Notices

Cant cope - Please help !!!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Cant cope - Please help !!!

The title says it all really, I have been sober for 6 weeks, but life seems to be beating me down. Feeling depressed and just cant cope without a drink.

I dont know what I am asking for, there is nothing anyone can do, except give what seem like empty words of encouragement, when all I want to do is get pissed.

Still sober, but my resolve has evaporated. I cant cope.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe you need more support Autan?
If you feel you're clinically depressed speaking to a Dr may help?

The one thing I know is that drinking will not solve anything.
You will be left with the same feelings, and a whole host of new ones.

You already know whats back there - it makes sense to me to stay on this new road.

The AV can be very tricky - I know you've been using AVRT - what does it say about this?

D
Old 02-17-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear it. Many of us had a lot of help to learn coping skills. Have you ever thought about getting some medical/professional assistance with this illness? A cheap recovery clinic or rehab? Addiction therapy? These organizations and professionals exist because people like us need them.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think life is a process where we all get beat down. However, how do we attain happiness? Through a chemical like alcohol? I used to stare at a wall where my guitar sat for years not realizing that my happiness existed in playing the dam thing. I stared at my dirty kitchen for years forgetting that I'm a dam good cook. I relied on every chemical you can think of to put me into an abstract world when what I was looking for was right in front of me. I realize these are empty words .. but it was my experience. Take what you will. Ramblings of an old man you understand
Old 02-17-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Maybe you need more support Autan?
If you feel you're clinically depressed speaking to a Dr may help?

The one thing I know is that drinking will not solve anything.
You will be left with the same feelings, and a whole host of new ones.

You already know whats back there - it makes sense to me to stay on this new road.

The AV can be very tricky - I know you've been using AVRT - what does it say about this?

D
Thanks for responding Dee, please what should I do, I feel like I am carrying a huge burden, things are not going well at work, this causing problems with my homelife. I need a way to just be the old me, just for a little while. I know this means drinking but if I dont do something soon, I am finished. Sh-t I just dont know what to do for the best.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

Try to remember that life will always have ups and downs. Sometimes the downs seem to keep piling up before things get better. Alcohol was my coping mechanism so I struggle to find ways to deal with the downs and depression. I just remind myself that drinking will not actually fix any of the issues that I am dealing with, it will only numb me and then I will start to ignore my problems. When I do decide to sober up, the problems have only piled up and it makes sobriety that much more difficult. My best advice is patience and determination, knowing that things will start going your way if you wait. Good Luck autan. Don't let the alcohol and depression tell you what to do.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Sorry to hear it. Many of us had a lot of help to learn coping skills. Have you ever thought about getting some medical/professional assistance with this illness? A cheap recovery clinic or rehab? Addiction therapy? These organizations and professionals exist because people like us need them.
Theres no time, my business is going down the tubes like yesterday.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Autan, 6 weeks sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations. That side of you that wants to drink is using ever trick in the book to try to get you to do so. Rootin for ya.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

The bottom line is, my happiness is based on my family being secure. They are secure because my business provides for them. It provides because Autan, is good at doing what he does. He is only good at this while drunk.

You see the problem, since I have been sober (6 weeks), my business is on its knees and so am I. I cannot cope without the old me. Its not much of a choice, but I am beginning to realise that I need to prioritise.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Live easy but think first

I can only speak from my experience.
1.) You aren't alone. We drank because it was our solution. It stopped working, though. When we give up alcohol, we need a new solution.
2.) I found a solution in 12 steps. That may work for you. If it doesn't, do not worry. There are others. SMART is another one. The thing is to find people in your area that can support you and show you the way. We need support.
3.) Learning about the disease of addiction helped me understand why I feel the way I feel and how I can change it.

Good on you for reaching out!!!

Daxemus

Old 02-17-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

I think I have just answered my own question. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My experience as well. I could only do my job while I was using/drinking because of the intensity and stress. However, there came a time where my body and my mind had to take a break to get well. I had to kick the addiction that kept me fueled but was also killing me. Thank you for your post. The trap you see yourself in is the same one many of us have experienced. Be well.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've got only a few days of sobriety on you, nothing more, so I can't offer you any sage advice, just my little bit of experience.

What became important for me was the realization that I really couldn't do this on my own. Checking into a facility where I was removed from all of my life circumstances made a difference. I did two weeks there but could have easily spent six. Attending sessions where we identified our drinking triggers and discussed non-drinking/using ways to cope with our anxieties helped. I also have a therapist that helps me work on the emotional **** behind my drinking.

These are big issues, ones we've obviously demonstrated little ability to address on our own. Seeking help and trusting the things you're told, even when they don't make immediate sense, is a difficult but critical part of the process.

Wishing you my best. I hope you keep giving sobriety a go.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Autun - that must be so f****** awful for you. Wherever you decide, and we hope it's sobriety, let us know how you are and let us try to help.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by autan View Post
The bottom line is, my happiness is based on my family being secure. They are secure because my business provides for them. It provides because Autan, is good at doing what he does. He is only good at this while drunk.

You see the problem, since I have been sober (6 weeks), my business is on its knees and so am I. I cannot cope without the old me. Its not much of a choice, but I am beginning to realise that I need to prioritise.
The problem with this argument is the same things that bought you here to SR will happen again. Guaranteed. Probably worse next time.

Booze doesn't give you any talents or aptitudes that you don't have naturally Autan.

I think your AV has you so wound up right now you're not even really taking in the responses you're getting here.

You're panicking. Take a deep breathe
Take back control.

Dismiss drinking as an option.
There must be other options.

What else do you have?

D
Old 02-17-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

Each time I have sobered up, my work life has suffered and I have been on the verge of being fired due to my poor performance. In the beginning, I am learning to cope again, I have a fog in my head, I am trying to concentrate with a constant voice reminding me about booze, the withdrawal symptoms make functioning near impossible. Things do turn around. You start to remember what made you great and you can incorporate those things into your sober life. I am just now inching back into the safety zone at work currently, but have been teetering on the edge. You can still be successful and confidant staying sober.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by autan View Post
He is only good at this while drunk.
What a bunch of hot air. That's not you talking, man. Picking up the bottle is just adding one more weight around your neck - don't start piling on here. It's time to give yourself a break. Take a deep breath and relax.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Man find some people to talk with, your peers would be good. There are many choices these days all of them good. Just acknowledge that voice and then tell it to %^^& off and do what you have to do to stay sober. It will improve and improve and improve but only if you stay sober.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post because you gave me a lot to think about. Why I relapsed after ten and a half months of sobriety. Fear of economic and emotional instability. I hope you find a resolution to what is troubling you. It can be overwhelming.

Last summer I had 10.5 months sober. I was feeling a little anxious but doing okay. I found that my husband relapsed. In the minute between the time I found the bottle and he admitted drinking it seemed my life flashed at fast forward and none of it pretty. I saw the bank accounts dwindle because he was either not working or was stealing money from the accounts, I saw myself going to bed by myself every night that he was out until dawn. Me doing all the work around the house and holding it all together because my salary pays the bills. His is icing on the cake. I saw our debt grow higher as I charged bills to overcome the shortfall because of the drained accounts. All this in the flash of an eye.

I drank because that picture scared me. I had gone through it too many times. I kept drinking and all I had pictured came to fruition. My fears became reality. But the alcohol only made things worse because now I was wasting money on alcohol plus being a lunatic while drinking. Finally I had enough. I put the brakes on November 12, 2013. It wasn't easy. My husband continued to use but I had inside me what I needed to survive and had only just realized it.

I CAN do this sober. You can too, I am willing to bet but fear might be blocking your vision. Peace.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Praying for you. Stay strong. We are here for you.