Notices

17 and a Drinking Problem?

Old 04-08-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Why not stop drinking until your at legal aka 21 years old. Give yourself sometime to learn about yourself without being impair. Also you will be more mature with alcohol and may not abuse it.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

When I was 17 I was also struggling with alcoholism. I have a vivid memory of my father yelling at me while simultaneously laughing and saying that 17 is too young to be an alcoholic. Wish I didn't listen to him , I could have addressed my drinking problem a lot earlier in life.

I knew at 17 that it was going to be a big problem, in hindsight it would have saved me a lot of trouble and heartache if I addressed it back then.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I started drinking at 12, by 15 it was everyday, by 16 the real trouble started, I was kicked out of school, an overdose, an involuntary trip to a mental institutions, and then a series of arrests, that continued as a 17 year old until I ended up in a rehab and half way house.

One month short of my 18th birthday I finally got honest and saw if I continued the way I was going, I wouldn't make it past 18, or if I did, it would be in a locked cell. That was in 1977.

Not drinking hasn't stopped me from doing anything I've wanted in life. I found a new way of life and support through the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous. If pip thinks pip has a problem, I suggest pip give them a call.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

hi Pip ---I'm reaching out my arms and giving you the biggest hug ever. I just received the nicest welcome back after picking up the bottle again. Please stay close and listen to this group. They do and we all care.

Babs
Old 04-08-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
Why not stop drinking until your at legal aka 21 years old. Give yourself sometime to learn about yourself without being impair. Also you will be more mature with alcohol and may not abuse it.
Actaully I will be legal in two months, it's 18 here. I get what you're saying, but I feel alcohol is what keeps me sane in the midst of bulimia. I've suffered from a violent addiction to binge-purging since I was 15 and I lost so much of myself, but alcohol replases that and no one shames me for having a drink in contrast to eating mass amounts.

I'm not trying to be rude at all but if "why not stop drinking" is helpful advice then I've got addictions all wrong. As mentioned previously, when I did try to just stop I ended up gettinh instense sleep paralysis. Eg, I would feel someone coming and start to violently pull me around my bed. One time I got it while awake, I was laying on the floor trying to have a nap(while at the worksite I was in during my school trip) and suddenly someone grabbed my leg and pulled me across the floor. When I finally managed to move a limb I appeard back at the same spot unmoved and a bit shaken. So sorry if I'm a bit scared to "just stop" and wait until I rise above my apparent immaturity.

Anyways, I'm still amazed at all the responses and I truely apprecaite the support
Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome Pip, glad you are here. You could always call the AA Hotline and just talk,
They don't know who you are so just tell them and you will get some direction.

There are teen meetings here and there as well.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
Actaully I will be legal in two months, it's 18 here. I get what you're saying, but I feel alcohol is what keeps me sane in the midst of bulimia. I've suffered from a violent addiction to binge-purging since I was 15 and I lost so much of myself, but alcohol replases that and no one shames me for having a drink in contrast to eating mass amounts.

I'm not trying to be rude at all but if "why not stop drinking" is helpful advice then I've got addictions all wrong. As mentioned previously, when I did try to just stop I ended up gettinh instense sleep paralysis. Eg, I would feel someone coming and start to violently pull me around my bed. One time I got it while awake, I was laying on the floor trying to have a nap(while at the worksite I was in during my school trip) and suddenly someone grabbed my leg and pulled me across the floor. When I finally managed to move a limb I appeard back at the same spot unmoved and a bit shaken. So sorry if I'm a bit scared to "just stop" and wait until I rise above my apparent immaturity.

Anyways, I'm still amazed at all the responses and I truely apprecaite the support
You're right pip. Alcohol isn't something you can just stop like that. It's different from going cold turkey from cigarettes. If you want sobriety, you have to put yourself through the detox process first. And for many, like myself, it is a painful experience. It is also a process that can be made easier however with the help of a doctor or other medical practitioner. They can prescribe medications to you which may mean you don't have sleep paralysis etc.

If you've come here for advice but do not want to stop yet then that's still a step in the right direction. You'll find some great advice here if you stick around and hopefully you'll make the decision that's right for you.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi pip, your story really struck a cord with me and I wanted to share this with you. I am a recovered bulimic and recently recovered alcoholic. I beat the eating disorder years ago through therapy but after that my addictive personality found wine. I drank too much for ten years straight, appearing ok to others but dying inside. I turned it around five months ago and my life has never been better and I'm finally at peace with myself.
I also have a cousin, a few years older than myself who is bulimic and alcoholic. She has never recovered from either. She has been told her eating disorder goes hand in hand with her drink addiction and she has to tackle both. She does not want to stop drinking. She has two sons who never visit and she barely leaves her house. Her husband drinks almost as much as she does. Their house is dirty and he personal hygiene is questionable. Her teeth are crumbling away due to the vomiting she has been doing for years. She has been on life support after overdoses twice. She is a shadow of a person, who cares only about where her next vodka comes from.
Make the right choice pip, reach out for help you have your whole life ahead of you! Make it a good one. I'm rooting for you. Feel free to pm me if you would like to chat more pip. Take care
Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Ah, Apophylite, I really appreciate the reply. Your cousin sounds like she is living in hell, you should be very proud of your courage and triumph. I already feel like a shadow of a person, but no one can ever see this until I am until I am alone in the dark. Funny how physical things in life can relate so closely to mental health.

I only drank after school today and I stuck to beer, and of course I started to sweat like a leaky faucet after 15 hours of not drinking; which really compelled me to drink. I'm going to approach this through moderation as the physical symptoms seem to be a lot worse than the mental.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I also started at 13. From that point on I was the young boy passed out in the dirt to close to the fire. 30 years later I finally feel enough is enough. My boys are not much older than you and from what I can see they are alcoholics as well. They don't see it but I do. Heartbreaking..age doesn't matter. Alcohol doesn't discriminate. My oldest is now 24 and a couple of years ago a classmate of his passed away from liver problems. He was 23. I was told he drank a fifth of schnapps daily. Not trying to scare you just saying you don't have to be old and grey for the stuff to get the best of you. I know you can quit and I hope that you do.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Pip, we have many things in common! I had my first drink at 8 with my drinking family. All may have been Alcoholics with good intentions to show me how nice wine was to enjoy on Holidays. However, they drank any and all days!! So, I grew up with the opinion that Everyone drank. My next opportunity was the Junior Prom at 16 and we all got plastered. The next day was a Hell of a hangover. Again, thought Everyone drank.

But I had to take responsibility for my Alcoholism and keep drinking til age 35. Unfortunately I never killed anyone driving drunk. I became a single Mom and I drank all I could drink anywhere before getting sober started working in 1980. But began drinking in 82 and changed my sobriety date.

I found that have to hear and practice the message at AA and SR to: 1) Remember to turn everything over to God 2) Stay very close to Recovering Alcoholics 3)Treat myself well as I would a good friend with a Disease (Alcoholism) and not judge too harshly.
The part about hearing the message I consider to be my Bible for a Good, Serene, Sobriety. Sometimes that even fails in God's world. I trust He has a better plan for my life more than I do.

I would also like to share that some of my best Sobriety has been while in a vigorous exercise program. The process of moving the body and breathing in and out helps to relieve stress and anxiety and gives a sense that you are going to do this and want it for others.

Giving back to others you know after a year or so will also be of tremendous value: You know what they are facing and want to give of yourself as those who helped you.

Please give Sobriety a try and continue to post on SR. You will feel better in just a few days after stopping drinking. You can't do it alone. Try first the doctor then school. etc.
I am fearful of the hallucinations you are having and please get help immediately!!
With great concern for you and all the best: Ipanema