Notices

I am 30 and still live with my parents

Old 02-01-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Living at parents' house with no rent? Eating their food at dinner?

Invest, invest, invest. Work full-time and max out your 401K and IRA contributions. One year of saving now is three you can take off the back end when you retire early.

If I could go back and do it again I would have gotten an accounting degree or a trade degree as an electrician or something, then worked fulltime and lived in my parents' house until I was thirty, banking all my money into pre-tax investments and paying off any student loans, putting away a rainy day fund of a year's salary. Better to be looking at a quarter million in investment accounts at thirty than trying to save it from 30-50..

But nooo, I had to spend all my time on drugs sex and booze.

Okay I'll admit, that did have its moments . .
Old 02-01-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

If you would prefer to not live with your parents, is addiction or alcoholism keeping you from moving out? Or is it just a financial situation?
Old 02-01-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My sister has lived with my Mom off and on for 20 years. She is a drug addict and alcoholic. She sucks my Mom dry. She won't get a job. Seemed OK when she was 30. Now she is 50. How long is too long?
Old 02-01-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm very thankful to be living at my parent's place. Of course, I would like to be living on my own, and because i've been sober and my new job, I could get my own apartment. However, nothing beats free rent. If you have ever lived on your own, you'll realize that you need to pay for little things like detergent, soap, kitchen utensils, condiments, etc. Those little things add up, but if you are living at home, it's usually just there. There are pros and cons, but the main thing is that you are in a healthy state.

When I was living on my own, and I was active in my disease, I was just digging myself a deeper hole. I'm much more stable now, and because of that, I have more opportunities, including living on my own. Everything is temporary, and don't fixate too much on living with the parents.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm 31 and I live with my father. I did move out for a few years, but I came back. We get on really well, so it works for me. I still maintain my own independence in many ways though.