Notices

Day one......again :) Newbie here!!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one......again :) Newbie here!!

Hey ya'll!!! I am SO excited to have discovered this place. I am a stay at home mom and I need help and support. I pray I find it here

I have been struggling to break free from Captain Morgan for about 2 years now. My biggest struggle is just saying no when it's in my face. My husband loves it too!!!! I have cried out to him many times and asked him to stop drinking so often because it's SO hard wondering EVERY SINGLE DAY if I will be tempted AGAIN come 6pm. On a good week it will only be 3-4 nights of drinking. Some weeks it's every night. I will face it again tonight......but today I QUIT!!!!

My biggest struggle is knowing HOW to do this when my best friend loves it and will not quit right now. It is a fear I encounter daily!!!

Anywho.....I can't wait to spend more time looking around here and getting to know some of you
Old 03-03-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome and well done on day one xxxx
Old 03-03-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum, great to have you onboard!!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you!!! Question.....I am a bit overwhelmed on where to even begin around here. I want to connect with some ladies who are trying to quit but still living with someone who drinks. Any suggestions on where to search?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, we have a friends and family section, for those who are friends/family of an alcoholic:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

or, a dedicated women's room (men not allowed):

Women In Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

But probably the friends and family of an alcoholic section will have more activity for responses on that particular question!!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would continue to post and read, I think you'll find quite a few people that are in your situation or similar.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Carrie, Welcome. My husband is not a big drinker but he does drink on occasion. He is not supportive of my recovery though. He thinks it is silly. You will finds loads of good people here. Keep posting.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Carrie! Congrats on realizing you want to live a healthier life and be a better role model for your beautiful son! I would hope that over time, your best friend would support your efforts at sobriety once he realizes you are serious about changing your ways. I also wonder if your husband may feel a little threatened, scared, or concerned that he may have an issue as well?

Welcome to the site and best of luck! Please remember that you will read about a lot of different approaches and tactics to remain sober. Only you will know which will work best for you!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Hi Carrie

I can relate
Come join the Class of March 2014 thread. It's for those of us wanting to quit in March...shall we say we want to March on!
Welcome
Old 03-03-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you!! I don't know how he can't know he has an issue. I believe he knows but at this point doesn't ever voice he wants to quit. However, he did say he wanted to go all week without it and he did actually make it until Thursday. So yeah, he probably sees it. I have just been battling this WAY too long now and I am tired. Mentally exhausted!! I want to do this for me and up to this point it has been us. I have become a little bitter because he doesn't see my struggles or take them seriously. I do know he won't until he sees his own :/

I want to radically change my life. I want to start fresh and live to my full potential. This is a major roadblock and I hate it!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Use SR; post and read the stories. It helps and can fill the time during a craving or difficult time. When I get close to convincing myself I can have a drink I play the scenario through to the next day and the disappointment in myself. That seems to help.

It gets better...
Old 03-03-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi CJ and welcome!

I can relate, too. I am a mom. I stayed home to raise my children for 6 years. I have a husband who drinks a lot. I tried to stop drinking many, many times. My kids got older and went to school, I started to work, and was still drinking 4-5 nights a week.

You're in the right place if transformation is your goal. The first time I reached out to SR was a year ago. After two weeks sober, I decided to start to drink "moderately." Fast forward a year, with several failed attempts at moderation, and I knew I needed to come back here to stop for good. I posted on the thread for my quitting month. The support I receive from that group has changed my life.

You can have the same results too.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family from a fellow Buckeye. You'll find lots of support here. I'm glad you joined us.