Notices

how long after quitting does PAWS start?

Old 06-09-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Free.

Serotonin: YES, I’ve experienced it almost exactly as you’ve listed.
Another I would add is clumsiness. I had the dropsies just a few days ago. Dropped almost everything that I handled for a few hours one afternoon. (at about 10 weeks sober)

I’ve heard of PAWS (post-acute withdrawal ) symptoms starting at even less than 3 weeks sober.
The treatment center I was in a few years back was really big on having us recognize PAWs and journaling any symptoms.

Your list seems very familiar. You are not odd.

Dee’s digital dharma link: symptom list is a virtual match to yours as well.

Stay well.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just to point out that while discussion of PAWS as a topic is always germane, the original poster of this thread hasn't been active on SR for over 5 years and is unlikely to respond to comments.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I agree.

I made that comment with a tongue-in-cheek levity.

I've been hit pretty hard with insomnia in my early sobriety here - but today at the Gratitude Tuesday meeting I shared my gratitude for insomnia. Because I'd rather be awake and clear-headed at 3 am and up to see the sunrise and participating on this forum in the wee hours than suffering with a hangover or numbing my mind and my emotions with a fountain of booze.
Amen to that.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If you didn't have acute withdrawals would you still have PAWS?
Old 07-06-2020, 11:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Makeright View Post
By the end of my alcoholic adventures, I'd put my poor brain through so many withdrawal cycles that I no longer had much in the way of acute withdrawals. I was in a constant misery of ongoing withdrawal symptoms which getting drunk only slightly relieved. When I finally quit for good, those symptoms peaked briefly and then settled in for the long haul. It was weeks before I felt even a little better, months before I began to have good days, and years before the good days outnumbered the bad ones.

That said, my experience was pretty extreme, and far outside the norm. I doubt most people would have long-term withdrawal issues without having gone through acute withdrawals first. And it seems like there's typically a gap between when acute withdrawals subside and the post-acute symptoms make their appearance.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Makeright View Post
i didn’t have acute withdrawal really. The first time I experienced withdrawal it was after a Xmas party and I was going about my day then WHAM! I became suddenly paranoid, extreme anxiety, crying the lot. I didn’t know what was going on. Physically I would dry heave, itch all over and have brain zaps that felt like electricity in the brain which would then flow down my body and make me shudder. But I had the brain zaps with PAWS. So although I may have had acute withdrawal it kind of merged and became PAWS. There was no gap. I think everyone is different. I never got why you would go a month feeling amazing when you got downregulated GABA receptors and then get PAWS. But what do I know?

I do now have relief some days but the waves are still just as debilitating. 8.5 months sober