Notices

What are your cravings like?

Old 03-20-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are your cravings like?

I'm very, very new to this. Just one week in and I am not sure how I'm going to make it. Right now it seems fine but when the cravings hit I am afraid I simply don't have what it takes to do this.

The cravings in my case is anxiety, my chest hurts, I get agitated and I usually feel this way from about 4pm until maybe 9pm - longer if I'm bored or more stressed that usual. If I can get through those times I'm OK but it's very hard to get through those times.

I'm afraid I'll fail. I'm afraid I'll do this for 6 months or so and be sober then start again and have it be worse than ever.

Is there anything that might help my cravings durring those tough evening hours? Do doctors have any meds that might work?

I just started going to AA and I can tell it's going to be a big help but I'm still so confused.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Welcome to SR!

Make sure you are eating and drinking enough water. You can try eating something sweet to help curb your cravings.

Have you discussed any of this with your doctor?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome HonestandOpen

There are some awesome tips here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

I remember there was a time I didn't know that I didn't have to give into cravings.
When they hit I jumped...

Eventually I learned that I could get through cravings without drinking. I particularly recommend Urge Surfing in the above link

I didn't like feeling uncomfortable - who does - but it wasn't as bad as I'd convinced myself it would be...

and once I focused on 'surfing through them' I realised the cravings never lasted too long anyway.

You;'ll always find a lot of support here too - you can do this!

D
Old 03-20-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
My wagon's in the mud.

Sweet foods really help at the beginning, totally dampens cravings. Vitamins and loads of fluids - helps flush the toxins out of body.

For me, after 7 days I've broken the back of it. I hope this will be true for you.

Try to be kind to yourself, maybe use some of the money which would have been wasted on booze to treat yourself. (I ordered home delivery pizza, just to have something tempting and filling) Remember you are a warrior fighting for your life, use any and all methods to defeat you foe (for me, The Beast. AVRT).

And if that means a large box of your favourite chocolates - so be it.

Hang in there, you're doing great.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, HonestAndOpen - Orange Juice can be a Big Help - I've even warmed it a bit in the Microwave - Not HOT, but Tepid...Best of Luck.

AL
Old 03-21-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ginger ale with loads of fresh ginger. It's good for the immune system and it will curb a craving.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did a lot of running in early sobriety. Running is enough of a shock to the system that it overpowers whatever feelings you had. Hungry? Tired? Sad? Run five miles. You will experience mood change and substantial endorphin production.

Coming around the bend at about nine months off from the drink this next week.. Not so much cravings anymore, it's more like .. nostalgia.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

The cravings in my case is anxiety, my chest hurts, I get agitated and I usually feel this way from about 4pm until maybe 9pm - longer if I'm bored or more stressed that usual. If I can get through those times I'm OK but it's very hard to get through those times.
Welcome to the board!

Mine were very much the same as yours but of course when my drinking times came.

You have a couple of hidden tools in that quote. You know when the cravings occur and you know that it's lengthened if you're bored or stressed. Its important at those particular times to plan things that will take your mind off of the craving because you already know they do go away. They more you do the quicker they go away.

Read a book, watch a movie, come here and post. If there's something else that you like to do that doesn't involve alcohol do that.

This does get better and the cravings aren't as strong. That and they become fewer and far between. You're doing hard work and it's all going to pay off. How you feel now is not how you'll feel 6 months from now.

Also, you're looking 6 months down the road and worrying about it. Stay in the moment. You don't need to worry about what life will be then, all that you have to think about is right now, today, this moment. I found great relief when I was having a hard time saying "I'm just not going to drink today". Then tomorrow would come which is now "today" and I'd do it again.

Before you know it those days will string together. Not only does this get better, it gets A LOT better. The more you are active in recovery the more quickly that happens.

I'm glad that you're here!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering

Welcome to the board! One thing that helped me was being reminded that cravings don't last - they don't just keep getting worse and worse. They come and after a while they go again. To begin with they may be strong, they may last quite a long time, and they may come frequently, but if you try to make yourself an observer of the cravings then you'll see they don't just keep getting worse and worse (probably even during your 4-9 period they are shifting around in intensity). As you begin to pick up on how they build and then lessen then that itself can make it easier to let them pass by. And then over time you'll start noticing that they come less frequently, they aren't as strong, and they don't last as long (perhaps also you start to notice what can trigger them - though we know from our experience that indulging them only feeds them). They last several hours now - but that will reduce over time. "This too shall pass" can be a useful mental reminder when the craving hits. And keep checking in here - there is always lots of support. God bless, Michael
Old 03-21-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post Honest. Thanks for getting this discussion going. Hang in there, you can do it!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

There are some awesome tips here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

This is VERY helpful. I have been having minor cravings... been sober 10 days now... and a lot of it has to do with timing... my evening routine. I've been just DOING STUFF to try and keep my mind busy and last night I returned to my home meeting and spilled my guts. It felt really good to be honest (for a change).
Old 03-21-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the thoughtful replies. I appreciate your support.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Remember cravings are just feelings and don't have to become actions.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, its good to eat candy. Sugar helps. But thoughts are just thoughts, they can be dealt with. Cravings only happen when alcohol is injested and the cravings get stronger and stronger with each drink. There is nothing that can be done with the allergy of the body once alcohol is injested and cravings start, you are on automatic pilot. However thoughts can be dealt with in many ways. Distractions help.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Drinking takes up a ton of time. It's learning how to fill in those time frames to
Get a little bit further than the 'now what' edginess. Maybe an idea would be to
Invest in a juicer/ or slushy machine so that each drink without booze takes longer
To concoct. Sugar is huge in booze and there is a rush with it that crashes.
With our without alcohol content. Coffee is the same. Green tea or iced tea may help.
I've known friends that never really drank much but would discreetly refill a beer bottle with water at Social events as not to have peer pressure.
I never stopped going to pubs because I like people. I just don't stay very long
If I don't like drunkeness.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I am in out-patient treatment so I see a psychiatrist who prescribed me anti-anxiety medicine and Antabuse which I will take until I feel comfortable coming off of. I need to lose some weight, but right now I don't worry about it too much. Staying sober is my priority, so if I want something sweet, I eat it. My therapists advise against doing too much at once (sober now, weight loss in time).

Sometimes I lay in bed and read my AA literature so that obsession doesn't sneak up on me. I change my routine. I post here and call people in my support network. I call my sponsor daily and get to meetings.

I think that's about it....
Old 03-21-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
AlmA

Dear HonestAndOpen,

Go to doctors if your anxiety is unbearable... they can help you!
But do not get into pills...
you can get into another problem!!!
so if you can avoid them better.

Sports, walk, run, meditation, breathing slowly helps to calm down...

After a while gets better... just got to hold on longer and you will get over the fence.
Right now you are confused and scared and worried you will not last...
that is normal your head will go on and on for a while but it eases up I promise!

You gone through the worst week...
you can make it now...
Be strong a bit longer!!!

Hope you get better soon,
Big Hug
Old 03-21-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's really great that you are focused. One day at a time. One more post for staying sober. Well done. I have a box of chocolates here. Because its an addiction I don't care
If I lose to it. It's my reward. If I have come to believe that I am worth be sober for, then
Chocolate is my reward.
You can have the coconut ones.
: )
Old 03-21-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you all.

Csilla1, send the coconut ones my way! GreenEggsAndHam does Anabuse have many side effects?
Old 03-21-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

BTW, tonight is a great example, I wanted a drink badly at 5pm local time, it's now 8 and I have no cravings.

That is another question that perplexes me, why do I crave alcohol only in the evening at a certain time? Do all of us crave it at specific times?