Notices

So sick of drinking...

Old 03-30-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThelmaLouise View Post
Hi guys,

I'm new here. I'm so sick of drinking. I drink and I don't even want to. I'll try and explain.

I have a loving husband, four fabulous children, and everything I ever wanted in life. We have a comfortable income (we could be richer, but who wouldn't want to be). My kids are well adjusted and life is good.

My father was an alcoholic. He died a few years ago in his sixties from cancer. He was never a real father to me, and I have no issues with that. I was very young when my parents divorced and I grew up with a great step-father. His father was also an alcoholic. I only mention this from a genetic point of view.

I have always had low self esteem. And then I got drunk. I loved it. A group of us would go clubbing and get drunk and dance. It was so much fun!

Fast forward to marriage and a family. At first, my husband and I were poor. We would share a dozen beer a week, which was normally on the weekends. We'd barbeque and drink two or three beer each on a Friday night. His family are also alcoholics. But he isn't. He enjoys an occasional drink but hates how much I drink. He's told me on a number of occasions that he's worried about my drinking.

I started out drinking a six pack after work once in a while. It progressed to every night after work. Then as my husbands income increased, I got to be a stay at home mom. Now I start with my 12 pack at noon.

I'm sick of it. It's not even fun anymore. I don't get buzzed and feel good. I get buzzed and feel tired. I don't get hung over, other than maybe once a month. Who drinks 12 beer and doesn't get hung over!?!

I'm a drunk, and I don't know how to stop. I don't want to drink, and I get up in the morning and swear off beer, and by one o'clock my body goes in panic mode because I need beer.

What is scaring me is the voice in my head that is saying, well you can stop drinking, what pills can you find to give you the same buzz?

I need to stop. And I don't know how.
honey I have tried to stop on my own a few times didn't go well ,,was ordered into a twelve step program 20 plus years ago didn't work it but im surprised how much I did retain ..yup if you are killin a twelve pack a day you have a bit of a problem ..and take my word for it , it will only get worse and worse and worse,,cus it wont be long when that 12 aint enough and has it gone more a few times you already said that you really didn't get too buzzed just got tired yup .. ive been drunk for 20 years or so ive hated drinkin for god knows how long . days off id roll outta bed and crack a beer and the first 3 or 4 would go down quick .. durin the work week as soon as I was off the site id pound six at least in 25 min or so,,and that was about 15 years ago ..I started at a few 30 plus years ago now were do you think im at now ..I broke down 3 days ago (not countin today) ive always made it to work paid my bills neglected my home and my poor truck cus home ment recliner , beer , wisky, pep, found wiskey made my trips to the bathroom less frequent and my truck was to get me to my recliner .. I don't know how many times I have asked my self why do I do this , it doesn't feel good..so hun the only one who can make up your mind is you but know that at 12 a day there is the potential to go 18,, 24 ,,ect,,ect,,and at twelve a day it may be a thought to consider doin a day at time forever my heart goes out to you and I would never want to see some one get to my place to finally know that its stop or die...I have only been joined for day and sorry to all for rambling ,,it keeps me from this
Old 03-30-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You can do it, TL. The few days won't be great, but after that you will be so happy you made this decision! Don't be afraid to seek medical help if you need it.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"spiritual malady."

Originally Posted by ThelmaLouise View Post

I need to stop. And I don't know how.
just a few ideas for you

visit this site often
and
call AA Central for a list of local AA meetings in you area

if you are a believer in God -- attendance in church is good for the soul

Mountainman

"spiritual malady."
From "The Doctor's Opinion" to the end of "More About Alcoholism" the Big Book discusses the first part of Step 1, which states, "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol". We've discussed, studied, and internalized material from the "Doctor's Opinion" to page 23 to see how we're powerless over alcohol bodily. We've used pages 23 - 43 to help us experience how we've been powerless mentally. Now I'd like to talk about a part of our "disease" which is seldom discussed in meetings nowadays: the "spiritual malady."

A.A. Recovery - The Missing Piece The Spiritual Malady