Notices

7 days sober

Old 01-19-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 days sober

7 days sober (alcohol) and not feeling to well. I'm on a graves' work/sleep schedule. I was fine for the first 3 days or so, but the dizziness (which still continues) hit me at about day 4. I have moments where I feel great, but I also have moments like right now-anxious, jittery, dizzy. I can deal with the anxiety but the dizziness is kinda scary.
I started drinking when I was 15 and I'm 34 now. When I quit smoking weed at about 26, my alcohol consumption picked up significantly. For the last 10 years or so I have put my body/mind through hell. I've tried AA before and read some books, but apparently was not ready to quit. Not only does my gut tell me I really am quitting this time, but after detoxing for 7 days now, I never want to go through this **** again. Typically I would only get anxiety with my hangovers-bad attacks...like been to the hospital a couple of times because of hangover anxiety.
It has been a vicious cycle. I would drink 15-20 beers after work then wake up and pop 2 anxiety pills then off to work. After work the following day, I would feel fine then drink again. So my life has been drink on Mon. Take anxiety pills on Tues. Drink on Wed. and so on......For 10 years. I've been binge drinking for about 20 years (man that sounds crazy to say!!!)
I know it varies with everyone, but is there anybody with a similar experience to mine who can say how long it took for the anxiety, jitters and dizziness to go away? I'm in this for the long haul and I realize that it will be some time before I feel "cleansed", but for now I'm just concerned with the ongoing withdrawals/dizziness. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

to SR Vincenz Have you considered seeing a doctor about your symptoms? It might just be that you're coming down with something. Best to get checked out I think

I had dizziness etc for a while too - I found avoiding caffeine and drinking lots of hot sugary water helped.

Glad to have you with us!!
Old 01-19-2014, 02:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I cut caffeine out of my diet about 2 years ago because of anxiety. Are you suggesting sugar because the body breaks alcohol down into sugar and that's why people feel this way when they quit? Thanks for the welcome!
Old 01-19-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hadn't actually related the two but I, like many, found sugar cravings after stopping.
We're not allowed to give out medical advice on here
Old 01-19-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There's a ton of sugar in alcohol so you crave it when it's gone. I let myself have as much sugar as I wanted for about 3-4 months.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done on 7 days. I hope you feel better soon xxxx
Old 01-19-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Agreed

Originally Posted by Skye2 View Post
:
I had dizziness etc for a while too - I found avoiding caffeine and drinking lots of hot sugary water helped.

Glad to have you with us!!
Excessive caffeine gives me anxiety and makes me dizzy. I'm 7 days sober and just realized this a couple days ago.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a ton of sugar cravings in the first month after quitting. I did not challenge them and allowed myself a little leeway with the sweets.

I have now cut back my sugar and carb intake and have adopted a much healthier diet. It was like going through another detox sort of, but since breaking the sugar habit, my alcohol cravings have also dropped to an all-time minimum.

I think I am going to treat myself to some cookies tonight though. We can't be perfect now can we?

Also, great job on seven days!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job on 7 days Vincenz. I can't wait to say that.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by startingnew2 View Post
Great job on 7 days Vincenz. I can't wait to say that.
Stick with SR and you'll be saying it in no time
Old 01-19-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Vincenz, well done on 7 days. After stopping I ate loads of ice cream, couldn't understand it but realise now it was replacing sugar I had in the booze.

Keep checking in here at SR, it's been a great help to me and sure it will be to you.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

everything breaks down into sugar when we digest it......

eat well and energize yourself. Healing still takes Time.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
jkb

Hi Vincenz-

Your story reminds me so much of the way I used to live. Drink to blackout and then get up pop a klonopin AND a xanax and off to work I would go. Anyway, I just wanted to throw my two cents in here.

When I quit initially I had a few really bad months. Then things got better but, some days I just feel "off" still. I will sometimes work 16 hours go home and sleep for 5-6 and then get up and work 16 hours again. Those days I can almost guarantee I wont feel well. Dizzy and nervous.

Anyway, I attribute some of it to PAWS and some to exhaustion.

Keep it up though. It is better on the other side.

Jess
Old 01-19-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

7 Days is Fantastic!! keep pushing through!!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the replies and support! Feeling good today. Had a dizzy spell earlier, but it ended much quicker than the previous ones. I imagine its a chemical imbalance thing. I'm trying to take it as a good sign that my body is correcting itself.