Notices

Anyone here manage

Old 03-14-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

By the way, please don't feel I am saying that it is possible for all alcoholics to drink moderately - for many, that is simply not possible, as has been discussed many times on these forums. I am simply stating that even if you could go back to moderate drinking as many people wish they could, it still probably wouldn't be enjoyable. Which is why I recommend abstinence!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I am trying it. I can't tell you how successful I will be. I know I became physically addicted to alcohol...there's absolutely no doubt about it. But, people become physically addicted to sugar and to caffeine too...that doesn't mean they can't break the addiction and cut down to normal levels. I drank every thursday, friday and saturday in college. We drank til we were pretty drunk. Then after college, I didn't really drink for about two years...getting drunk every now and then. Then after that and I started working, it became a pretty much every night kind of thing. I

f I didn't have a six pack of tallboys every night, it was weird. It became a cycle...drink six beers feel like **** in the morning and anxious all day and then drink to get rid of the anxiety...rinse repeat. I really was immature and didn't understand what was going on. But, I was young so I could take the hangovers much better. Fast forward about 10 years and I was still drinking about the same amount (no more than I was), but as Hank says, the hangovers hurt more than they used to. Plus, the anxiety became much, much, much worse to the point that I was a damned near nervous wreck.

I came on here looking for an answer after I discovered that it was the beer that was giving me the anxiety. I quit for like two months, but was so bored and lost my zest for life (which I had before despite the anxiety). I went back to drinking after that. Although, I tried to reign it in a bit. Maybe a full six pack on the weekend nights and less during the week. I was to the point where I couldn't sleep (this was the chemical dependence I was talking about) without having 5-6 brews. Then I saw some of my friends struggling with alcohol and making fools of themselves. I decided that there had to be a midway point between being a drunk loser and total abstinence.

So, I began tapering down. First, 5-6 beers per night for about two weeks. Once I got used to that, I moved to 4-5 with 6 on the weekend as a treat for about two weeks. Then to 3-4 with 5 or 6 on the weekend as a treat for two weeks. Then to 2-3 per night with 4 as a treat. Currently, I am drinking two beers per night, but I overindulged with 4 the other night that my dog got killed. Last night I drank one beer and cracked open another...I got pissed that I wasted that beer because I ended up throwing 90% of it out.

So...is it possible? I don't know. I'm trying because I really like the taste of beer and being able to chill out. Perhaps I am a full blown alcoholic in full blown denial...but I like to think that I was a moron who caused himself serious physical injury and developed a chemical addiction because he refused to grow up.

I don't know. I'll keep checking in though.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I tried to "moderate" for years. Decades really.
Almost always (save a few times) wound up drunk.

Eventually I had to suck it up and admit "YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH".

Which is no. An alcoholic, by definition, can not moderate. Otherwise we would just be social drinkers not raging drunks.

Sowwy....
Old 03-14-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Crossfitdad, I'll be really interested to see how this turns out for you. I don't think it would work for me personally but I also think there are problem drinkers who are not alcoholics. Maybe it can work for such people?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Have you tried to moderate? Is so, what did you learn? I learned that moderation has no real benefit for me.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thought about moderating, convinced myself I could do it and tried it out a few times . . . . and FAILED!!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
As I am fond of saying when this question comes up, if we as a group could moderate, we'd have a moderation forum, full of moderation success stories.
This is so very true.

Chilledice - I think that the reason you see such passion in the responses to your post is because so very many of us have desperately tried to moderate and have overwhelmingly failed - drastically, abysmally, and totally.

No one wants to see you go down that road or give anything other than the impression that attempts at moderation are, for an alcoholic, futile.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I honestly wanted to cry when I saw the response to this question that Chill had asked!! We are here to help people and not to judge!! We are on this site for one purpose only and that is to help those who need help! Lind
Old 03-14-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I think that if most of us could have moderated, We would have. I know I could quit completely for months, even years. It pick up that first one and it was worse than ever.

something to think about...why is it so important to be "able" to drink? Nothng special about it for me. I drank to pass out, even before I consciously knew that's what I was doing.

love from Lenina
Old 03-14-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
I think that if most of us could have moderated, We would have. I know I could quit completely for months, even years. It pick up that first one and it was worse than ever.

something to think about...why is it so important to be "able" to drink? Nothng special about it for me. I drank to pass out, even before I consciously knew that's what I was doing.

love from Lenina
My experience is 100% the same.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lind View Post
I honestly wanted to cry when I saw the response to this question that Chill had asked!! We are here to help people and not to judge!! We are on this site for one purpose only and that is to help those who need help! Lind
my posts weren't serious..don't worry. it just seems when this subject is brought up there isn't much room for open discussion. at least when i posted about it lol
Old 03-14-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think once you've crossed the line like I did there's no going back.

If you're at the stage where you 'need' to drink, for whatever reason, I don't think you can wind back the odometer/milometer to just 'taking or leaving it'.

D
Old 03-14-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
But, people become physically addicted to sugar and to caffeine too...that doesn't mean they can't break the addiction and cut down to normal levels.
For myself I actually have the same problem with other things like sugar and caffine. I've quit coffee many times and end up drinking it again to excess usually 8 cups a day. Same with biscuits lollies and chocolate. Usually I avoid having them in the house or Ill eat them all.

With lollies if I have one I find it very hard to stop once I start. I notice other people arent usually like this but some are.

Alcohol is worse still because It intoxicates and makes control even more unlikely.

I guess this is an argugument for an addictive personality or whatever ironically I dont really buy into that. Or maybe its a sugar chemistry issue...
Old 03-14-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

I don't think I even want to attempt it. I don't want to take the chance things will go back to the way they were.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I courted the idea of moderating even just a week ago. That's even after decades of attempted/failed moderation.

After learning much more about alcohol and its effects and what it had done to my life over the years I realised it would be harder than I thought.

In effect I am "learning to hate" alcohol. By doing that moderation becomes a bit of a misnomer. I am realising it has no positive outcomes for me ever, either in the short or long term.

There are also physiological effects of drinking that take along time to recover from which would make moderation a bit of a waste of time if you want to recover:

"PAWS symptoms reach a peak from three to six months after we get clean. Any use of drugs or alcohol, even in small quantities or for a short time, will effectively eliminate any improvement gained over that time, as it will keep the brain from healing."

Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What…Me Sober?

Perhaps the reason is this: If one could moderate he would have already. One would not need here because he would have been happily putting drinks down or refusing them for all the years he was drinking. Instead he couldn't, he drank and drank and drank. He made a fool of himself, he spent countless dollars, he destroyed relationships, he lost jobs (the list goes on)....
Old 03-14-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

my posts weren't serious..don't worry. it just seems when this subject is brought up there isn't much room for open discussion. at least when i posted about it lol
Haha. I took CaboBlanco's posts as "hey buddy, you just posted the wrong question on this board. Prepare yourself." I didn't take it at all like he was attacking the OP.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets get back to the OP guys.

D
Old 03-14-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I wasn't physically addicted yet. It was getting real crazy real fast. At one point I was a moderate social drinker and I know what an off switch is. I could stop drinking once I started if I thought someone might figure me out. I had to quit because I just didn't care anymore. I wanted to be drunk 24/7. So even if I could moderate (not get caught) I really don't care to.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I have tried moderation many, many times. Never worked. If I stop by a liquor store to pick up "just one six-pack", for "just one night", I might as well kiss the next two weeks or more goodbye.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
I never ever had a drinking problem.

Ask me about my stopping problem