Hit Between The Eyes

Old 03-25-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jus
A Little Wingy

Question Hit Between The Eyes

This might help another.

Ok things have been going fairly well.

Yesterday I got hit between the eyes in a big, old, bad way. I know yesterday has nothing to do with today, but I think this might be a good share.

I'm soon approaching 6 months. It's been years since I last accomplished that amount of time.

Am I right about this? Does the 6 month time, affect us? I'm not focusing on the amount of days, but it hit me hard yesterday.

My old normal wanted to fight with my new normal.

To be honest, it scared the bejeepers out of me. I worked harder on my program, I don't ever want to go back to that hell. A big part of me has told me, if I do, I won't have another chance, I've been doing this for way to many years.

So my only question for those who have long periods of sobriety, is it normal to feel that pull at 6 months?

I have my sleeved rolled up higher, working on this.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I think that occasionally the AV will step up and start tap tap tapping to see if there is a crack to get in. The fact that you recognize what's happening is important because then you can put it in proper perspective. You have nothing to fear, in fact the Addictive Voice would like to put you in a position of fear. It makes you more vulnerable. Here's the deal...you call the shots, you have control of the hands that can be used to put alcohol into your body. Treat any thought of drinking as the nonsense that it is and dismiss it, just as you would any other asinine suggestion that comes your way in life. I can say that over time, these thoughts have become virtually non existent. If one does come, it is so fleeting and out in left field that it's humorous more than anything. I have been known to say things like "nice try, dummy" out loud. Again, no fear...look it square in the eye. You got this.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 mos man that's awesome!!

Thanks very much, as your statement said if you go back you won't get another chance resonates with me and his helping me.

This is my first time trying and have been drinking heavily and consistently for the past 18-24 mos. I'm officially alcohol free for 7 days, but not drunk for 20. I had a couple of beers on two separate days earlier in the month.

Anyway. I'm not sure what 6 mos feels like but I surely know that even though this is my first shot it might e my only.

Thanks and congrats
Justin
Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm coming up on 8 months.
I think every milestone comes with some pressure from the ole AV.
But,it's gets a lot less with each passing month,day.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my therapist told me that 6 months is an extremely common 'relapse point' for most alcoholics.

I relapsed just prior to 6 months.

I'm back on nearly three months and had recently been hitting my first real twinges of 'AV thinking' and having to really actively rail against that.

Step up your program and fight past the mark.... I bet you'll find it eases up again and you'll be grateful for it.

Better grateful than dead.....
Old 03-25-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It seems that sober anniversaries are a time for the 'old life' to exert a pull on you. Stay strong! Six months sober is fantastic!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

To me, sobriety a decision I make everyday; it is a lifestyle to be "chosen". The level at which the AV speaks to us fluctuates; even when he is only whispering, we cannot let our guards down.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

every 30 days.....especially 1, 3, 6, 12, & 18 months.......funny how this coincides with the chips.......
Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Just write down the wonderful benefits you receive by drinking again
Write down all the things you'd like to accomplish sober.
Real good chance anything you want in life isn't going to happen after you start drinking again
Old 03-25-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I drank right at six months and then again the same day as picking up 90 day chip. I thought the voice in my head was my gut telling me that I didn't really have a problem and that my little experiment with quitting drinking was me overreacting. I never considered that it was my addictive voice trying to trick me. I listened to that voice over the weekend and am at day 3 today. Need to put a program together to fight that voice. I ordered and have been working the SR recovery book. It makes good sense to me.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was really trying to look forward at that time in my recovery. I felt that I had been given a second chance at life. Like you, I am certain that I don't have another come-back to grab onto. This is it.

Jus, you are going to be fine. You have Gratitude and perspective to keep you on track.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Jus
A Little Wingy

Thanks everyone. This trying to be normal......I tell ya!! LOL

When I die, and IF I come back here again, I plan on standing in the line up that doesn't look, sound, or smell like alcohol lol. I'm jumping quickly in the normal line up.

There we go, that was easy enough.

Trying to make light of this, it gets so tiring. Wouldn't it be great if it all thoughts about it, would vanish into thin air.

If anything, I hope this helps the new comer to be more aware of what to expect. And don't kid yourself, thinking, because you've not drank for a couple months or so, it will be different, because it won't. If anything, it will be worse.

Onward and upward.

Thanks again, and congrats going out to all of you.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through it Jus - congratulations on 6 months

D
Old 03-25-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Jus
A Little Wingy

Thanks Dee, but it's not quite 6 months. So that means I had better, double make sure I don't turn back with the congrats I've received already lol.

The good thing with this, those little tests help us learn to jump the hurdles, with a little more ease.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AlmA

Jus,

LIFE IS A ROLLER-COASTER!!!

maybe your AV it taking advantage that you are having a down patch
to convince you to drink again!
Do NOT let it drag you back!

We have to learn to have sad days!
There are good days and bad days the sooner we accept it the better!

The way before was:
I can not feel any paying so I drink!
I have to be happy 24x7!
and that is not the way to solve problems but to worsen life!

You made 6 months... that is awesome!
you gone through a lot in 6 months... and you done it sober
Old 03-25-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi jus. It happened to me a few times during the first year, but then it all settled down. It does get tiring - I agree - but I haven't obsessed about it for a very long time. We get used to living our life in a new way.