Notices

When newcomers disappear

Old 01-30-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Most people probably go back to lurking, like on any other forum.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

That's really funny about changing your username ! (just sayin)
Old 01-30-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Well i'm still here day 11
Old 01-30-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

What an interesting topic Kate I get worried too when people disappear and we don't hear from them.

I first came on here a couple of years ago under a different name. Each time after serious binges and with a vague notion that I should stop drinking. Both times I lasted about 5 days. The hangover faded and I returned to my 'normal life' of alcohol prescription and denial, feeling a bit ridiculous that I'd bothered people on a forum. I mean I wasn't one of them right?!

This time I knew it was for real. I don't know why, but I did. My earlier experience of SR and its members brought me back with a New name and new attitude. Almost 5 months later and I'm still here. I hope others that go away return like I did and sooner than I did too.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

RIP CarolD.

Your name echoes on SR still. I am humbled.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I visit this site almost daily but hardly ever post,i don't feel the need, other peoples stories of their experiences have helped me a lot in my sobriety I am now just a few weeks away from six months.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Wonderful xxx
Old 01-31-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

You are the best

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Sorry to interrupt but the Subject is newcomers that disappear. Carol was a long time user of SR.

Maybe the reference Kate is doing is what I often felt, if the "our welcome message" and the intent of the newcomer will help spark things for the individual.

Every time I welcome someone I hope something clicks for them. We all want to help, Kate is mostly dedicated to welcoming, so I see her point and her heart on her sleeve.
It does for some. IT did for me. You all are the reason I found strength within myself and stayed on. Kate can say so much with such few words. Im not sure how to explain it, but the way you all made me feel in beginning was amazing. I owe so much to my new and forever friends. I am starting to get sad when I notice newcomers that do not reappear. I wish they could stay on this journey with me.
I am thankful for all of you as well as how you showed me that my encouragement and words can help another so much.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I know I posted here a few times then went right back to drinking and of course didn't post then..that's what Twitter and texts are for
Old 01-31-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I stopped commenting on newcomers posts last autumn for a while, because it actually took me to a pretty dark place. I think that's partially because of my own history in recovery. I spent almost a month in a rehab facility and met a lot of people going through the system - and I thought we were rock solid. We all vowed that we'd stay in touch and keep sober. We talked about rebuilding our lives once we got back on the outside. We were going to have each others' backs, and help each other when times were tough. But after I got out, I started hearing the news: one by one, most of my old buddies from rehab went back out. It was like being told Santa Claus isn't real...it just crushed me. Weren't they listening? Were they lying the whole time? What on earth were they thinking going back to drugs and booze? I went from being sad...to being angry. Listening to newcomers on Day 1 here on SR talk about their hopes and dreams - it just rubbed salt in the wounds.

So I stepped away from SR for about a month. It took me a while to realize that becoming emotionally invested in someone else's recovery isn't for me - not yet. I'm still working on my own issues. I will continue to offer kind and encouraging words to newbies, but I can't worry about the overall success rate of new posters at this time. I salute those who have such optimism in their hearts to continue to root for each new member. And that's what makes this board so great - there's something for most everyone here.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

LOL at howmanytimes. Oh my I wish there wasn't truth in that!

I love seeing the newcomers coming in, it's a starting point.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

The Devil Wins

Hi 'Yall .

Where'd they all go.?.?.? Picture this: The little devil is sitting on his/her shoulder looking at the computer monitor display. It's Bright Eye. Devil says to himself: "uh oh! This ain't good. 'Gotta put some extra effort into the choice-to-drink to counter the positive influence those abstainers are creating. The devil wins.
Floyd.