Notices

Might as well say it...

Old 04-10-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

How I missed this thread, I haven't the foggiest. Anyway, um, re. them firing you after 90 days disability. Sounds way too corporate to be a fulfilling job ...

There were times in my past life that I would've given my left nut (if I had one) to be given the opportunity to START OVER. I mean, sell house, uproot, quit job, leave town, just ... somebody hand me a clean slate PLEASE!!!

Maybe you can look at it like that? Idk. I know the practicalities of the moment are pressing and it can be doom and gloom and stress and shame and fear and loathing in LBrain (ha, ha). But still.

I read once that when somebody loses a job, don't ever offer advice. Just lend an ear. So now that I've broke rule #1 (twice, if you count my post on your other thread), I'm offering two ears (no nuts).

Oh, and here is you, beaming HR dept right back on the head:
Old 04-10-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thinking of you LBrain.... it must be so hard for you at the moment.... all strength to you.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

That must be tough for you, but as you say, perhaps a hidden blessing? A similar thing happened to me. Although I know you dont want to go down the legal route Im sure that is unfair dismissal. Once you are deemed to be medically fit they cant sack you for having a previous disability.

Still, sounds like theyre a**e holes anyway. Heres to new beginnings, keep us posted on how youre getting on x
Old 04-10-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

So sorry but I do believe you will persevere and be better off in the long run. Hang in there!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
What is the most difficult part of it is not getting answers.

The only thing I can do is keep a positive attitude and look forward to days when I am no longer a 'slave' to the unknown. If I have to find a new job, then I look. But I'm not going to put an exorbitant amount of time spinning my wheels.
Well Brian, you got the answers you were looking for. I would try to put yourself in the shoes of your employer and ask if you would treat an employee that was being paid and unfit to work differently.

While I sympathize with the financial impact, some of these responses and your comments seem to be focused in the past. Try to focus on your future and pull the bootstraps up - this is the first day of the rest of your life. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Well Brian, you got the answers you were looking for. I would try to put yourself in the shoes of your employer and ask if you would treat an employee that was being paid and unfit to work differently.

While I sympathize with the financial impact, some of these responses and your comments seem to be focused in the past. Try to focus on your future and pull the bootstraps up - this is the first day of the rest of your life. Good luck.

Au contrair, mon ami!
In the past I would have said something with expletives in response to one of your lines. Or rather when someone does not know the facts, then someone should not interject with their opinions.
Enough about my employer.

I appreciate your concern over dwelling on the past. Today - even in this sort of new realization - I woke up energized for the first time in months! I have a great attitude. I spent a majority of the day working on things that must be dealt with. And planning on the near future, specifically what must be done today, tomorrow and next week. I spent more time on the phone today than for the past few months combined. So I'll work things out. I won't starve and I won't lose my house. At least not for a year or so. By then, who knows where I'll be. North Carolina seems like a nice place.
Thanks jdooner, I appreciate your concern. I'm still learning, and it's great to not depend on beer to take away my worries. The problems don't go away when you forget about them. They keep hanging around until you do something about it.
I like that Bob Marley quote I saw on someone's avatar. 'You never realize how strong you are until you have to be'. Or something like that.
THE BRAIN
Old 04-10-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Brian no matter what keep yourself together , YOU can do it ,Sober! From a former beer and JD lover! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 04-10-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I'm still learning, and it's great to not depend on beer to take away my worries. The problems don't go away when you forget about them. They keep hanging around until you do something about it.
Yeah I hear ya. I have been through a similar situation, and if you ever want details let me know.

Sounds like you're doing well. Working on your sobriety with no job in the way is a huge silver lining. You seem to realize that. You can focus on getting WELL. Time to turn the corner. The die has been cast, it is what it is now. You'll get no job advice from me - I've been down the road and sometimes you just need an ear.

Your quote up there was very wise. Picking up the mess in early sobriety can be a pain, but it sounds like you're on the right track. Glad you've finally at least found a path on which to travel.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

LBrain,
I can very much relate to your situation. I have no idea what I'll do when I get that call. I will be thinking about you and wish you the best. I'm glad you're doing well in your sobriety.