Notices

getting started

Old 02-02-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

Smile getting started

Hi! Have never been in a 'chat room' and can't even figure out how to post! I have been reading in here a lot lately and it has been soooo helpful that I decided to venture into the unknown (chat rooms) and join. Any help for a newcomer to this type of forum would be great.
To introduce myself and situation - I am a grateful recovering alcoholic with a new to recovery adult son who is an addict. Many challenges these days and I would like to thank everyone here for being a source of strength these past few weeks. Another tool for my belt! sending blessings…..
Old 02-02-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Lovenjoy. I don't use chat but post frequently. Your first post came out fine. Glad you're here.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lovenjoy - Welcome to SR! You did just great for a first post

You are what we call a double winner - both an RA (Recovering Addict and/or Addict) who is also a loved one of an A. I am, too This was also my first time at being on an online forum.

I've found the people here to be a tremendous amount of support. I hope you keep reading and posting.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-02-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you joined. The support is great.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

thanks for the welcomes! guess i'll figure things out as i go along. it's how i do most things and with such supportive people i'm sure i'll be right at home soon.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Lovenjoy.

I'm a double winner too.

As to tips- don't be afraid to post. Everyone here is friendly, so just try it out. Even if you post something in the wrong area or something, the mods are super friendly and will move it for you and point you in the right direction. You'll get the hang of it soon enough.

How long have you been sober for?

Don't know if you've made it over to the Friends and Family side of things, but you may find the Friends and Family of Substance Abusers section to be helpful to you with things regarding your son: Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 02-02-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lovenjoy, you are so welcome here! This is a place of joy and inspiration. Post often. Somebody is always on here and will talk to you. There's places to have fun, too. Just look at everything and put in your two cents. We're here for you!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

thanks DG! i've been sober for sixteen years. the first few i white knuckled
on my own. not the way to go. but through the grace of god i stayed sober and got into 12 step and much more. tools. it's all about tools for me, and i have many. we each find what works for us. support of others who know is huge. and yes i have been on friends and families, a lot, that will prob be where i'll mostly go. it is what brought me here and the thoughts and information and stories have already helped immensely! and whether my son knows or not it has helped him already through the understanding and acceptance i am getting. how goes your journey?
Old 02-02-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a very friendly supportive place. I'm glad you joined us.

This isn't actually the chat room. This is the forum. The chat room is at the top right of the dark blue bar.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Way to go on 16 years!! Glad to hear you've already found the friends and family section.

My journey is going well. 300 days no alcohol for me today. I'm thankful to be clean and sober these days.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR lovenjoy - I know you'll find support advice and understanding here.
best wishes to you and your son,

D
Old 02-02-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

thanks DG. it is always one day at a time for me. way to go on 300 days! that's awesome! what a beautiful world out here, huh!?