Notices

Ruined my appearance

Old 01-23-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I was lucky not to get red, bloated and patchy but I had very dark circles under my eyes. Those went away after about a month of sobriety.
Make sure you stay hydrated and also get some vitamin e cream for it. Combined with good rest (you don t get proper sleep when you pass out) it should go away
Old 01-23-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've seen a few members on this forum post 'before and after' pics of themselves when they got sober. The difference is astonishing.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

I look better today than I did almost 3 years ago. I'll be 53 in April.....
Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reassurance everyone. I have been exercising fairly regularly for the past few months but then after a few weeks I start drinking again (like HEAVILY, maybe 1.5 litres vodka per day for a week/2 weeks then stop again for two weeks etc).

It will be day 6 tomorrow with no alcohol, I really need some kinda strategy to avoid drinking again. I have tried AA and I can say it really is not for me. I am considering going to a SMART recovery group but I am super nervous!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Your physical appearance will definitely improve over time in your sobriety.

I am only on day 6 and my face is much, much less bloated and my eyes look healthier. People at work (who don't know about my issues around alcohol) were saying how "radiant" I look today).

Just be kind to your body all around (diet, exercise, etc)...and you will see a huge difference, for sure.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'll chime in too Yamaha. When I was drinking I was very pale & puffy, sort of a gray complexion - plenty of 'gin blossoms' on nose & cheeks - swollen stomach - red eyes. Even my hair was falling out & nails breaking due to being malnourished. About a month after quitting everything began to change. Most of the wreckage from drinking has improved or disappeared.

Glad to have you with us Yamaha.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Just 30 days will make a huge difference!! Keep at it!! Drink lots of water it helps the body flush the toxins quicker and helps the bloating! You CAN do this!!! I heard u mention smart recovery. Have unconsidered AA? Don't tel the god thing scare u away - I'm not religious at all and AA saved my life that's all!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I don't think that by staying off the drink you can improve your appearance.
but yer body will do it for you.
is it permanent damage? that's hard sayin. its pretty amazing the damage that a body can repair on it own.
but I hope ya look at all of the emotional and mental damage alcohol has done and be more concerned with that.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Here's what's happened for me. I'm on Day 33. For the first few weeks, I would wonder -- shouldn't I be looking better by now? But then after two weeks, the changes started showing up dramatically. I lost the five pounds I've been trying to lose for the last 5 years. My stomach bloat disappeared completely.

And my skin! I used to get botox every 3 months because it was the only way I could look like I got a good night's sleep. I was due for an appointment when I quit drinking but I didn't schedule it. Now, a little over a month later, I don't need it. My skin is replenishing before my eyes.

So yes, your appearance will improve. Between that and how much better you feel about yourself -- looking in the mirror is a completely different experience. I used to not want to meet my own eyes in the mirror. No more of that now.

You can do it.

Jackie
Old 01-23-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

I am only a week sober and 2 ladies at work made a comment about how clear and smooth my skin looked. It was the greastest pick me up ever! I really needed that because I looked terrible with the red, blotchy patches, puffiness and black eyes, plus constant battle with acne. I sure didn't expect a change that quickly and didn't even notice myself! It will happen, just wait for it.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My appearance has definitely improved. After about a month, the puffiness went down, my eyes were no longer bright red and bloodshot, and my skin was much clearer. Everyone has noticed! Throughout my drinking career, and especially in the last two years I had gained about 50 pounds of fat, most of it in my gut. After four months I'm down about 20 pounds with more to go, but it's coming off through exercise and a healthy diet.

That's just the physical stuff. The emotional and mental improvements are also great!
Old 01-24-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I looked a lot older than I do now before I quit the booze and that was ten years ago. The spark will come back xxx
Old 01-24-2014, 02:39 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I know about the emotional stuff etc, my main reason for wanting to quit if the fear of losing my ******* mind, my memory is terrible, I want to finish my degree someday (dropped out due to drinking) and I know that wont be possible if I am still drinking.

And it is stupid how |I think alcohol 'helps' me, when everytime I drink I just wake up to the absolute wreckage I have caused whilst drinking (upsetting people, too hungover to keep up commitments, room an absolute mess with bottles everywhere) ha, help me? I must be ******* insane.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Absolutely it will get better . But it takes patience as all other things fall into place . I'm 51 and look much better than i did 6 months ago .

My skin is clearer , no puffiness , no more dark circles ,my bloated stomach has disappeared , my hair is thicker & shinier but the downside is i have put on weight .

I'm happy to take that as bargaining against alcohol .
I have had a real sweet tooth since not drinking . Now that I'm 6 months sober I'm addressing that and weaning myself off gradually .

I promise you , you wont be sorry , you have so much to look forward to .

Including a healthy brain again xx
Old 01-24-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

There's no alternative but to look better if you quit drinking. Alcohol robs our body of vital nutrients and excessive amounts of water. It's a poison, after all. If we quit putting poison in our bodies, not only will we feel a whole lot better, it will show on the outside, too.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

do you think its possible to BEGIN building a good career in your late 2os?
Old 01-28-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Definitely. I started a second career at 27....and a third one here in my forties

It's never too late to be who you might have been

D
Old 01-28-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

The first day I quit drinking I was so hungover I could barely stand. Somehow I made it to the hairdressers for a cut and colour as I refused to miss the appointment because my hair looked so awful. I will never forget the sight in the mirror that day. Red shiny nose with a huge nasty spot on it, bloodshot watery eyes, dry wrinkly skin, sore chapped lips, face all puffy. My hair was falling out in patches and my hairdresser kept commenting on it. 3 months later this has all gone. I never would have believed it. I am no super model but I now get compliments from complete strangers. Unbelievable. And I don't stink like an old ashtray which helps.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yamaha View Post
do you think its possible to BEGIN building a good career in your late 2os?
It's never too late! And you've gotta think that you are really in your prime for hiring. Don't worry about it being too late until your 6 ft underground. As long as you have the drive you can do anything.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

I definitely look better than I did a year ago. Better, healthier, cleaner.