Notices

New to Sober Recovery and Struggling

Old 02-01-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face New to Sober Recovery and Struggling

Hello Everyone,

My name is Sarah and I just recently joined the Sober Recovery site, anyways I just wanted to introduce myself. I've never been on a site like this before, so this is all new to me. Just so you have a little history, I am a recovering drug addict and I have been clean since 5/21/2013. However, lately I have been struggling to maintain my positive attitude, I am having difficulty utilizing my coping skills I learned in rehab, and I've thought a lot about using recently. I was hoping that maybe if I reached out for support, that it might help me with my struggles and my battle with my addiction.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I had never registered for any site related to recovery because I was very suspicious (paranoid actually) of them. This site is the real deal. It's a great place to come when you need to vent, you feel alone, that craving is chattering in your mind, etc. There are many supportive people here. SR is one of the reasons I've held onto my sobriety as long as have.

So glad you've made it
Old 02-01-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Sarah. You're wise to look for some extra support. It's good to be self aware & admit you've been struggling. I hope being here with us will help. Congratulations on your sober time - well done.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah. I was feeling pretty down at the 8 month mark and that's when I started reading online a lot. I learned about PAWS or post acute withdrawal syndrome, it can kick in at 6 months and make us feel lousy. It's a sign your brain is repairing and may be what's going on. I felt really disconnected and depressed and just went with it. I wanted to feel better but like people pointed out, we used drugs and alcohol for a while, repair also takes time. Also, I wish I never had thoughts of getting buzzed but even at three years it creeps in occasionally. We've come this far, why give in now? Keep cruisin'!
-Ted
Old 02-01-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah. Welcome to SR.

I think it's natural to have some hard times even after several months. Reaching out for support can be so helpful because we've all been there.

It takes some time for new coping skills to become natural. Keep at it and it will become easier.

One thing that helps me to stay positive is to keep a daily list of things that I'm grateful for. It reminds me of all that I have going for me. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tude-list.html Perhaps a similar practice would be beneficial to you?
Old 02-01-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sarah,

Congratulations on your recovery and good for you for recognizing that you need to reach out for support at this time. There is lots of good information and support here, so I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

welcome Sarah.

Once I was over the initial part- it can get tough- I have to learn to live with myself and get by without my usual coping mechanism. It can be pretty raw and those first six months are the hardest. I think it helped me when I kept telling myself I would no longer run from pain or discomfort

I just kept plodding along- I still am - and it does work

I found the daily support group for the month really useful- it will be on the menu for the newcomers threads
Old 02-01-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

hiya Sarah - welcome to SR

D
Old 02-01-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to an awesome recovery site. Congrats on your clean time. I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sarah6412 View Post
Hello Everyone,

My name is Sarah and I just recently joined the Sober Recovery site, anyways I just wanted to introduce myself. I've never been on a site like this before, so this is all new to me. Just so you have a little history, I am a recovering drug addict and I have been clean since 5/21/2013. However, lately I have been struggling to maintain my positive attitude, I am having difficulty utilizing my coping skills I learned in rehab, and I've thought a lot about using recently. I was hoping that maybe if I reached out for support, that it might help me with my struggles and my battle with my addiction.
sarah it's ok to have stinking thingkin.just do not react on it.go to a meeting and use the skills they taught you in rehab.im a year and a half sober and struggling also.i talk to my sponser when i have the urge,and tell myself not today.good luck.