Notices

Question about sobriety

Old 04-01-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

7 months was my turing point Raider. A month later I really started to understand and trust the faith I had built in my HP. This is when I began feeling a sense of peace and that I would never trade my sober life for anything. I was still pretty mixed up at 2 months in - its normal. I would be concerned if at 2 months you had everything figured out.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ps ...greeneggsandham your picture made me chuckle . :-)))))) xx
Old 04-01-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

When I really believed that I was powerless over alcohol and that my life had become unmanageable was when I became a non drinker
Old 04-01-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
So you don't have a drink for a couple of months, like me. I'm glad but here it goes. I feel like a drinker that hasn't had a drink. When do we feel like a non-drinker? Ever?
I'm sure it's different for everybody, but I think it definitely takes time and in my case I struggled at the one year point when I was to pick up my AA medallion. I think the reason was it felt like this milestone was truly closing the door on drinking and I wasn't 100% comfortable with that. I can say now that I do not feel like a drinker anymore - and probably haven't for at least two years (my sobriety date is 12/22/09).

But most importantly, don't obsess about your feelings - they simply are what they are. So long as you don't delude yourself into thinking that somehow it's safe to drink again, let time do it's thing.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread. I think I've always been afraid I could maybe stop drinking but would never reach a new happy normal. It's good to hear others experiences because stopping drinking is critical but I know its not the end of the work.