Notices

17 and a Drinking Problem?

Old 04-07-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

17 and a Drinking Problem?

Hello! I am a 17 year old high school student and am worried about my drinking.... but as stated in the rules this forum is not responsible for any illegal activities that may be posted so this post is for my friend, Pip, who is in no way me.

--If this is too long feel free to just read the last two paragraph as it gets to the point----

Pip is doubtful that at 17 she could have a problem with drinking. But signs that she does are becoming more apparent. Ever since her dad gave her a sip of beer as a joke when she was a very small child she had always craved it; stealing sips of her mom's drinks when she was 6 and once she even sucked off red wine from a trampoline that was accidentally spilled.

She started drinking about 2 times a week a year ago, then it became 3 days, 4, days and soon everyday a week. October was one of her worst months; getting hammered every night and then getting shaky and having a headache around noon the next day, which would go away with a drink. She also began to get very mild auditory hallucinations before sleeping which still happen often.

She was never really concerned about her drinking until she left for a school trip a few weeks ago.

There, after 3 days without drinking she began to get nightmares and would wake up screaming. Then that passed and instead she would get sleep paralysis. She also began to see "images" in her eyes if she closed them for long enough, as though she were dreaming while awake.

After 5 full days of not drinking she couldn't take the constant feeling of depression and fatigue, along with the fear of going sleep. On the 5th night of not drinking while in paralysis she got scary auditory hallucinations too.

She ended up secretly buying alcohol and once she had some she felt an instant relief. But Pip then felt she had to drink constantly, and if she ran out of alcohol she would become nervous and obsessed with getting more. She was drunk almost everyday, hiding right under the teachers nose. Once a teacher even said that Pip appeared much happier and put more of an effort than the first few days.

Today, Pip has just returned from a day of school while being drunk. Pip appears unchanged and much more upbeat when drunk. Currently Pip feels very depressed, something that hasn't happened before while drinking for hours. She never had been so compelled to always be drunk as she has now.

What should Pip do? She doesn't want to stop drinking, but she doesn't want to have her life turn into a constant drunk battle. How could Pip approach this situation to an adult? She wouldn't be able to handle it if she was forbidden to drink and put under watch. Part of her thinks she may not even have a problem. Very conflicted and confused.

Thanks for reading! Pip and I appreciate it greatly, good advice could help change her life.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well my drinking started at 15, I'm 22 now, I felt the same way as Pip, and let me tell you, it gets far far worse.

Ever tried a month without drinking?
Old 04-07-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome piplup.

Just to make it clear, this forum is very safe and anonymous. Nothing to fear here.

Most of us started to drink because we felt it helped with a problem. Pretty soon tho drink becomes the problem and those cravings are the depression will only get worse the more years we drink.

I'm sad that someone at 17 doesn't want to stop drinking, but I do want to emphasise - anyone who's a drinker like me can't drink and not have bad stuff happen, can't drink and not get wasted...so it's either stop drinking...or accept the ever growing mountain of crap that comes with it.

I'm going to leave off the 3rd person stuff now - it's doing my old head in

I'd advise your age to read around this forum. It's likely these stores are your future if you keep drinking.

There must be people you can talk to? Parents. teachers, DRs, guidance counsellors? teen help lines?

educate yourself. The choices you make now set up the kind of future you want to have pip

D
Old 04-07-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

YOUTH HoTLINE
Kids Help Phone Org | 1-800-668-6868

D
Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Pip

My first drink was at 12/13 years old. I was alcoholic from the first sip, but badly so by 15. I found AA briefly at 19 ... I am currently 2 days sober today at 29 years old.

2 days. That's all the sober I've been able to scrape together in 17 years. There's so much of my life that I don't remember. Dangerous situations I put myself in.

Alcoholism is progressive and only gets worse. Many of us on this site have lost people, jobs, places and things that were very dear to us directly because of our drinking.

I wish I had had the self-awareness/courage to make real changes in my life at 17. Stick around and read the boards...you will find help and support.

Alcoholism doesn't care how old or young you are. If you think you have a problem, doesn't matter how old you are, please seek help.

Last edited by Jaye; 04-07-2014 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Typo =)
Old 04-07-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

my friend got seriously sober at the age of 15 and is now 40.

Her appearance is young and youthful. Amazing how she has stayed sober and looks so darn beautiful.

It CAN be done. Do you want more anxiety or do you want a life of freedom?
Old 04-07-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow I'm amazed at all the quick replies. Ironically enough I just passed by a women whos passed out and is struggling about drunk, a weird conisidence of a sign I suppose. I'm also a severe bulimic and use alcohol to escape the mental distrsss. I don't know if I can stop drinking on my own. Thanks once again for the advice everyone!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
Wow I'm amazed at all the quick replies. Ironically enough I just passed by a women whos passed out and is struggling about drunk, a weird conisidence of a sign I suppose. I'm also a severe bulimic and use alcohol to escape the mental distrsss. I don't know if I can stop drinking on my own. Thanks once again for the advice everyone!
Pip, you can always see a Doc about things. The thought of it made me physically sick, but when I was honest and got that help it was such a weight off my shoulders.

Keep in touch
Old 04-07-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry that you're in a rough place, Pip, but you definitely have made a giant leap by coming here I'm newly sober, so I get how hard all of this is/can be. It's really awesome that you're realizing so young what some people never get around to realizing. Ultimately, none of us can tell you what to do or how to stop, but I encourage you to keep reading and posting on here....there is a ton of great information regarding how to get help and SO MUCH support.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I hope the support here can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support! I've read through some threads and already feel less alone and like I've read valuable advice. There's a huge history of alcoholism on both sides of my family, and I find it so unfair how my friends can drink and not get addicted but I cant. I only get a hangover if I drink a dangerous amount, when I drink I'm always happy and social in comparison to when I'm sober.

It's not fair how well alcohol agrees with my body. It's like I'm the angry sober? Either way I'm already planning my vodka consumption for tomorrow, while my logical part of me is screaming no. Honestly I am drunk and scared haha.

Also I'd like to apologize for my lack of posting in other threads. I feel like I'm in too deep to give advice to others :/
Old 04-07-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

No need to apologise at all
There'll time enough later on if you want to help others. Focus on yrself for now

D
Old 04-07-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Pip, you are physically addicted to alcohol and have been suffering alcohol withdrawal symptoms. I have been there and had the shakes and auditory hallucinations. You are at risk of seizure when you quit cold turkey. You should go see a doctor. You can go to the local ER even.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Pip, you are physically addicted to alcohol and have been suffering alcohol withdrawal symptoms. I have been there and had the shakes and auditory hallucinations. You are at risk of seizure when you quit cold turkey. You should go see a doctor. You can go to the local ER even.
Ack, thank you for that. I am also using adderall, an advid smoker, and force myself to puke on a daily basis. I'm seeing my doctor about adhd soon and the thought of getting a serious reaction from quitting is enough to at least mention it to my doctor. I wasn't planning on bringing it up but thank to all the advice I've received I think I'm ready to. The last thing my poor body needs is a seizure.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There is a upside to this (if there can be such a thing ) . if you can check your problem more you will have done little damage to your body compared with many of us including myself, I've spent the last five years getting hammered daily .

Yes your definetly a alcoholic . don't buy into the stigmatism . its just a tiny part of who you are and does not have to be a defining point
Old 04-08-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Piplup, welcome to SR
Old 04-08-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hi Pip. I started young too and wasted education opportunities along the way xxxxx
Old 04-08-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome pip, I started drinking at 13, I didnt get withdrawals until a few years ago, I urge you to get advice asap, you are damaging your body hun, please seek help whilst you are still young, you can do it! No one is saying it is easy but this forum is such a help. Start on your road to recovery....your mind and body will thank you for it x
Old 04-08-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Pip, I'm just shy of 21 and I struggled badly with alcohol from age 18-20. I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but it does seem as if the alcohol is starting to take you down that dark road that many of us here are all too familiar with.

You're so young and I know it seems at your age that alcohol is great fun and liberating etc. but from your post it seems alcohol has become much more than that and I'd hate for it to take you over like it did me. I think it's fantastic you've come on here to share your story and look for support. A great first step.

I would recommend you take some time off booze so you can see if after a few weeks you start to feel better. Easier said than done right? But it can be done, it's just about finding the determination inside to want something better for yourself and to know your worth a whole lot more than getting wasted all the time. I would suggest that if you do decide to quit that you see a doctor first. Sleep paralysis and auditory hallucinations when quitting a signs of a physical withdrawal which can sometimes be dangerous....

Good luck pip!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hope you're doing okay today Pip. As you can see, so much support here