Notices

Ruined my appearance

Old 01-23-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ruined my appearance

I have been a chronic alcohol for a decade, probably more actually.

I am REALLY trying now but I keep relapsing every few weeks, but there is a SMART recovery meeting in my town which I may try attending.

Anyway, assuming I manage to stay off the drink, will I be able to improve my appearance?

I looked at myself today and nearly cried, overweight, dark eye circles, horrible patchy complexion which is covered in spots/scars from spots.

If I manage to stay off the drink, eat healthily, exercise etc will any of this go away? or is it all permanent damage?

Thank you for any input!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Yamaha,

I've seen photos of people who were big drinkers that abstained and what they looked like 30 plus days after their last drink. They looked MUCH better. So, I am convinced those of us who manage to stay sober will see an improvement in our appearance. Best to you!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've heard many people say that their appearance improved after giving up drinking. Go for it and see the results yourself. I'm sure you'll see improvement.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

also; I can pretty much absolutely gurantee that if you choose and stick with sobriety, you'll look and feel FAR better in the years ahead than you will if you keep on drinking.

And you'll likely get a lot more of those years too....

Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My complexion began to look radically different very shortly after I got sober. I bet yours will improve too!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh, you are bound to look healthier, and when we feel better inside too, our outsides somehow improve. There's a light in people's eyes that comes on again, and that makes a world of difference.

Hoping this man's God goes with him, but yesterday at the train station, I saw a man I knew from meetings over 10 years ago. Either life has been very unkind, or he has not been able to maintain sobriety. He was so aged and worn looking.

Obviously, I'm a complete glamour puss (not) but that ten years has been kinder to me.

Be good to yourself
Old 01-23-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been given up 3 weeks, I have always had massive skin problems with drinking, blotchy skin spots, and greasy skin. But 3 weeks later with a bit of exercises and balance diet, my skin is crystal clear. No bags under eyes, look really healthy, and lost 5 pounds.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am going through the same thing, I look in the mirror and I just want to cry!! I am hoping too that staying sober will help.

About 10 years ago I lost a lot of weight, about 60 lbs., I looked better than I had in years. For whatever reason, shortly after that I began drinking... and put most of the weight back on over the years.
Add 10 years of binge drinking (and a lot more wrinkles) and well, I'm not looking so hot either, lol.

I really believe that fitness and eating right is a huge part of recovery, and it certainly will help with getting back into shape and feeling good again.
Give it time, you didn't do the damage overnight. And stay sober.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When looking in the mirror we tend to see something totally different then what other people see
Old 01-23-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
When looking in the mirror we tend to see something totally different then what other people see
Amen to that. I have quite low confidence and remind myself of this all the time.

As others have said, a healthy lifestyle can vastly improve your appearance
Old 01-23-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

With maintaining sobriety I got less sweaty and itchy , less blotchy red face , less puffiness in my face , less spots , i gained 30 lbs but have now lost 40 ( i figured ice cream was allowed if i didn't have alcohol) .

I think most successfully and happy sober people have a calm confidence that is appealing and glows out of them . Sobriety has turned my life around , i hope you stick with it

Bestwishes, m
Old 01-23-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
Ah, that's so, so true - or at least I hope it is!

My husband says I am looking much, much better and am so much more alive than I used to be. He first said this within a month of my not drinking.

It's the psychological difference, though, that amazes me. While I still might shudder occasionally when I catch sight of myself unexpectedly, I have loads more confidence and I even like myself and think I scrub up quite well sometimes! That is awesome for me and I wouldn't trade this feeling for the world!

Stick with it, yamaha, it's so worth it!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Sober chicks are hot.

Just sayin'
Old 01-23-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well I have said this before in many other posts, but I know for a FACT when we abstain from drugs/alcohol for a lengthy period of time we get BETTER LOOKING.
Like I always considered myself to be somewhat attractive. Now, hands down, very good looking guy.
I have been to inpatient treatment twice and have seen women that look like absolute train wrecks come out of treatment with 3 months sobriety, mind blowing, stunningly beautiful. Its like a special glow. Its a wonderful transformation.
Another example, my ex looked like she was eating garbage scraps, overweight, pale, blemishes, overall sick looking like she crawled out of living in a dump truck (before sobriety) to literally the most beautiful women I have ever dated. EVER!!! No joke ahhaha.
Its CRAZY!!!! too bad it didnt work out but thats another post.
Good luck, and think of all you have to look forward too!!! Its the TRUTH!!!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Definitely you will look and feel better! Make drinking lots of water part of your recovery!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes your appearance will improve. Follow a healthful diet, drink lots of water and see your doctor about vitamins and minerals. If you can afford to get regular facials for a few month with the money you save from not buying alcohol, that will help too. Give it a few months, a lot will get better. Try and see about some regular exercise too, even if it's just walking a bit more.

Love from Lenina
Old 01-23-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can feel a difference after just four days. My daughter told me last night "daddy there's something different about you."

I wanted to smile and cry. Has she only seen the road maps in the eyes dad?

Either way yes, you will improve, how could you not. Keep going and fighting the good fight.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes you will look much better! This is kind of random but if you get pure raw honey, rub it all over your face and leave it for 15-20 mins then rinse with warm water it makes your skin so soft and fresh looking. Try it!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Quitting makes a difference and your skin will get better. My skin was horrible while I was drinking. You could tell I was drinking if you saw my skin. Blotchy/patchy/blemishes. Now almost completely clear except for the occasional spot. I've written on this before but after I got sober I got caught by the ads for skin products with "bb cream." Didn't know what it was. Still am not sure. But using it every day has really, really seemed to help.

As to weight, I always drank my meals so was very underweight. I've been eating more sensibly now so have gained weight plus, like Mecanix I started substituting ice cream for alcohol.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Your appearance will absolutely improve! After drinking heavily and daily for over five years, I looked horrible. I don't even want to talk about how downhill my looks went. But within maybe three months, my yellow eyes were bright white again. Before that, the puffiness was long gone, I'd lost a ton of weight and gained some muscle mass, and I was taking care of my skin again so that made a huge difference. Things continued to improve as I did the things that everyone has to do to look good but it really all went back to what it was.