Notices

When newcomers disappear

Old 01-29-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Lilly88 View Post
I have been in and out of this forum for about 2 years. Only posted a few times. However I do read most posts every day and gain lots of advice and support just by doing this. What I am trying to say is just because you do not here from people does not mean they are not there. Just from reading other peoples stories has really helped me from having that first drink when I have been tempted. However I do seem to disappear when I am in a bad place, mainly due to the fact I am so ashamed of myself. However this time I intend to stick around :-) 5 days today!
That's great, Lilly xxx
Old 01-29-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you Katel.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan Dare View Post
How I miss CarolD. She was so welcoming and kind back in 2008 when I first had the nerve to post here.
And every time I came back she was exactly that.
I was stunned when I heard the news.
We love ya Carol, hope you're listening.
Where did Carol D go?
Is this person ok?
Old 01-29-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

CarolD was one of our longest serving members and mods.
She passed away last year Diva.

D
Old 01-29-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Lilly hit the nail on the head for me. I post when I am in need of venting, and love the responses, but I'm a wallflower. It takes a lot for me to say anything here (even this post lol), but I get a lot out of browsing and seeing people say things I would've could've should've said but didn't have it in me to. Day 3 and counting.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
That's the whole point though. Whether we are drunk sober or family of addicts we are all in the same frat house in my opinion. But I do understand why people sometimes refrain from posting. I probably would have too at one time xxx
Kate,
For what it's worth,
I'm glad we are friends.

~Dan
Old 01-29-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ok. So I have not been posting, I am a newbie even though I joined a few years ago I never really took sobriety seriously until a few months ago after my dad passed away and I promised him I would beat this. I still have not succeeded in sobriety. But, I am still trying, I just don't think my head is in the right place yet. I recently went 7 days and then relapsed. But, I still come here for encouragement and to support others and to remind myself why I need to get it right. Yes, it is embarrassing to post that you are done drinking, and you succeed for a few days only to fail and it is defeating and embarrassing. Thank you for your post Kate. I haven't given up my desire to never drink again. I somehow am able to find any and every excuse I can as to why it is okay to drink, that is the nasty AV which I have come to recognize now. I have been mostly educating myself lately about the disease here on SR in hopes that soon I will be at that point ready to NEVER DRINK AGAIN. At the end of the day, I am realizing that a lot of this stems from the fact that I don't feel that I deserve to be happy, so I drink. How pathetic is that? Anyway, there may be newbies here that just aren't posting, who have relapsed but are still learning and reading. Don't give up on us if we disappear, we need you and appreciate what you all do for us. Thanks for letting me share...
Old 01-29-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I definately don't want people to feel embarrassed or ashamed because they drank and then think that they can't post. This is not what this site is about anyways. I would never judge anyone as I relapsed over and over again many times. No matter where you are in recovery your post matters. Each post whether made in the good times or bad times, helps me in my recovery. I get something from all of them, there is a message in each and every single post here.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

it might also have to do with the way a lot of alcoholics isolate themselves emotionally and sometimes physically when they drink.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

KateL, I am sure many of us lurkers post to let you wonderful people know that we are out there and then don't post again. I read everyday but don't post regularly. 61 days thanks to all of you!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Think after we go back for some r&r, shame keeps us away. But mostly being real, upfront & tuf love just as in aa, some can't handle it
Old 01-29-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

In the words of Planet Fitness Gym, This is a no judgement zone!!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Thank you Katel.
You look like such a fine lady from your avi. You so deserve to be well and your posts are always worthy. I pray you find your inner peace, my lovely xxxxxx
Old 01-29-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by 1newcreation View Post
Think after we go back for some r&r, shame keeps us away. But mostly being real, upfront & tuf love just as in aa, some can't handle it
So sad although I do advocate that his forum is gentle and that is really beneficial. It is understandable to lose it and berate people who just keep falling off the wagon, but in my lifetime (which is looooong, I am old)I know it is hard to reason with a drunk and anger NEVER works,(Talk to them in the morning) and be gentle. They are ill. Perhaps I am too soft. I don't know. But I have helped people get sober, Just one would be enough really.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by kcbf View Post
Ok. So I have not been posting, I am a newbie even though I joined a few years ago I never really took sobriety seriously until a few months ago after my dad passed away and I promised him I would beat this. I still have not succeeded in sobriety. But, I am still trying, I just don't think my head is in the right place yet. I recently went 7 days and then relapsed. But, I still come here for encouragement and to support others and to remind myself why I need to get it right. Yes, it is embarrassing to post that you are done drinking, and you succeed for a few days only to fail and it is defeating and embarrassing. Thank you for your post Kate. I haven't given up my desire to never drink again. I somehow am able to find any and every excuse I can as to why it is okay to drink, that is the nasty AV which I have come to recognize now. I have been mostly educating myself lately about the disease here on SR in hopes that soon I will be at that point ready to NEVER DRINK AGAIN. At the end of the day, I am realizing that a lot of this stems from the fact that I don't feel that I deserve to be happy, so I drink. How pathetic is that? Anyway, there may be newbies here that just aren't posting, who have relapsed but are still learning and reading. Don't give up on us if we disappear, we need you and appreciate what you all do for us. Thanks for letting me share...
Thank you sweetheart. I wish you well xxxx
Old 01-29-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

When I started posting in September 2013, I recall being so proud of myself for making it 30 days and posted A LOT in that first month. Then, on what would have been day 30 if I recall, I slipped and spent the entire weekend drunk. I can still recall sitting in front of my computer on SR thinking I had to post that I slipped. I knew if I didn't I would probably leave in shame or not come back for awhile. I didn't want that. I wanted to be accountable to someone for my actions and I knew this was a safe place to do so. I'm SO GLAD I made that choice. I got nothing but support to get back on track and I felt a million times better after posting.

After that, I slipped a few more times and SR was a huge tool in helping me talk my way through why I slipped to better understand my addition. I'm coming up on three months sober this weekend and I know I got there through the support I received here on SR. I don't post as much these days but I'm still here and reading every day. I sign in daily in the 24 hour club for the added support and accountability (huge thanks to deeker and everyone who helps manage that thread).

So to all those who may have joined and are now lurking due to a slip/relapse, post about it and let us be there for you. Almost all of us have been in a similar place and we want to support you in whatever way we can. I have never encountered such a caring and understanding group of people as I have found here. Don't be a stranger!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I hear you KateL, for a while I often wondered the same. Lots of people with one post. At first I felt bad that for a brief moment they recognized that they needed help and came here only to give up when the urges set in.

Then I really thought about it and realized that I'm thankful that they did because there's something stirring in their mind that's telling them that they need help. It's activity in the right direction which is hope. As long as there's hope all is not lost.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I am just over a week here & sober. I have found all of you not only very informative, but kind, warm, supportive and definitely a place I love to come to as often as I can.

It usually takes me quite awhile to feel comfortable in new situations, but I already feel like this is a new, loving and wise home. I truly believe if I ever "fall" I would be able to come back asap to you guys.

Don't want to get all mushy but............
I am so thankful for my 1st day sober (last week) and finding YOU (SR) !!!

Lola
Old 01-29-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

When I first joined a someone referred to my story as not being an alcoholic but having a defect of character. That really hurt my feelings and I almost didn't come back. I'm sure glad I didn't let that one comment stop me because this website has been my Savior. Alcoholism isn't just one way or the other, black or white, cut and dry... Just be sensitive to the newcomer, as we are confused, lost and sensitive....
Old 01-29-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

as someone who actually changed my original user name because I figured people would get tired of hearing about me relapsing I can relate. I first joined here in late 2010 and now have 98 days sober. Longest sober time I have ever had since I don't know age 16? Anyway I miss Carol as well, she told me a couple things I remember the biggest, that every day sober is a victory. As far as newcomers disappearing, if I was using and stuck in my drunk I would stay away from here just like I would AA. Figure I didn't want help or better said anyone to mess with my delusions.