damage is permenant but have to go through hell to acieve health.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there! I am sorry you are going through this and it seems with little support. When I was initially withdrawing, way different from PAWS I know, and when it was overwhelming and frustrating, I would picture myself ONE day closer to feeling better.....it made me do two things, not want to go back and to keep going forward. I hope you find support either by doc or group or sticking around here. Just think, if you stick it out and make it you will be in a position to turn around and help someone just like you and pull them through and then they can turn around and so on. Keep going, you can do it. The human spirit is amazingly tough and you have it!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How long have you been sober and how long have these symptoms plagued you? I've read that PAWS can last up to two years. I'm shy of 4 months sober and still have episodes of lethargy (brain fog) but I think it really turned the corner for the better just before 100 days; and my energy has just recently returned. Cravings diminished significantly after the 70 day milestone, for me, and while it may be just a reprieve, I am really enjoying it. It takes time to undo the damage we have done, so don't give up!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

are you considering AA?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 211648 View Post
Everyone seems really friendly on here, so i feel comfortable opening up.

I have severe PAWS and the symptoms are constant; brain dysfunction, axiety and cravings beyond belief, not to mention the codependnce.

who on here has experienced consistant paws; i really need somone to talk to; i feel so close to ending it all becuase i cant stop the pain.

sorry
I dunno what paws is, is this a medical term. If its withdrawal, yup I have expirienced it. Best to go to a doctor. Then start the hunt for treatment. You can spend thousands of dollars if you wish. AA has worked for me and millions of other people.

We have RECOVERED, repeat, RECOVERED
from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.

Wish you the best.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by 211648 View Post
yes thanks, they said none of my damage is permenant but have to go through hell to acieve health.
And where will you be if you don't "go through hell to achieve health?"
Old 04-11-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you made any changes in your life besides stopping drinking? For me, that was the hard part of recovery.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi 211648. Unfortunately we don't tend to get very significantly better and become happy just out of the blue after putting down the drink. Like others say above (and on many other threads here), it takes a lot of work and effort, lots of changes in both our lifestyle and thinking.

I quit in January and still have days when my brain just does not seem to be working... no motivation... so annoying. What I usually do on such days is I try to take it easy, not force myself too much, but sometimes that is just not possible because there are expectations, deadlines, etc. I have a pretty high stress job, which I love, but often I don't have the choice whether to work hard or relax depending on how I feel. It can be tough and I sympathize with you. I also still experience occasional intense cravings that can feel like hell... Read all the comments here people saying they stopped having cravings after a few weeks... not me. And I have been doing a lot of work for my recovery, lots of changes... I think it's just the biology of the brain. I was drinking copious amounts of hard liquor during the last few years, especially the one before I quit. I think that rewired my brain in massive ways and while there is a lot one can do to help recovery, for some things there is nothing else but time that can heal it. It's much better than the beginning, though. I think we all have lots of individual biological differences that contribute to the dynamic of our recovery. For example, I've always had lots of obsessive tendencies... not so easy to turn that around overnight.

Be patient. I imagine that you are still feeling better with the PAWS than while drinking/hangover, no?
Old 04-11-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey, I know its hard to stick to something when you feel like crap instead of better. I wake up violently 5-10 times a night with the feeling of falling and hitting the ground. I can't eat more than 1-2 meals a day, I can't think.

It's all for the best. There will be a time in the future when you feel better. You'll thank yourself. Just remember that the pain is a sign that your body is changing in response to the lack of alcohol. Your nerves and organs are adapting to the lack of alcohol and in the end its for the best.