Notices

Sleep aid situation

Old 04-04-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep aid situation

I need To get something off my chest. a little context first. Back in my drinking days, I used to pop a few over-the-counter sleep aids before starting to drink. Super bad, I know. And every now and then I'd manage a day or two without drinking, but stay on the sleep aids. If I didn't take a sleep aid, I'd drink a bit more in order to pass out. I had, over the years convinced myself that I had sleep issues and needed alcohol and sleep aids. When I got sober in November, I was determined to get off booze and sleep aids. This objective was going fine, until I came down with a vicious headache about a month ago. It was really bad. I have never had a migraine, but this had the qualities of one. I could hardly open my eyes and when I did I was seeing white spots. Well, I freaked out and took an Advil PM. No big deal, right? Well, since that night, about a month ago, I've been taking a sleep aid at night. The only reason this worries me is that I want to be totally clean. But the old fears of not sleeping are coming back. I have no intentions of going back to drinking, so I'm not concerned about this. So what am I asking? I don't know, perhaps I'm just getting it out, needing to express? What are your reactions to this situation?
Old 04-04-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Malcolm

It may be different where you are but here as far as I know OTC sleep aids are not recommended for long term use.

I'm not really sure by your post how your sleep was with no aids before the headache.

None of us are Drs tho - I have no idea if the headache was connected or whether it was something else entirely.

If you're worried about not sleeping without the sleep aids, why not see your Dr to have a chat about it...you can ask about the headache too?

D
Old 04-04-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Malcolm I really relate to your post here. I started drinking to get to sleep and I convinced myself that without it I could not sleep AT All. Anyway, I finally decided enough was enough and cut out the alcohol and just tried to sleep soberly. Don't get me wrong the first few nights were not at all good and I was exhausted for a few days, but eventually I realised bit by bit, an hour extra every now and then, that I could sleep without it. And eventually sleep so much deeper and not feel so exhausted the next day cause I had passed out drunk.

Just a thought
Old 04-04-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Malcolm, I do get migraines and I know how important it is to have otc pain relief when needed.

However, it sounds like you have become accustomed to the habit of 'needing' something to help you sleep. Even though you know from previous experience that you can sleep without medication, the habit has become ingrained.

Why not try to cut it out and see what happens? I think it would make you feel better about your situation.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hmm. My RAH has a worked up thing about sleep and is now dependent on Advil PM. The funny thing is I have insomnia most night, so here I am wandering around awake to confirm he is sleeping quite restfully.

Best of luck weaning off that stuff.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can identify. When I got sober in november, I started taking benadryl to fall asleep and within a few weeks I was litteraly taking 5-6 pills every night just to fall asleep. I stopped taking them and was able to sleep but not very well, it took hours to get to sleep and I woke up a lot throughout the night. I got into a drug treatment facility and the doctor put me on a non-narcotic, long-term sleep aid. It does not give me a buzz and I'm on a small dose but I have no issues with sleep anymore.

Maybe you should seek help from a doctor? Like Dee said, those OTC pills are not for long term use.