Notices

feeling exhausted

Old 03-14-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feeling exhausted

Not sure why but this past week I have felt exhausted all the time.
I'm finding hard to motivate myself as I'd rather sleep.
Anyone else the same?
I just don't even have it in me for the gym which I love. I did drag myself out with the kids for a 6 mile walk but after I could have slept for a year.
This morning is the same I just feel so so tired.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi zombiegirl. You don't mention how far into recovery you are but yes, I needed heaps of sleep in the first couple of months, I was sleeping up to ten hours a night. I do think that in the early days our bodies are undergoing major healing. It wouldn't hurt to pop into your GP to get checked out, just to make sure you aren't anaemic or something. You will feel better in time, make sure you are eating well, that will help.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi zombiegirl, I can completely relate to this! I've had sleep deprivation with insomnia so a straight 10 hours would be sheer bliss, however what has helped me with feeling wiped out is fresh air, eating well and staying hydrated. Watching sugar and caffeine intake too, the crash doesn't help. Early days for me so yes, a lot if healing going on. Oh, and a good multivitamin/mineral with extra Bs may be a good idea. x
Old 03-14-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi zombiegirl, the first thing that popped into my mind is depression. My personal experience is that it can make you want to sleep a lot, and it takes a lot of the zip out of your life. If you can find a reputable internet site on-line (Beyondblue is good), you can do a quiz which will give you an idea.
Either way it might be worth talking to your doctor, who I'm sure will be full of praise for your sobriety and can rule out physical causes.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found that there were times in my sobriety I am more exhausted emotionally and physically than usual. Sobriety is hard work! Totally normal. The important thing is to continue to take care of yourself.....sleep if you need to. The body does take a long time to heal from the damage we have done to it. Glad you are reaching out for support!!
Old 03-14-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Definitely mention it to your doctor. You may not have to feel this way. ((hugs))
Old 03-14-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Me too, zombie girl. I think this is a good time to take it easy and take care of ourselves, because we've done real damage to our bodies. :-)
Old 03-14-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Almost four weeks in and as my initial symptoms have subsided, the sweating, nausea, constant jerking, vomiting, insomnia.....the exhaustion has stayed. Some days it is crushing. I am trying to listen to my body and my take is that it is trying to heal. As symptoms pass, my body is obviously working hard to pass through these phases. I sleep like a rock now, deeper than ever and wake exhausted!!!! I have very productive days, but they wipe me out. I know I am not depressed because I have watched and learned about the many levels of depression for years. I am not saying you aren't or you are, since alcohol, exhaustion are symptoms, but from someone almost a month in and fighting this exhaustion is EXHaUSTiNg!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes I suffer depression. I think it's possibly my bodies way in catching up on all the false sleep I had when I used to drink.
I'm going on two weeks soon and just feel knackered all the time xxx
Old 03-14-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am on 20 days sober, not that much farther along than you, and I am also dealing with extreme fatigue. I'm constantly napping when I can. Exercise that I did easily all the while I was drinking leaves me sore for days. For some reason, this has been a particularly exhausting week.

I always feel better when I read others say it's a sign of healing - and that it gets better.

The advice that I've read is to eat veggies, fruits, protein and cut back on grains, sugars, and caffeine. Easier said than done, especially for my sweet tooth! It's hard. But better than blacking out, passing out, and feeling hungover.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi zombie girl,
Yes i have experienced the same constant tiredness, then insomnia then eating haribo sweets for sugar, if worried go and see your gp for a check up , its more than likely the body healing, the liver recovering and healing is exhausting both mentally and physically
Just relax and have a chat with your gp just to ease your anxiety, chronic depression can cause fatigue too
Gentle exercise can help
Let me know how you get on
Charlotte aka countrysidegirl
Old 03-14-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's not helping that I've not bee going to the gym as I'm so tired.
Going to drag myself there on Monday to give myself a kick up the bum.
Xxxx
Old 03-14-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Zombie I'm supposed to.be playing rugby tonight but i feel like I've been hit by a bus ! Maybe try a walk tommorow, hopefully weather will be nice, either way doll keep it up your doing good