Notices

Sober adventures

Old 02-15-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober adventures

I'm on Day 15 after 20 years of drinking. Something I've become acutely aware of is that my posts are about me avoiding drinking at events where everyone in attendance is drinking, at home where my husband is drinking. I would like to have sober fun, but I don't know where to begin.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I do everything I want to do sober, and it's far more fun than when I was drinking. I can drive or do anything without danger or regret.

There are lots of things to do that don't involve drinking: museums, movies, libraries are all places that don't focus on drinking. Also, if you have extra time on your hands perhaps you can find a place to volunteer. A homeless shelter or animal shelter. It's a way to give back to your community and get 'out of your head' for a while. Not to mention making new friends.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a while to work out how to have fun sober.

at 15 days I couldn't even contemplate being at an event where others were drinking, so you're ahead of me there.

Give it time - trying to avoid drinking is probably right where you need to be right now at day 15.

If these events are hard for you, I think it's ok to decline invitations until you feel more ready.

D
Old 02-16-2014, 01:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There are many things to do sober-it's just a case of looking them out. Everything Iused to do revolved around drinking so I had no idea how many sober things existed
Old 02-16-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I suppose drinking hasn't afforded me time to cultivate a whole lot of hobbies and interests. The pathetic thing is that it's been so long since I've done stuff while sober, and the first time I'm not going along with the crowd for the sake of fitting in, or losing myself in someone else due to loose boundaries, that I don't even know what I'd actually LIKE to do.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Once you get some sober time under your belt you'll actually start to realize how limiting a life of alcohol addiction really is. It's amazing how there is really SO much more to life when you lose those alcohol tinted glasses...so many new opportunities and experiences arise that you didn't know existed. Give it some time and you'll be amazed what awaits the new sober you.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile

Now into my tenth month of sobriety (post 50 years) I am finding new interests are 'just popping up'.
Also, I find AA as both an interesting way to socialize, not to mention keeping on track.