Notices

First concert in recovery

Old 03-22-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First concert in recovery

Hello everyone!

I used to go to shows a lot, mostly hardcore/metal shows. And that was while I was using although I rarely ever got high before or during shows because I feel like it takes away from the beauty of the music. But when my using got really bad, the past few years, I never went to shows because I was too busy getting loaded and had no money.

But my Dad, for my birthday, bought tickets for me and him to go to this led zeppelin tribute band tonight. I'm really excited, but I have this projection in my head where there will be a bunch of people dropping acid and getting drunk. I talked to one of my friends in recovery earlier and she said that the theatre where the show is isn't "that" kind of venue.

I just got 4 months sober and I'm doing well, but I guess I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with going to shows in early recovery..

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jake - I haven't faced that scenario yet, but really want to go to see Motely Crue this year. I am also anxious about it because I have the same thoughts about everyone being high / drunk there. Anyway, I don't have any advice, but wanted to let you know that you weren't alone. It has been stressing me out too.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time!! I used to go to shows a lot and have not done so since I entered recovery but I do miss it. I think as long as you have an escape plan and sober support you will do just fine.

I'm finding that all the things I used to do drunk and assumed everyone else was too are actually enjoyed by many who aren't drinking. Like flying. I always thought everyone on the planes were as drunk as I was but now I see that most people don't drink on a plane. It amazes me that people actually just drink the free non alcohol beverages and don't order 3 beers at once.

Enjoy the show - I love Zep. Tribute bands usually do an amazing job recreating the music and I know you will have fun...sober.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jake, I did go to a concert in a bar venue when I had about 2 months. I was surprised at how many people were not drinking or drank very moderately. I always assumed when I was drinking heavily that everyone else was too. I hope you have a similar experience. Enjoy the show!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

*exhales*

Thanks everyone. I feel a little more comfortable about the situation now.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Jake)

Though, my experience was not in early recovery, but still I've decided to share.

I was at Depeche Mode concert two weeks ago (17 months sober). A lot of people smelt booze soooo hard that I kind of started to worry that just inhaling the same air I will have to go to SR next day and report a slip))

If seriously, I had great time, enjoyed the concert IMMENSELY. Never was triggered or even "romanticezed" having a drink before or after.

I don't know what are rules at the venue you are going to , but where we were alcoholic drinks were not allowed.

I hope you'll enjoy the concert)
Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi jakec

Yes indeed, Ted Nugent was my first concert and this was just last year. It was in a venue that had alcohol and there were people around me drinking but I noted the same thing that GotGrace did. I only had one person who was in front of me that was soused and all that I thought to myself was "why even pay the money to go?" Stupid to pay that money and to not even remember it.

The best part? I was waiting to hear Stranglehold which is one of my favorites by him. He didn't play it until the last song of the night and it ROCKED! The old me would have never had the chance to see this.

Keep this in mind

And that was while I was using although I rarely ever got high before or during shows because I feel like it takes away from the beauty of the music.
That is spot on! Go and enjoy yourself. Be happy that you're going to get to actually enjoy the music
Old 03-22-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Interesting, a thought comes to mind. When people around you are smoking the magical herb and you can smell it and still stick around and not leave. Means you are injesting it, knowingly. Be like hanging out at a place where they cook meth, or process cocaine but you are there to watch the 10,000" Plasma 100-channel soround sound TV audio system.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Jake, haven't been to a concert since sobriety (2 months), but really looking forward to it!! Last one I went to I was pretty drunk. Not out of my mind drunk, but got really tired and sluggish about an hour into it. Think of all the energy you will have to really enjoy yourself!! Zep tribute sounds great!! Enjoy!!
Old 03-22-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Concerts and ball games yes I went .
But I was there for the concerts and games.
I found out I enjoy them more sober too
Old 03-22-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

If your dad is there you'll be fine
If you feel shakey afterwards - you know what to do - hit your support Jake

D
Old 03-22-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I go to a lot of shows, Jake and they are WAY better clean and sober. You will have clear memories of the entire show and you won't have to leave your seat to hit the bar or bathroom.

As far as second hand pot smoke goes.... forget about it. Unless you have someone right next to you blowing it directly into your face, it won't have any effect.

Have a great time!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Show was a success
Old 03-22-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
Interesting, a thought comes to mind. When people around you are smoking the magical herb and you can smell it and still stick around and not leave. Means you are injesting it, knowingly. Be like hanging out at a place where they cook meth, or process cocaine but you are there to watch the 10,000" Plasma 100-channel soround sound TV audio system.
That's quite the reach there Matt don'tcha think?
Old 03-23-2014, 01:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I saw Ringworm back in October after just two weeks sobriety. I didn't drink, didn't feel like it, and had a pretty great time! It definitely felt like an accomplishment.

I'm glad your show went well