Notices

Scared of counseling

Old 02-04-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared of counseling

Need opinions please. I have thought about finding a therapist to talk to to help me stay sober this time. The thing is, I am a mother and while I always take care of my kids, never drink in front of them, never drink and drive or do anything to ever put them at risk, I am worried that if I tell a counselor I'm an alcoholic they'll call CPS on me or something. Is this a possibility or am I being silly? Thanks
Old 02-04-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

All circumstances are different but when I visited a councellor he said everything was confidential and wouldn't leave the room unless I talked about hurting myself or anyone.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm sure someone here will have had similar experiences as yourself. Take care x
Old 02-04-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In Ontario, when I went to a therapist, if they felt my children were in harms way they were legally obliged to report.

In my case, she thought they werent in harms way so it was fine.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Brit - not sure about the UK, but in the US there is an American Counseling Association that has a code of ethics that protects you via "privileged communication" - therapist/client confidentiality. Anything you say to the counselor stays in the room. The only exception to that is if you threaten to harm yourself or another. Any professional counselor will go over all of this with you prior to beginning any treatment, and you can decide at that point what you want to divulge.

Counseling is a great idea by the way! Try and find a drug and alcohol counselor, although many general mental health counselors have training in D&A. There's a lot of theory out there too, so take your time and find someone who's approach makes you feel comfortable and that you trust. Combined with a support group like AA you will likely find it very beneficial to your sobriety.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. I'm in the US and that's what I thought but I've just heard horror stories and I have terrible luck already so just wanna be sure.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I'm sure it's all confidential. Someone once asked if she could tape our session for a case study and it would be deleted as soon as her supervisor had listened to her work. They are really good too in my experience, especially more recently. xxxx
Old 02-04-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can't imagine a bigger deterrent to treatment if everyone who had a drinking problem and kids were reported to CPS.

You can always make a call to places you're interested in going to and inquire without identifying yourself. In all the AA meetings I've been to, I've heard plenty of people talk about how their drinking led to their children being removed from the home. I've never heard someone say that seeking treatment led their children to be removed.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Counseling is confidential so don't worry unless the kids are in harms way. Go for it. I see a counselor and love it.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi brit

Counselling really helped me...I hope you decide to try it as well

D
Old 02-04-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I attend alcohol counselling and I have a young family. They will only take action if they believe your life or the life of another person is at risk.

You have said your children are not at risk.

The ground rules etc are laid out in the first session, so you will have a chance to ask questions and not go ahead if you are not comfortable. Don't need to give accurate name, address details either. I have my sessions over the phone and the counsellor only knows my first name.

I find it tremendously helpful. Go for it!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just started and felt they would think I was a terrible father. I have gone a few times now and I feel quite the opposite. My counselor can see that I am there trying to be a better father. If your kids are not in harms way then you are fine. Go for it. I really enjoy it and that is something I never thought I would say in a million years.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you decide to get the help you need.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

You have gotten some bad information above with comments like “I'm sure it's all confidential”. The fact is that there are “mandatory reporting laws” in many states (and many different countries). These laws require the reporting of abuse or neglect. Laws vary, but they require certain categories of people to report suspicion of abuse and/or neglect. Mandatory reporters can be limited (for example to health care providers and teachers) or they might include everyone. These laws require, under penalty of law, the reporting abuse or neglect of the most vulnerable people in society such as children or the elderly (many times other categories as well).

If your drinking is endangering others, then the most important thing is that everyone is safe. Don't let your fears prevent you from getting help. It will just end up harming you those close to you in the long run. I have never seen a bad outcome when everyone was honest and accepting help.

Here is a link to the reporting laws for different states. https://www.rainn.org/public-policy/laws-in-your-state