Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Hello!! I'm new!! Dating a recovering addict and would love all the advice I can get!

Notices

Hello!! I'm new!! Dating a recovering addict and would love all the advice I can get!

Old 01-31-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Hello!! I'm new!! Dating a recovering addict and would love all the advice I can get!

I'm a past addict now sober, and doing amazing. We've been together for 9 months now. He's almost a two weeks sober but prior to this was sober for 6 months, and I need all the advice on staying positive and working thought this one day at a time.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Congrats to you on staying clean. As far as your bf, just let him know you support his recovery. Are there boundaries in place as to what you will tolerate from him? Just support him without enabling him.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you!!

Well it's all still fairly new so not like concrete ones yet. But no lying, no disappearing, no communication to certain people, takes the car straight to work and back. Everything is still falling into place as far as right now.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Yes, do make some firm boundaries about what you are willing to accept or not.

Congratulations on your recovery.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm 21 and he's 23 trying to get on his feet and we're staying at my patents house so they have some rules set up. Should a relapse happen how should I handle it.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Joylynn

D
Old 01-31-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoylynnDanielle View Post
I'm 21 and he's 23 trying to get on his feet and we're staying at my patents house so they have some rules set up. Should a relapse happen how should I handle it.
boy that's a big question with a lot of variables and a lot of possible answers...

if I were you, I'd focus on the present and on taking the right steps and actions to ensure you both have support and a plan for sobriety and avoiding relapse.

Ask the "what should I do about relapse" question if and when it happens based on the situation. But for now, celebrate you are both clean and sober and work on doing everything you both can to strengthen that.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Have you considered going to Nar Anon?
Old 02-01-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yes but meeting are really hard to get to, but we try to go to as many as we can. I need like things to focus on to help him stay sober, idk if what im asking is to broad.