Notices

My Heart

Old 02-05-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Heart

I have been reading all the posts since i have joined a few weeks ago, not yet made one day sober though. I will not give up and keep reading how alcohol destroys lives till i catch a wake up. My heart is so sore. When i was in rehab i feel in love with my counsellor. I confessed this to him and the psychologist and we "worked " through it. Once i left rehab i stayed in contact with him. One day he confessed that he had feelings for me and we decided to meet. Not even 2 months after i left rehab. I was totally in love with him and he said that i should just wait a few months then he will speak to his manager and sure he will understand that we love each other.. well this never happened and he now said i need to wait a year. Soon after this i relapsed and my emotions were all over the place. I dont blame him for my relapse i just still feel a little used.. perhaps he is sincere and we can be together after a year .. but i believe they actually have to wait 2 years so maybe he is lying to me again.. So now i find comfort in alcohol again and get scared of the thought of stopping cause i am lonely... I am a divorced mother of 2 beautiful kids.. Well now that i have written it all down i hope my mind and heart will make the right decision. You guys are all great on SR.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm really not sure how you will be able to love another while destroying yourself....

I wonder if you are ready to see this as an opportunity to focus on returning YOU to a place of love and health.... and worry about love relationships down the road.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your counselor crossed a very serious professional line. If anyone should know the vulnerability of someone in early recovery it should have been him. I think you should entertain the idea that you "fell in love" with him because he was simply 'there' and a man. He was a man that was being paid to listen and council you. Maybe you don't really love him. Maybe you just latched on to the first person who seemed to care. That is the first thing counselors are told NOT TO DO. You DONT date clients. This really bothers me. He took advantage of you in my opinion. Don't worry about if he will be there after a year. Worry about YOU and YOUR RECOVERY. No telling how many times he has done this either....
Old 02-05-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Need. What a tough spot to be in. You know that alcohol will not make anything better. Get yourself sober again and work from there. Alcohol is not your boyfriend, it only makes life more difficult.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello NeedSupport and welcome to SR! I feel for you and the situation you have found yourself in. It must be hard. I have a mental health professional background and your counselor was very inappropriate to even express intimate feelings towards you. You are in a fragile state and its written in our ethics that we should not communicate with a client outside a therapeutic context for a certain amount of time (at least 2yrs for most professions) if at all. Some would argue its inappropriate no matter how much time has passed. When in therapy a counselor listens attentively, looks you in the eye, helps you find yourself and reach your goals, etc. Your counselor studied and trained to be that way while at work. Chances are he is a normal person with imperfections in his personal life.

Please do not be fooled NeedSupport, this type of situation is no good. Your counselor knows quite a lot about you on a vulnerable level but chances are you know very little about him. I say run the other way and focus on getting healthy. There are so many red flags! Think of it like students who fall in love with teachers or an employee who has an affair with the boss - extremely toxic situations with one person holding more power than the other.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am no expert on rehab or professional relationships but I agree with ErikT.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In rehab its very common for people to become smitten with eachother. Its called "Rehab Romance". Never works though. So I can see how you could become smitten with your councilor. It was HIS responsibility to nip it in the bud immediately. He should have given your case to another councilor due to conflicts of interest. FOR YOUR SAKE. Im sorry...but, this makes me ill.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I'd forget about the counselor if I were you. He crossed a line in accepting your affection and shouldn't have done that. I'd concentrate on my own recovery and forget about him.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Listen
Old 02-05-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi needsupport

It's very common for patients to form attachments with, or develop feelings for, their counsellors - I did it for years.

Like you say I was lonely and desperate not to be. A kind word was often interpreted as much more by me.

Thankfully, looking back, my counsellors were always professional.

This guy sounds like bad news to me, I'm afraid. It sounds to me like he's taken advantage of your loneliness and is now stringing you along.

Noone is worth relapsing for, especially not a guy like this.

You deserve better, and I'm sure you'll find it - focus on your recovery and your family for now - when the time is right I'm sure things will fall into place and you'll meet Mr Right.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You wouldn't be out of line at all if you turned him into his boss. No telling if this guys been doing this all along to others.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That is precisely my sentiments, bet he has done this possibly doing it to others right now! Forget him and work on YOUR Sobriety!Stay Strong andWell!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

forget about that guy!!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Needsupport3 View Post
perhaps he is sincere and we can be together after a year .. but i believe they actually have to wait 2 years so maybe he is lying to me again..
Anyone who was concerned about your recovery wouldn't ask you to do this. In fact, if he was concerned about your well being, he wouldn't have even have put you in this situation.

This guy is a predator plain and simple. Takes advantage of those that are vulnerable. It's people like this that give counselling a bad name.

You should report him and if you have any emails and texts from him you should also include them.

Unfortunately you are probably not the only one he has done this to and you won't be the last. He shouldn't be allowed to victimize anyone else.

Please don't let someone like this interfere in your recovery. They are so not worth it.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Need, I think that there are some wise insights here, tough to hear and process most likely, but I think there is some experience speaking. Sending you postive thoughts.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone!! , its good to hear what my heart and head and been telling me all along. I am still guilty though, it was both of us. But I will forgive and move on and hope to start my recovery very soon again !!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Needsupport3 View Post
Thank you so much everyone!! , its good to hear what my heart and head and been telling me all along. I am still guilty though, it was both of us. But I will forgive and move on and hope to start my recovery very soon again !!
It wasn't YOU at all !!! You were vulnerable. Your head was all over the place. You were there for recovery. Addicts in rehab don't have their heads screwed on straight due to obvious reasons. Believe me...Ive been there. This was completely HIS fault. And ON PURPOSE I might add.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks ErikT, I just feel so angry cause I wont get another opportunity to go back to Rehab..... it was then wasted!! Cause I am back to square one
Old 02-06-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh..no no no....a trip through rehab is never wasted. You still have all the knowledge you obtained while there don't you? You obviously still have the burning desire for recovery don't you? And may I ask WHY you wont have another opportunity to go to rehab again? I know people who have been 15 times before they "got it"
Old 02-06-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Square one was when you were actively using with no plans on quitting...no desire to quit. THATS square one. You are exactly where you should be. You still want recovery don't you? How is THAT EVER 'square one' ??