Notices

When is mommy coming home?

Old 02-05-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When is mommy coming home?

I am a grandma of a 5 and 7 year old whose mother (my daughter) is an addict. Her drug of choice is Meth but also uses Heroin. She actually stayed home almost 3 months but just took off again last Friday. The biggest struggle I have is trying to answer the kids questions on where mommy is, when will she come home and why she won't come home....the three W's are killing me. They are so sad and I can't figure out a way to explain it to them. Their dad is in prison and has either been gone or in jail for most of their lives, but the kids still know him and he writes them letters. They witnessed him getting arrested and literally running from the police and this has also affected them. Any suggestions from anyone else who has had to deal with this and how to explain it to a child?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Welcome to SR. I am so sorry you are going thru this, there is just no easy way to explain this sort of things to kids, especially at that age. Have you thought about getting them some counselling?

Feel free to post here anytime. There is also the family forum:

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

There are so many here who will offer you some help and support .
Old 02-05-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you!

My daughter had a scheduled meeting the day before she took off to talk with someone who was going to give her some resources for counseling but, of course, my daughter cancelled the meeting. In one of her more lucid moments she gave me temporary power of attorney for their education and medical needs but that expires soon as it was only for six months. However, I will see what I can accomplish in that area. They already attend a counseling session at school but I don't think it amounts to much one on one time. I appreciate your response and concern. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I really think there needs to be more resources for the family members that get dragged into our black hole. There is so much resources out there for me, however, not very much for you.

There is also Nar-Anon or Al-Anon this is for family members as well. Might be something that you can try for you.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers and a special one for your daughter so that she finds her way back to her kids and you.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't have any advice but just wanted to tell you that what you're doing is wonderful and your grandchildren are very fortunate to have your care
Old 02-06-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I don't have any advice either; I can't even begin to imagine what you and your grandchildren must be going through. I just wanted to echo that you're a wonderful and loyal grandmother and mother and that there's always Al-Anon, Nar-Anon, counselling and our friends & family forum available.