Notices

Anyone else think it's odd?

Old 03-20-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else think it's odd?

That these days people can be veagan, vegetarian, eat gluten free, or be lactose intolerant and avoid dairy, no questions asked.

But one of the things I found myself obsessing about is how do I explain why I don't drink alcohol?
Is that just me or is it society that causes that?
Old 03-20-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You don't need to 'explain' it to anyone. A simple "I don't drink, thanks" will do nicely. If they press you about it, just repeat: "I don't drink, thanks" until they stop bugging you.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Might just be you I've never had someone question me about why I don't drink in the 5+ years I've been living sober. I've had a "really? Never?" response, but that was easy to answer.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I think society plays quite a part in it.

Some people don't ask, some people do.

My friend who rarely drinks doesn't ask me.

My other friend who does, asked me a few times what was the reason I decided to quit for good.

IMO, being vegan, lactose intolerant, etc. has some reasoning - you don't want eat other livings beings, lactose makes you sick. But not drinking alcohol...Though mostly people don't care much about it, there are still people who see some "hidden reason" behind this.

Just my experience.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To be honest. I'd rather give up booze than be a vegan. Lol. I love me some BACON! Don't worry about what others think. I used to worry to but have realized that it's small fries compared to my sobriety. You could tell them there is this neat new study where scientists found out alcohol could be bad for you. I haven't seen a surgeon generals warning on my t bone.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Fishinainteasy View Post
I love me some BACON!
I think I just peed a little.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by lastcallsunday View Post
But one of the things I found myself obsessing about is how do I explain why I don't drink alcohol?
I have been sober three and a half years. I don't think anyone's asked me. Ever.

So your obsessing is just that--mental energy spent where it doesn't need to be spent.

And if you are asked, you don't have to give anyone a reason. Or say you just choose not to. I'd be shocked if anyone pursued that questioning any further.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

A lot of people don't drink. Out of a work gathering about 3 in 10 don't drink, maybe because they're teetotallers, but often because they have to drive, or just don't like the taste.
Before I stopped drinking I never assumed they were alcoholics, just people who didn't drink.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I just say it doesn't agree with me to those I don't know that well.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering

Originally Posted by Fishinainteasy View Post
To be honest. I'd rather give up booze than be a vegan. Lol. I love me some BACON! Don't worry about what others think. I used to worry to but have realized that it's small fries compared to my sobriety. You could tell them there is this neat new study where scientists found out alcohol could be bad for you. I haven't seen a surgeon generals warning on my t bone.
I've been giving up meat for lent (and am thinking of going veggie full time after that). I was at a conference last week and the the wine was flowing freely at the main event meal. I was slightly surprised that I didn't feel the slightest desire to share in it. But boy was I hankering after the lamb they were having! It was driving me nuts.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Michael I hear ya. As I remove the alcohol from my life and work out more I'm sure I'll be eating a bit healthier. Favorite veggie dish is reduced fresh spinach with a big chunk of garlic and some tomato......and maybe bacon
Old 03-20-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i was wondering the same thing.

but in reality i never really had to explain myself. for people who weren't aware of me quitting... well, they offered me drinks and sometimes got even "pushy" (closer friends)..

i used to be offended a little, and would find some excuse, but simply saying "no" enough times always worked.
then i also thought that my friends can be asking me to do things that i don't necessarily want to do.. and not just drinking... for example helping someone move. and they can be just as pushy about that, especially now since they know i'm not hungover or partying somewhere
Old 03-20-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I get my vegetables from a totally loaded pizza healthy haha
Old 03-20-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lastcallsunday View Post
That these days people can be veagan, vegetarian, eat gluten free, or be lactose intolerant and avoid dairy, no questions asked.
not true.. people ask questions all the time
Old 03-20-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If I were to get asked point blank, I would just say I have an allergic reaction when I drink...according to the big book of AA, this is technically true of all alcoholics. For some silly reason, I have not been able to utter the words, "I don't drink." Just a hang up on my end. I'll get over it someday.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's our heads that cause that as about a third of people in western countries choose not to drink out of choice. I don't drink, that's it no biggie:-)
Old 03-20-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Maybe it depends on you and your circle. I get asked, pressured and annoyed. But thats cos I work in a famouly hard nosed heavy drinking occupation.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i'm gonna have to explain to about thirty people why I've given up. In Liverpool people live for the weekend and drinking at the weekend. Well a lot of people do. And i'm best man this year which includes Edinburgh stag do
Old 03-20-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yea having to tell people you don't drink falls right under dealing with the cravings in my personal list of "Cr*p I Have To Deal With Being Sober". It depends on who you are telling. If you're telling this to a heavy drinker/ possibly an alcoholic themselves you are going to have a rough time. To a normal drinker? They mostly don't care. To someone concerned with health? Also don't care. I liken it to my bf and I taking our raw veggie juice drinking low-carb eating selves to another country. We have to alter what we order most of the time (or even saying no thank you when the bread guy comes around) and we get a bunch of looks maybe half of the time. Personally, I just ignore the looks but he wants to explain it all to them. I don't understand that. We don't want to consume this or that so just leave it at that unless someone asks why. So, when I am offered a drink and I decline I usually just say, "No thank you". If they're pushy I say, "I don't drink". If they STILL push then I say I feel better and healthier when I'm not drinking. If they have anything to say after that... Then that person is super annoying.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

I continue to feel social pressure even when people say nothing. I realize it is going to take time for me not to feel the pressure--even taking into account that it is probably mostly my imagination. Public social events (e.g., restaurants) are the worst.