Notices

TERRIFIED of Alcohol Detox

Old 02-09-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

TERRIFIED of Alcohol Detox

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I've been lurking the board for a couple of weeks now, and am so happy to have found this forum. Seems like a great support system, with tons of great people!

I'll be entering a treatment facility later this week for alcohol detox for the very first time, and I'm absolutely terrified about how sick I'll get or how bad it will be for me. Even though this facility offers a benzo taper plan, I'm afraid that my 15+ years of heavy drinking are going to make the 5-day stay an absolute nightmare.

Any words of encouragement would be more than welcomed. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Bob
Old 02-09-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
waking down

Welcome!

It is what it is. I drank for 40 years, and I have to say I'm glad you're doing it under medical supervision. Look at it this way, it will be a lot less painful than the suffering you would cause yourself if you kept drinking. You can do it. Glad you're checking yourself in - that takes big courage. Look forward to visiting with you on the other side.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

You may still get the dry heaves and crazy dreams, but the benzos help a LOT with paranoia, panic and anxiety. They help with the shakes. The good thing about a lot of places you detox at is you have the company of people who are in the same boat....and sometimes AA meetings are available too.

An inpatient detox is truly not too bad, nothing to be scared of and you are surrounded by people in the exact same boat (which I always found comforting).
Old 02-09-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bob

withdrawal is so idiosyncratic - I had detoxes where I had no symptoms at all, and then I had some very bad ones.

try and relax - chances are it may not be anywhere as bad as you fear, and in any case, you'll be in a place where you have medical care - it is really the best option

welcome to SR
D
Old 02-09-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Welcome bob
Don't be terrified bout it coz there will be a doc & meds to do it safely & not suffer withdrawals. Tomm is not here yet anyway so don't worry bout it. Live 1 day @ time
Old 02-09-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Bob!

I found my detox program to be relatively painless. I was so distracted by sleeping and living in a strange place that I forgot about symptoms (the benzos helped me too).

You'll be fine!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck Bob. We are here for you.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

It can be scary going in to detox, but speaking from experience it is far less scary than pulling over to have a seizure on the way to work in the morning. The doctors are there to keep you safe and comfortable. They want your detox to be as painless as possible to give you the best opportunity to be sober. My best advice is to be very honest and specific about your withdrawal symptoms. That way the nurses can administer exactly what meds you need to be safe. Good luck! In 5 days you will be amazed at how good it feels to not be chained to a bottle!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Bob xxx
Old 02-10-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you SO much for all of your responses. My anxiety has largely dissipated, and for the better part of today I've been looking forward to taking this next step in my recovery.

Tomorrow, I call the facility to determine availability of a bed in the detox unit for Wednesday morning. I REALLY hope that I'll be able to get in and make this happen ASAP. Keep your fingers crossed for me...will definitely keep you all posted on my progress!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! You are doing the best thing for yourself. I'm glad you are here.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wish you well during your detox. I'm glad you're doing this under medical supervision.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks again to you all for your responses and support. Bed reservation has been verified at the treatment center, and I'll be heading to the treatment center at noon today EST. Keep those positive thoughts coming, and I'll hopefully be reporting in here five days from now on a path to sobriety and good health! Stay well, all!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck! You got this!

Be sure to check back in when you have a chance!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Congratulations on your decision! I actually enjoyed my time at medical detox. I had been drinking for about 30 years and had no idea what to expect. It wasn't bad at all. They gave us meds to help, they fed us very well, and taught us some coping skills for when we went back outside. Just become a sponge and absorb everything you can. This is a wonderful gift you are giving yourself. (((HUGS)))
Old 02-12-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's gonna be ok.
I cried a lot, but then I didn't.
GOOD FOR YOU for going in.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Good for you, Bob!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Realising my life

A brilliant and life-changing decision to make, Bob - you're right on the brink of giving yourself a new future! We'll all be here to support you every step of the way
Old 02-12-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
gems

All the best Bob, you'll be ok and put it this way, even if it sucks for a day or two just remember the reason why you're doing it....for a bigger and.better future
All the best
Gems.xX
Old 02-12-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

don't be afraid.you body and mind needs this treatment.it will help i have been there like a lot of us.keep an open mind and get the rest you need.