Notices

I don't believe in god, will AA work for me?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't believe in god, will AA work for me?

I just read a little and it seems a bit religious. I'm gay and not fond of being pushed religiously. Any advice?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

My best advice is just to find a meeting where you feel comfortable, and worry about how you will or won't define God later.

"...Many of us found that acting as if we believe was helpful. This does not mean we should be dishonest. Rather, it means that if we have doubts, we practice the program as if we believe we can be restored to sanity."

Narcotics Anonymous, It Works: How and Why, NAWS 1993, pp. 19-20.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes - it will work. It changed my life. I had a big issue with the "God word" too when I arrived. AA is not religious in the traditional sense.

I would suggest (when you're ready) to bring g this up as a topic at a meeting - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised what you hear.

Check out some of Clancy I's AA leads. I think you'll like them.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm not religious either, and AA has worked well for me. I would suggest you go to a meeting and chat to people there about it, you will no doubt find many others who share your views.

In my experience, nearly 2 years in AA, I've met more people who do not follow a religion than do. Many, myself included, use the word God, but it means something different for each of us.

I think you will find your worries will be unfounded. There is also a secular 12 step forum here on SR you could ask advice on.

Best of luck
Old 02-12-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

That's fine; then believe in the people who do believe. If want to make doorknob your god, then by all means. Suggest reading pgs25 &26 of 12&12 plus the story of gay alki pg359 big bk. if don't have either bk, google it of course free
If sobriety is your aim, are you gonna let a God whom you don't believe in stop you?
Old 02-12-2014, 11:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1newcreation View Post
That's fine; then believe in the people who do believe. If want to make doorknob your god, then by all means. Suggest reading pgs25 &26 of 12&12 plus the story of gay alki pg359 big bk. if don't have either bk, google it of course free
If sobriety is your aim, are you gonna let a God whom you don't believe in stop you?
I'm sorry 1newcreation, I'm not sure I understand? Your reference to the doorknob or gay alki pages are a little confusing. Can you please be more specific?
Old 02-12-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would suggest chatting to members of AA in person might benefit you most Sydney. I don't have the numbers for the Australia hotline, but they would be easy to find with a simple google search. Or pop to your local meeting.

The people manning those phone lines are all alcoholics, the same as you and me. They will be delighted to talk through your concerns I'm sure.

Try to keep an open mind
Old 02-12-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

if you would like to talk to someone, call us (aa sydney) now on (02) 9799 1199 - 24 hrs

http://www.aasydney.org.au/index.html
d
Old 02-12-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sydney, you'll find meetings in Sydney are spiritual rather than religious. 'God' is shorthand for a higher power of your own understanding.

The Big Book of AA talks about God, but it also talks about concepts like 'Spirit of the Universe' and God as a 'previously unsuspected inner resource'.

You will find meetings in the inner west/darlinghurst/surry hills area are quite broadminded and there are some LGBTI specific meetings. If you look at the AA website and go to the meeting finder, you'll see Rainbow House in Surry Hills. That would be a good place to start for a new person who is gay in AA. The meetings in Newtown and Erskineville would be good too.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I am not religious and I go to AA. I take what I need from the meetings and leave the rest. I try to leave my judgement at the door when I go to a meeting this also includes any judgements I have about religion. I have no problem hearing people's stories in regards to God or their higher power and I have no problem saying the serenity prayer. I simple take the word God out and put my own spin on it.

AA for me is about connecting with other alcoholics and in a way the meetings give me comfort as there are some things I can't control and AA reminds me of this. It keeps me humble and reminds me that no everything is about me.

I personally have never run into any problems with anyone because I am not religious. However, some people do. Just remember that this is your recovery and you can do it the way it works for you. Some stuff in AA makes sense to me some doesn't. I work on the stuff right now that makes sense and use that in my recovery.

I agree with someone else about keeping an open mind. I do several programs and each one has it's positive and negative. I am not going to let the negative of the programs deter me from not going because in order for me to stay sober I have to do something. But this is just what I have to do for me.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

yes. it will!!

Old 02-13-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

For me, right now, the "higher power" (God) is simply the power of the AA rooms to help keep me sober. Something *happens* when alcoholics get together and try and help one another...it keeps them sober. I look at that as a power great than myself, since I cannot achieve it alone. I look at that phenomenon as a "higher power". That non-religious understanding is perfectly accepted by AA.

Also, I live out in the sticks and there are quite a few gay people in the meetings around here.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sydney,

I walked into the rooms of AA a number of years ago as a lifelong, dedicated atheist who believed that the idea of a higher power was a crutch for weak-minded sheep. However, I was hopeless and had already tried doctors, counselors, treatment, rehab, etc. in an attempt to stay sober, and failed at each of those. I asked AA for help, got a book-thumping sponsor right from the start who showed me in detail what AA meant by a 'concept of my own understanding'. He pointed out the requirements of Step 2 in that I be willing to believe in something, without needing any definition of what that something was.

A reluctant journey through the Steps, and a few months later my alcohol problem was gone and I haven't had to worry about it since. This process required a little open-mindedness on my part, and I had to set aside some things I didn't want to give up, but by following the precise directions through the Steps, it worked in my life and continues to work. Best of luck to you.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I see that a majority of people are simply saying they’re "not religious." But that's not the same as not believing in God. My dad is one of the most conservative Christians I know. Off the reservation. He's a creationist. Goes to church twice a week when he's not already helping out with church functions. He's constantly trying to witness to me. But don't ever call him religious.
I think the real question is "will AA help for those who cannot submit to the idea of a higher power."
Personally, I'm a secular humanist. I.e. there is/are no God(s). We derive our morality from certain evolutionary needs. There is no higher power to surrender to.
Does this perspective perhaps change things any?

EDIT: Though some individuals did cover that in the time it took me to post.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

AA isn't really about God....or religion. AA can work for anyone who really really wants sobriety as long as they work the program honestly...
Old 02-13-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober Today

This was/is my biggest disconnect with AA (I stopped going). I found there are some meetings that are heavy on the religion/God talk and some that aren't. Trying different meetings until you find some you are comfortable with really helps. But I'm in the Bible Belt so didn't expect much different.

eta: And, yes, even the higher power concept is extremely difficult for me. But I found the meetings very helpful in staying sober.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

god is a short word for A Power Greater Than Me

the people in the meetings
good orderly direction
the universe
love
something

Something happened to me when I worked those steps and took a look at my behavior. That something helps to keep me sober today.
In meetings, I may identify that something as god, just cause it's a small word...sometimes I say a power greater than me or my higher power....

something happened and I am still sober almost 3 years later!

It's about spirituality; being selfless instead of self centered. works for me!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

the idea is to go in and Just have an open mind, dont decide anything (thatll happen later)
Old 02-13-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

There is a Secular Forum here. Might be a good start for you. Also, there are meetings here on Tuesday and Friday. Never found them to push any religion.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by Sydney1988 View Post
I'm sorry 1newcreation, I'm not sure I understand? Your reference to the doorknob or gay alki pages are a little confusing. Can you please be more specific?
The doorknob refers to your ability to make anything you want your higher power. I guess a doorknob could be powerful because it lets you in and out of situations.

The gay alki pages are a personal account of recovery in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. There are numerous such stories from a wide variety of members of society. I found these personal stories to be inspiring in my early recovery, and I recommend reading them.

SoberRecovery is a great source of information. In the AA and NA meetings I attend, "cross talk" is strongly discouraged. That means that one does not comment directly about what another person says, so it is out of line to pose a question to the group. But you can do that here at SoberRecovery--there is no shortage of people waiting to comment on what you post!