Notices

New here, time for change...

Old 03-02-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
WG3

New here, time for change...

Hi to all from Melbourne, Aus.

This is my first post so I will try to be pretty brief. I have been struggling with bingeing now for quite some time. First was once a week and has recently worked it's way up to every second day and leading to me losing my licence due to drunk driving... I was finally open about my problem with my partner of six years this past weekend and so far she is being incredibly supportive. I have been sober now three days which is the longest in some timeand am planning to attend my first meeting this coming Thursday. I have been reading these forums for some time and they seem like a great place for support and some guidance for likeminded people, so looking forward to meeting you all and sharing this journey with you.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome WG3. Lots of support here xxxx
Old 03-02-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR and congrats on three days sober. This is a great place for support.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome WG3 gald that you have joined us. Admitting that you have an issue and seeking assistance is a great first step. You are also lucky that you have a partner that is accepting and supportive. Read lots post lots and take it a day at a time. Look forward to following your progress
Old 03-02-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Congrats on deciding to get sober~
Old 03-02-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you WG. Great job on 3 sober days. We know how hard it is in the beginning. It will get easier. You can do it!
Old 03-02-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
WG3

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm actually doing ok at the moment no cravings or anything of note.. I am more nervous about going to my first meeting on Thursday than anything.. the one I plan to go to is a beginners meeting, does anybody know the difference between this and a normal open meeting?
Old 03-02-2014, 10:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

Congratulations on your new found sobriety. You will have support here at SR and sounds like your partner will be an asset to you as well.

The beginners meetings usually try to focus on newcomers as well as covering the beginnings of AA membership and the Big Book.

All meetings are either open or closed. An open meeting is for anyone to attend, including addicts, family, friends, etc. A closed meeting is only for those who desire to stop drinking, namely alcoholics not addicts. Different meetings involve different topics or different AA books, also meetings with speakers.

The first meeting is nerve wrecking for most of us and they know that so try to relax because they will likely be very welcoming and warm. Keep going to the meetings, the more you go, the more helpful they will become.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard WG3

There's a few Aussies here, and lots of other folks besides...glad you found us

D
Old 03-02-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I'm new here too. I went to a beginners AA meeting last Monday and everyone is so nice and accepting. The women all put their phone numbers on the handout that has the list of all the meetings and times. The members are already saying "if you need someone to talk to call me anytime" It was a great experience and I'm going back tomorrow!! Hope you enjoy your meeting.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
WG3

Thanks guys sounds like the meetings are really nothing to fear, just a new experience I suppose. I'm on day 4 now and still doing well, although I have a bbq I'm supposed to attend this week that I'm a little concerned about. Considering giving it a miss not sure if I'll be comfortable in a situation where the alcohol is flowing freely yet..