Notices

overwhelmed or lazy

Old 03-18-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

overwhelmed or lazy

Who else has felt this way in early sobriety....

o.k. so feeling better and getting back to living....Things that come to mind. Need to make a dentist appt..haven't done that in forever...
Need to do something with my hair.....
Clean the house for spring time...
Get the stupid taxes done
Take the dogs to the vet...
Call family to see how they have been doing...and on and on and on

all the things that have been put off while I spent the day drinking and napping and not caring....

now the things to do are just damn overwhelming
too much in my brain
Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

How about tackle just one today ? Then tomorrow , another ? I usually like to start with the easiest and work my way up to the dentist .
Old 03-18-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, I had to make a list and check off a couple of things each day. I was overwhelmed too, and felt like I wasn't accomplishing things until I could see that I had crossed off a couple of items from my list.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Something that helped me sort through my anxiety about accomplishing tasks in early sobriety was a "priority list". Since you're feeling overwhelmed, take five minutes and write down your list of things you need/want to do. Then take a second sheet of paper and draw a line down the middle to create two columns; "Things I can do today" and "Things I can't do today"... Sort the activities accordingly and you will realize that if you can't do it today you don't need to think about it. Do what you can and cross things off as you go. It helps to get your brain off the mental hampster wheel You may find that tomorrow you have no anxiety at all. But this is a good way to survive a rough patch.

This also works for existential/social issues when you do a list of "Things I can/can't control" in which you will discard the things you can't control. Give it a try... I hope it helps...
Old 03-18-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

aahhh thanks for the responses....I think I'm going to do best posting whenever I
feel anxious....Even if the posts sound stupid...
Old 03-18-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Just take things easy xxxxx
Old 03-18-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Randummy

I have felt like there is an insane amount to accomplish too! I challenged just one big thing at a go. My house was a total mess so in one day, I cleaned the house, and didn't do anything else. The next day I got through the washing, day after that I did the food shopping and got my haircut.
Don't try to sort everything out in one day. Just enjoy being able to make plans for the future, to be concious of what is going on and getting life in order!
Old 03-18-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't forget that you are also healing from what could be years of physical assault from alcohol. Healing is important and it takes time and energy. Breaking your most important tasks down into 15 minute increments and doing one of those at a time will help you accomplish things without pushing yourself too hard when you are still at a vulnerable stage of your recovery. You are not lazy.