Notices

It is not enough!

Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
I was only there for a few weeks maybe a month? this was years ago when I was 24 ( when I guess I first started having a problem ) I honestly cant remember about the steps but I do remember them basically saying to me over and over again that I need to come to terms with things '' acceptance'' of my inner demons, they just kept telling me not to drink, which obviously not drinking is a good thing but I need MORE than that! I drink to forget the pain, I need to somehow rewire my brain so I can see things differently. I need to heal and I am guessing I can only do that through the power of my own mind ( havnt figured out how to do that yet ) or with professional therapy.
I have not utilized AA along my path to sobriety so I can't speak from first-hand experience but I do have a friend with 25 years of sobriety who credits not only his sobriety but his life to AA. From what he has told me, addressing your thoughts,obsessions (demons) is an integral part of AA. It's been a while since you have been to a meeting; it can't hurt to give it another try a time or two.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey chilled ice ,
Have you been in touch with MIND Mind - Home they are a charity in the uk that help with all kinds of mental health issues and advocacy .

Cheers , m
Old 03-25-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Howzit, Chilled,

Sounds like there's loads of good advice offered here? I don't know anything about the UK systems, but they seem a lot more jacked up with alternatives than anything in SA.

Fighting on multiple fronts can't be too easy at all.

Just keep plugging away, please. The alternative is not worth contemplating.

I found getting out and mixing with people - anything - walking in a mall for instance got my mind off the issues that were running around in it, but my symptoms were mostly physical.

Maybe take a random bus trip with a map, get off somewhere (close!) and work your way home? Sounds silly but it could keep your mind occupied and not churning around on the same stuff? The more it churns, the thicker it gets, like milk to butter. Just a random idea.

Good luck, and keep us posted pleased?
Bruce.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Ask your doctor to refer you to counselling. If he's already prescribing you Prozac then he will readily refer you to counselling. No need to beg him; it's just standard NHS procedure.

As well as asking your GP to refer you, cover yourself by referring yourself to Back on Track like I did: How to contact us « Back on Track Back on Track

While you're waiting for one of the referrals to result in an assessment, go back to AA. A month is not long enough to see what it's all about. Also, as you say, it was years ago. Try different meetings. It really isn't as bad as you/me/any alcoholic picking up a drink would be.

Last edited by Louise82; 03-25-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-25-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some really good suggestions for UK help here chilledice - follow them up man

D
Old 03-25-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I really admire people who are stop with AA alone, or SR alone, etc. For me, I needed a lot more. It's taken rehab, AA, therapists, a psychiatrist (for meds), a support network and SR to stop. Yes, all at the same time. If it were just as easy as not drinking, there would be no alcoholics. It's ok to get as much help as you need and we are all different. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
I was only there for a few weeks maybe a month? this was years ago when I was 24 ( when I guess I first started having a problem ) I honestly cant remember about the steps but I do remember them basically saying to me over and over again that I need to come to terms with things '' acceptance'' of my inner demons, they just kept telling me not to drink, which obviously not drinking is a good thing but I need MORE than that! I drink to forget the pain, I need to somehow rewire my brain so I can see things differently. I need to heal and I am guessing I can only do that through the power of my own mind ( havnt figured out how to do that yet ) or with professional therapy.
the program of AA is a LOT more than just not drinking and meetings. you may want to look up "big book online" and read the first 164 pages. that outlines the program of AA. its been a life giver to me. it helped me clear away all the crap that was stuck in my head and get a freedom I never would have dreamed possible.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WillB View Post
Great job hangin on Chill! Sounds like u could really use a break by gettin out of ur head for awhile... I suggest yoga and meditation. Either can teach u to quiet ur mind.
This is what im thinking!! I need to just CHILL as my name suggests lol
Old 03-26-2014, 12:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank you all so very much for taking the time to reply, you have given some pretty solid advice, thanks guys