Notices

Cant cope - Please help !!!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am willing to bet but fear might be blocking your vision
can be so true Ruby.
Seriously, the AV has to be one of the most manipulating, lying, scamming, thieving bugger going.
It provides because Autan, is good at doing what he does. He is only good at this while drunk.
You are Autan, you are bigger, better, stronger, smarter, clever and more beautiful sober.....hang in there...
Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am new too. Autan, your advice was one of the strong voices I've heard on this site. I know how it can be, easier to help others before ones self, however maybe it's time that you focus on you.

I own a business too, and i know it involves personality plus. The happy confident parts of pairing with drinking looks attractive, but there are always the downsides.

Would your family suffer over time if you continued to drink?

I walked by a house I had bid on a few years back, wanted it so badly, and the lady picked another buyer, "on a hunch". I was crushed! Had written a sappy letter and everything. i looked at the house today, and could see all of its flaws (like no garage), etc. What I ended up with was the right place, and I've been able to sustain it through the rough economy.

You might not see a different opportunity right at this moment, but it is there.

Stay healthy!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Autan, have been fighting the good fight for a long time. I'm really sorry you are going through a tough time, but are a smart guy and you know what drinking is going to do to you and your situation. Don't let your emotions guide your decisions. Take care.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Autan I run my own business too so I know what it's like going through the cycles of cash flow being short. You know drinking won't help you or the business, it seems like an answer but it's just AV talking the usual crap.

Early in recovery I found I needed to do a lot of sleeping while my body healed itself. That's the first thing I'd suggest you look at: are you getting enough sleep and are you eating well? At this time of year I imagine getting exercise is hard for you unless you go to a gym but try to do something even if it's just stretching. You've got to look after you.

You said that you needed to "prioritise" -- excellent thought. If it's a matter of getting through the work make a list of tasks that need doing, then put them in order of urgency. If business has slowed up then work out why -- seasonality maybe? Anything not followed up on? Do you need to contact customers? Promote the business more?

Try doing a "brain dump" -- empty everything out of your brain by putting it on paper. You could well find your answers there.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by autan View Post
The bottom line is, my happiness is based on my family being secure. They are secure because my business provides for them. It provides because Autan, is good at doing what he does. He is only good at this while drunk.

You see the problem, since I have been sober (6 weeks), my business is on its knees and so am I. I cannot cope without the old me. Its not much of a choice, but I am beginning to realise that I need to prioritise.
Have you asked your partner, kids etc what they want? A partner/dad who is miserable and ill because of his fear of where his drinking is taking him, or their father, partner in their life safe, healthy and happy even if he works at Kmart? Shouldn't they be involved in your choices too? You're no good to them in pieces. Pick up that phone and call someone now for help, friend, Lifeline whoever - don't make a mistake you regret, please xxx
Old 02-17-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

This new life in recovery requires to be lived in self discipline everyday. The diffrence btwn a six wk old puppy & six wk old alki is the former stops whining after 6 wks. I don't know you're complete situation but discuss it w/ sponsor or network coz drinking is not solution for you'll have to face yourself the next day
But that almost 2 mths of time will have long been pissed down the crapper
Old 02-18-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's best if we confine ourselves to constructive advice here.
I cant see how this

The diffrence btwn a six wk old puppy & six wk old alki is the former stops whining after 6 wks.
is helpful, 1newcreation?

D
Old 02-18-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're struggling.
Drinking doesn't help you cope or make you less depressed .It just blocks out how you are feeling till the next day when it comes back with a vengeance.

I saw my doc for depresssion, tried exercise esp yoga and found mindfulness/meditation and reading about positive thinking really helped me. 6 weeks is still early on- it really does get better mentally about 2-3 months mark.Please don't drnk -nothing will get better then,it will just get worse

Work can be hard at first because everything is just so raw.I felt like I was performing very badly at everything ,work and home. It really does improve though
Old 02-18-2014, 12:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I hope I didn't step over the line Dee, sorry if I did x
Old 02-18-2014, 01:25 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hey Autan, just saw this thread, it's morning where you and I are, so hopefully your feeling a bit better with the beginning of a new day.

You and I know that drinking is not the answer, sure it'll numb things for a while, but we also both know that once that door is opened, a binge is on the horizon, possibly over a couple of days, and that's going to be an even worse place to be.

Have a check back over your last "relapse" thread, how it made you feel and all the things about that place that you didn't want to go back to!!

Rooting for ya!!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Hi Autan,

Please check in later and let us know how you are doing.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Ok, so I can relate a bit. I'm a business owner who works drunk at home and I'm like a nervous, anxious jellyfish who can barely respond to customers when sober (fear). But I also make my own product which I do better sober, no matter how much my AV tries to tell me that I am happier doing this drunk. I'm mulling over methods to help me with my fear and anxiety that do not include alcohol. Be that yoga, therapy, AA, exercise, meditation.....I don't know, but I DO know that alcohol will kill me and it doesn't truly make me better at anything. It makes me worse on all levels.

I'm rooting for you!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Rooting for you too! Without knowing the specifics, it sounds like you are setting up a FALSE argument that you drinking is what makes you good at what you do and is therefore best for your family.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
EndGame

It seems the OP has left the building.

We need to know where you're at, autan, in order to help.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Autan! I hope you come back to us. I am a big supporter of yours. I always look forward to your commentary too. I'm so sorry that you're having a hard time right now. REAL coping skills can fix this, not booze. It doesn't happen overnight, and I know you know that. SR is here for you! I hope you come back soon. :-(

As someone who has worked with dogs professionally, for over a decade- I can say with certainty that dog vocalizations (including "whining") do not end at any age. Especially not "whining", as it's one of the more vital forms of vocalization- used to communicate pain, fear, need, and even sadness. So beyond that analogy being "unhelpful" and flat wrong- it's also very insensitive. That's all.

Come back to us Autan!!! :::SR hugs:::
Old 02-18-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
sunshinescooby

who knows what will happen if you continue sobriety? No one, unless you believe in God..

However, we all know what will happen if you decide not to stay sober. Maybe not today or tomorrow, next week or next year, but eventually it is highly likely that you will lose everything..
Old 02-18-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you are feeling a bit more positive, Autan.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Autan....Just wanted to say that I am thinking about you and hope that all is okay with you. I'm hoping you come back soon.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:59 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by autan View Post
The title says it all really, I have been sober for 6 weeks, but life seems to be beating me down. Feeling depressed and just cant cope without a drink.

I dont know what I am asking for, there is nothing anyone can do, except give what seem like empty words of encouragement, when all I want to do is get pissed.

Still sober, but my resolve has evaporated. I cant cope.
.....and just cant cope without a drink. - Thats just a cop-out, a lie.
Welcome to the club, I am an alcoholic, my default reaction to life is just get wasted. I have a whole new way of looking at life now, in a sober, happy, serene way. They may seem like empty words to you, but its a deadly disease. I wouldnt be here if I didnt want to help. I am sure I have helped a few people see the true light of this disease. But if you have your blinders on, you are still prejudice, then so be it. I hope you dont die from this disease. Many people out there in the world, will never get inside an AA room. They will never know anything about a 12 step program. They are not willing to try it out. I am sorry to say that most will die sucking on a bottle.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll come back and let us know how you are Autan.

D