Notices

Anyone else think it's odd?

Old 03-20-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you feel pressure about why you don't drink, self-imposed for not, you are at risk to feel pressured to drink.

Just be careful. Be aware that our addiction uses all kinds of ploys to get us to drink.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I don't get asked why I don't drink. I get asked regularly why I'm a vegetarian.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

this may or may not be relevant. but here goes...

I have been working on my 'new response' to refuse a drink. Because I know very few people who do not drink, unless I crawl into a cave or just hang out at meetings, I will very soon be in the company of drinkers.
It's a fact of life for me. Don't try to dissect it.
The basic reality is this, "I am allergic to alcohol." Just like some people are allergic to shellfish, if I drink I will break out. Break out into another period of stupidity and foolishness etc. People don't need details. Just being allergic to something is a good enough answer for me. If "No thank you" is not enough, then being allergic is my final answer.

Reminds me of when I was young. All of the hippies in my area smoked the funny stuff. Except one that I knew. Amazing this guy with long hair who fit all of the stereotypical looks and behavior didn't smoke or use drugs.
When someone asked him to 'smoke' he would respond with, "Can't, sinus problems." That was it.

Sometimes we make things so complicated when they don't really have to be.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

there's definitely a social pressure / dynamic.

People will ask you if you want to drink. If you say no, many of them will ask WHY....

A good many of them will say... "OF COURSE YOU DO!!!" or "OHHH, COME ON!!! DRINK!!!".

But most will only do so once and it's actually more about the pressure in our own heads than the pressure coming from others.

That's what I'm finding, anyway.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

as for a response.... I'm discovering that if anyone presses for a reason why or tries to encourage me to drink when I say 'no thanks', a simple "I find life richer and more joyous without alcohol".

So far, it's worked every time. People just move on.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It does not do me any good to tell anybody that knows me that I quit drinking because they have heard it too many times before that's including my wife and my kids so instead of talking about being sober to them I'm going to have to show I can live sober .Now just convince myself