Notices

Honest Question

Old 03-05-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Honest Question

I have been spending an enormous amount of time on here the past few days, and I'm curious. Do any of you ever spend time on here and it actually seems to make you WANT to drink? Maybe I need to spend less time. I just noticed after some of the posts yesterday and today, there was something in them that felt like a trigger. Maybe I would have felt it whether on here or not, but then I wonder if maybe I'm putting too much thought into having a drinking problem.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've had the same thoughts. Seemed as if I didn't spend so much time thinking and reading about alcohol, I'd get it out of my mind quicker.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes it has happened to me also. Something triggers it. Especially when people talk about drinking wine. Thought i was the only one.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The question would be though, what else would you do with your time?

An online Forum passes time, simply sitting thinking about alcohol at home will only end one way, whereas something to keep you active brings you one step closer to bedtime and another successful Sober day!!

Personally interacting with people on the topic of Sobriety keeps my mind from wandering into the realms of "maybe I can have a drink tonight", it reminds me of the problem at hand reading people's stories, I can't help but see myself in other people's experiences.

That keeps me humble, constantly reminded of where I've come from, and focused on the job at hand!!
Old 03-05-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't get me wrong PK, I have received lots of benefit. Just seems that the last couple days after a couple hours on here a post here or there would make me crave wine, as Hope4Me stated. The relapsers make it more difficult for me, at times. Makes me think, well they did it, I can, too. And, I'm trying so hard not to give in.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah that's a fair point, I think maybe the Forum rule on "promotion of drinking" needs tightened up, the last thing we need in the newcomers forum is for people to be tempted back into drinking!!

Keep in mind though the "relapsers" are coming back and posting that they made a mistake, that they want to remain sober and they slipped up!! . . . there is nothing positive about all the thoughts/feelings they experience afterwards!!

But it's a fair point!!
Old 03-05-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me it is helpful to read about the experiences of others with alcohol, and how deadly the disease has been for others. Reading about these experiences of others makes me feel more fully committed to not drinking again. So far (and I haven't been on this forum very long) I have not read anything that made me want to drink again.

However, like everything I think you can get too much of a good thing. So if you are coming here for hours on end then maybe its a good idea to go take a walk or something.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I do and I don't trigger on this site. I trigger off everything so.......I sometimes feel overwhelmed with sadness when I read about people sticking by their A's. Or their A's hurting their supporters Just me probably.....
Old 03-05-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some of the posts do make me think it would be ok to have a few. Even some of the AA meetings makes me want to drink! But I know it's just my AV jumping on an opportunity to screw with my head. I just don't pay attention to it. I know better.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I spend most of my time in the newcomer forum and the F&F forum. Yes, somedays depending on my thought process or what is going on in my life at the time, I have read some posts that make me think I should give into to my demons. When I feel like that I head off to the family forum to remember that my addiction affects everyone around me.

Not everything is about me anymore. My choices affect those around me.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
waking down

I'm focused on addiction because I'm still new to sobriety. I have a lot to learn. I admit I spend a lot of time here just connecting with people, but the vast majority of what I read reinforces my resolve to stay sober and improve myself.

Triggers are everywhere. The key is to recognize them and move on. Sometimes people share their sense of loss and grief about not being able to do some of the things they used to love (or thought they did), but that's only natural. Oops, sorry. Was that a trigger?

I don't think the forum should censor anything that might trigger someone. People wouldn't be able to share their experience.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Being alive was a trigger for me.

You will undoubtedly read about others who are drinking here, just as you would hear about others who are still drinking at AA meetings or in IOP programs, etc.

Here you have the added bonus of simply not reading posts that you feel might somehow "trigger" feelings of drinking.

The bottom line though is that triggers are everywhere, so part if getting sober is learning to deal with them. If you feel a post crosses the line, report it and the mods can make the call.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just a thought: It sounds like the work of the AV, turning negative posts about alcohol into cravings for it. At least that's how I'd look at it if I found myself tempted by reading on SR.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rar

I guess it does act like a trigger in some ways to me. For sure, it is very helpful and motivating to me. Like Zero, it reinforces my desire to not drink.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by TrickyDave View Post
I've had the same thoughts. Seemed as if I didn't spend so much time thinking and reading about alcohol, I'd get it out of my mind quicker.
I"ve been thinking this lately, as well.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

once or a few times I think I've had wandering thoughts of 'what if' that were spurned by this forum.... but in every case, this forum provided a clear and tangible reminder of where drinking would lead for me. Saving me the agony of having to follow those 'what ifs' to their inevitable conclusion because every day there is someone else here on the newcomer's forum sharing their story and reminding me of all of mine.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I love this site. It truly has helped me a lot but I still am in the struggling phase. So for me sometimes I have to not visit and read because I am so sick and tired of my own mind. Every day revolves around drinking or not drinking. I hate it! Thanks for your honesty I can relate!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Joyous one i can so relate to what u just posted. Its exhausting.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

Reading the comments here has the opposite effect for me. It allows me to feel both genuine concern and compassion for people I don't even know. It also strengthens my gratitude, being confronted with the fact that things can and have been much worse for me. I also learn a lot.

And, if I've learned anything, it's that my attempts at pushing away unwanted thoughts and feelings is only another way of giving them more power over me.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Honestly, I come on here because it reminds me of my struggle for sobriety. Plus hopefully I can help a few people along the way which is always a bonus.

I know the truth today about drinking. I do not believe the lies I tell myself to drink. I know the facts today about drinking. I know the steps involved to become RECOVERED. I take it day by day, but yes I find myself spending too much time on here. But what else would I be doing? Watching TV. Useless TV most of the time. I should have studied today for my class tomorrow, but I wont. I am a procrastinator. But hey I have sobriety today by the grace of god, the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous and the fellowship of AA. Without it, I would be locked up in a Canadian Federal Institution, in a mental institution or dead. 2 options my friends. Live a happy and sober life or go on to the bitter end blotting out an alcoholic death. The newcomer then asks, what are my options again. Because in the back of the mind, they think they can control the drink, drink normal or some mental twist. No, 2 options.