Notices

Why did I do this to myself?

Old 03-07-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

Why did I do this to myself?

Last night, I ruined my sobriety. I am devastated by it. I had a plan but it got derailed by a turn of events and then I became overwhelmed with stress. Next thing I know, I had lost control and went off the deep end.

I have been paying the price all day. It has been a good reminder of what I don't want my life to be again.

So, here I am on day one. I need to come up with a better plan of action for times of high stress like yesterday. I am embarrassed and feel defeated.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The important thing is you're back - and you realise you need to do a little more work.

Those are both good things to be going on with gakx

D
Old 03-07-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My sponsor always says, the beautiful thing about recovery is that we can start over when we need to. Don't beat yourself up. Yeah, it happened, but today is a new day and all we have is today when it comes to sobriety. Keep it in the moment.

I'm rootin' for you!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by jakec View Post
My sponsor always says, the beautiful thing about recovery is that we can start over when we need to. Don't beat yourself up. Yeah, it happened, but today is a new day and all we have is today when it comes to sobriety. Keep it in the moment.

I'm rootin' for you!

This.

Hang in there!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Gakx View Post
I am embarrassed and feel defeated.
Do not let your AV trick you with these feelings. These are the ones that keep us struggling and keep us thinking negatively. As long as we feel defeated we will be defeated.

Learn from what happened and come up with a plan you can use so when something like this happens so you don't give into it. You don't have to let there be a next time. We are in control of our destiny not our AV's.

Don't get on the pity pot and don't ever feel embarrassed. I would hate for anyone to think that they shouldn't post because of it. We all make mistakes along the way the important thing is did we learn anything from it?
Old 03-07-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Gakx, can you rewrite last night in your head and work out what you could have done instead of drinking? How could you have seen the 'turn of events' differently?
Not preaching; believe me I need a few clues to handle stress myself, but for some reason it doesn't include the bottle.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry Gakx, I've been there, done that before and know the immense sense of disappointment. You - 49, AV - 1, don't it score again!
Old 03-08-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gakx View Post
It has been a good reminder of what I don't want my life to be again.
And there you go...... take this reminder and this evidence. Use it to strengthen your resolve and allow it to open your willingness to try new tools in your sobriety.

You can do it.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I first got sober there were strong suggestions on ways to stay sober. We were encouraged to go to a lot of meetings, stay away from our drinking "friends," have a list of sober friends and call them, stay away from slippery places like bars, package stores etc. It was implanted in my brain " if I don't pick up the first drink I won't have to get sober AGAIN."
KEEP COMING.

BE WELL
Old 03-08-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Learn from it so you don't do it again.